My new IRS Betas, and a few questions.

^^^Paul is right on.
Getting the emims and emits apart require a simple jig to separate the clam with out the magnets clicking together and smashing the diaphragm between them. There are lots of threads with pictures. I just use a piece of wood and long finishing nails which can fit through two diagonal tapped holes on the emits and use the mounting holes (all four) on the emims. Emits you just remove two screws which are diagonal, place it over the nails, hold it down and remove the other two screws. Emims you just place the drivers mounting holes on your nails, hold it down and carefully remove the six outer screws. Do not remove the four inner screws as they hold the frames on to the clam.
Btw great job buying those speakers. Congratulations!
Jim

Thanks for the info, I just purchased a replacement EMIM but may try the diaphragm replacement in the future if needed. Is there a source for the material?

I was one of the one first people to contact the seller and was told her late husband treated these better than anything else in his life. I drove 8 hours round trip in a rented cargo van, and moved all 3 massive boxes into my basement without any assistance. What a day that was but it was all worth it the minute I heard that massive, detailed sounstage and imaging. Along with all original paperwork, I also got the original Stereophile they were reviewed in along with a 27 page Infinity pamphlet that included that review along with The Absolute Sound's review and many other articles.IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2566.jpg

"Is there a source for the material?"

The source for EMIT replacement diaphragms is EMIT tweeters. You don't have to buy an EMIT matching your damaged one. You only need to buy an EMIT tweeter with a good diaphragm you can use, which is far as I can tell, is any of them.

Emim after market diaphragms are expensive. Apogee Acoustics makes a superior drop in replacement. They are not cheap though and come from Australia (maybe New Zealand?) If you google them you’ll find them. I use six of them n my RSIIb with very pleasing results. They might not be in production as the buzz about the replacements has kind of worn off.
Be very careful with the Low frequency Emim as they are hard if not impossible to replace. If they do buzz it would be best to call Millersound as they can sometimes fix that large driver.

Back
Top Bottom