My new Marantz 2230, in need of some care....

Bert 1100

This came from our swiss auction site, with a BIN of about 130 USD, advertised as "non working" because one channel was dropping out intermittently.
So I thought, hmmm this could be a nice birthday present to myself :D

Basically it is all working, it is the mono/stereo switch causing the dropouts, nothing a shot or two of deoxit won't take care of...

But it is in need of big deep cleanup !
In time it will get fully restored, not very soon though, I have too many projects in the pipeline already :crazy:

A few photos :

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

AAAAaaarrrrr :mad: ! Why ???? and they are glued on the actual scale, not at the front !

IMG_2889.JPG

Oooops, what happened there ? All components look undamaged and all functions are working. We'll see more when it comes apart...

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

Notice anything odd on the phono board ?

IMG_2897.JPG

I'll start a new thread when I get to the resoration !

Looks like a 2sc458 has already been replaced on the phono board. But just one of them!

Watch out for the caps on the driver boards. I've seen the leads corrode right off.

Does all of that char align with the power switch? Perhaps it went south in the past and was replaced.

There is a 150 ohm, 5 watt resistor behind that pass transistor shown in Post #1 that runs hotter than blazes. On mine, it was installed flat against the board, which had heat discoloration. I replaced it with 2*300 ohm, off the board. I understand that it was under the board on early production runs and moved topside due to the heat.

EDIT: R018, possibly.

triac 2230.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom