My new free 1986 Jaguar XJ6!

That's actually not too terrible, I don't know how much that jag alternator costs but I assume over 200 bucks.

While maintaining my former live-in's fleet of Volvos, I found prices for those more obscenely priced than parts for my Jaguars, and more frequently needed. The only reliable one she ever had (hand-picked by me), she managed to total while putting on makeup, hitting another woman putting on makeup head-on. To top it off, she got her stiletto heel caught under the floormat and never hit the brakes. Yeah, there's definitely worse things than Jaguar upkeep.

I've been driving the Jag around quite a bit, started running premium in it, seems to be happier. Averaging around 15mpg.

But....

Interesting happenings tonight.

I only got one set of keys to the Jaguar.
This evening at Wal-Mart, the key snapped off in the ignition.
I was half a mile from the previous owner (who is a good friend).
So I called her after trying to start the car with a screwdriver (all the necessary bits of the key were in the lock).
She hadn't found the spare set of keys, but looked around for about 10 minutes while on the phone with me.
She couldn't find them, but offered to give me a lift home.
On her way out, she checked an old jewelry box she hadn't opened in a long time. In there were the spare set of keys to my Jag.

She brought them up to me and it started just fine. Karma was definitely with me tonight.

Get keys cut!

:thmbsp:

Especially since in that particular model it *is* possible to accidentally lock the keys in the car with it running at 2:00 a.m. on a night when it's five degrees and the thing's on fumes which is why you're going to the gas station and it costs about $75.00 to have a guy come out and spend 45 seconds opening the thing with a slim jim. :yes: :para:

Not that I'd do that or anything. :D

I've done that on my BMW - once. Fortunately it wasn't running, but it was certainly a PITA.

Get keys cut!

Got two more ignition keys today. Local Ace hardware couldn't do it, but recommended a locksmith a couple miles away. He didn't have the exact blank, but a Datsun one looked REAL similar. Tested it in the ignition, perfect fit.

I'd bet I'm the only person with Datsun ignition keys to a Jaguar. :D

What he said. And keep a spare at home too. The other OE keys may also be brittle.

The keys I got are much, much more durable-feeling than the OE key that I have. My mechanic also shot some lubrication into the lock cylinder. Feels smoother now.

Well, today marks 3 years of Jaguar ownership!

Certainly a lot has changed, but the Jaguar still runs as well as it ever has. Haven't had to do anything to it other than replace the horns, wipers, and flush the radiator, and I've driven it about 6000 miles.

Next year I should have enough money to start bodywork.

Most recently I cruised about 80 miles a couple weeks ago to go look at an Astro van (which I bought, more on that later).

One of the wheel center cap covers fell off driving at 2am, and I found the outer housing, but the rest is missing.

Wow!

I’ve had this car for six years, and it’s been the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I’ve put about 11,000 miles on it, put two batteries in it, horns, and an alternator.

Too bad it’s got so much rot, I wish I had the funds to fix it!

So, after 2640 days of Jaguar ownership, I have passed the torch of my 1986 Jaguar XJ6 on to my best friend since third grade, Lew. 7 years, 2 months, 24 days. A lot has happened in that time-I lost my entire maternal lineage, the adoptive grandmother who gave me the Jaguar in the first place, bought a house, found a lovely girlfriend, and achieved some of my lifelong dreams. What a ride.

A brief backstory:

Lew's parents introduced me to Ron and Judy when I was in third grade, first for Ron to mentor me as both a father and grandfather figure, and then as years went on, a grandfather figure. They owned the Jaguar from 1994-2012. It was always a part of my life, being the most interesting vehicle anyone in my social circle owned. In fact, I was offered the car on my 16th birthday, and declined, citing an awareness of the maintenance costs for keeping it on the road full-time. After Ron passed, I helped Judy revive the car in preparation for its consignment sale, and she offered it to me again at that point. By this point in my life, I could afford to have a second car that could be a nice Sunday driver, and I eagerly accepted ownership. They had no grandchildren.

I kept the car on the road, and managed to keep it in a garage or under a carport for the entire time I had it, but realized that I would never be able to improve its already rusted condition, or restore it to its proper glory. Despite the Jaguar reputation of unreliability, it has been the most consistently reliable vehicle I have ever owned-never requiring a flatbed. Of course, very little in the way of accessories worked correctly, and there isn't a body panel free of rust (except perhaps the trunk and hood), it served me well as an alternate vehicle. In the 63,360 hours I owned it, I put about 15,000 miles on the odometer. Initially, my goal was to enjoy it for a while, and then sell it once the first costly repair was required to keep it on the road. That repair never was required, so my next goal was to keep it until Judy (who had become my adoptive grandmother) had passed-which occurred this February.

After much soul searching and consulting with friends and family, I decided it was unwise to keep ownership further, with a lot of maintenance coming due, and a desire to clear garage space for other projects, I listed it for sale. I wept as I posted the ad, but realized it was for the best. No one was interested, once they understood the condition of the car. It leaks oil, transmission fluid, the sunroof hasn't ever been watertight, it's stuck on heat, cruise is out, has an exhaust leak, idles rough, and the worst part is: the rust. If it hadn't have been rusty, I would have kept the car forever and chased its problems until it was showroom new. I was getting close to donating the car to an auction to benefit one of the wonderful public radio stations in this town, but....

Then, out of the blue, Lew mentions that he wants the car, but doesn't have any money. I was a little surprised, but realized that he has both storage space and mechanical inclination, and has known about the car far longer than I have. There was no way I would take a single cent for transferring ownership of the car, but as the car was given to me, it's forbidden to gift a vehicle twice. So, I suggested we write up the sale for $300, so the state gets their little slice of the pie, and we can avoid any issues of title transfer.

Last night, Lew came up to town, and we did the paperwork, and off he went. It's made it about 200 miles back to his new home, and runs just like a top. I look forward to seeing what he can do with the car, and hope it brings him as much joy as it has me.

3,801,600 minutes well spent.

00-.jpg 00--3.jpg 00--5.jpg 00--6.jpg 00--7.jpg 00--8.jpg 67111101_10161703200635467_3999006386737381376_o.jpg 67114078_10161703200495467_7009499266884304896_o.jpg 67077915_10161703200735467_4030412166858276864_o.jpg 67583769_10161703084130467_3809753961418719232_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hey David, congrats on doing so well with the Jaguar and for passing it on AND keeping it in the family. Please update us on the rest of your life story that you alluded to for those of us who haven't been able to follow you (I haven't been as active on AK as previously).

Are you still rockin the station wagon?

Back
Top Bottom