My new MC 452

Agreed, the C47 is all you need.....I wanted a C50 when I was purchasing, but it was too much money for me, and the technician in me said "the C48 is probably mostly the same but without the Meters, and 3 bands less on the EQ and a couple less inputs".....I got the C48 and I have been very happy with it, I never use the EQ anyway......
I am still happy with it....can't see any reason to upgrade, well, a C47 would be nice, but out of my reach financially these days...

I’ll look at the C47. I just read a review in the absolute sound that praised the c52 as being as good as there is. I would like for my pre amp to have a good mc phono stage and a good sounding dac. The meters aren’t really important.

I’ll look at the C47. I just read a review in the absolute sound that praised the c52 as being as good as there is. I would like for my pre amp to have a good mc phono stage and a good sounding dac. The meters aren’t really important.
I think you'll find the DAC and the Phono pre's are very likely to be exactly the same......

The meters are important. We need all the meters we can get :rolleyes: .

I bought my C52 from Ryan at AC early last year. Its condition was B1, which mean you can't tell that it was ever used, including the remote. I paid $4700 plus s/h.
Anyway, it is nothing short of remarkable. Just like a wire with gain and no sound of its own. The remote is a finely engineered component also. I can't comment on the MC phono because my two cartridges are MM. I had a Parasound P5 that had all of the features I wanted and great reviews, but I knew in the end that only a Mac preamp would make me happy. My 275 Mk V and restored 2100 are happy, too!

In June, TAS also reviewed it in great depth:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mcintosh-c52-solid-state-preamplifier/

Happy Hunting!

Start saving and do a regular search weekly for a C100 or C200 in the price range of $3500 or low. If and when you see one act on it.

Start saving and do a regular search weekly for a C100 or C200 in the price range of $3500 or low. If and when you see one act on it.
You're as bad with those ancient pre-amps as I am telling everyone to buy MC452's!! :yikes:

You're as bad with those ancient pre-amps as I am telling everyone to buy MC452's!! :yikes:
A 20 year old flagship analogue 2ch preamp isn't very old, A 20 old entry level digital / analogue 2ch preamp will be ancient well before it turns 20. ;)

When the C100 was made in 1998, there wasn't very many digital cameras. Kodak modified cameras like the Cannon EOS 1n by adding a digital back because Canon nor Nikon had professional digital cameras yet. Professional companies like the media would buy them at $20,000.00 each. Kinda a clunky 2 mega pixel camera that needed all sorts of support to transfer the images to a computer. They would then need to reduce the size of that image and zip file it to get it to their headquarters over severely limited email, or send a fax of the image. Today you can find these camera bodies for $150.00 or less. But the problem is getting them to work with todays computers.

I bring this up because today a $400 iPhone can do a lot more and has other uses than a $20,000.00 SLR did in 1998. Conversely a 2009 iPhone 4 without anymore support from apple has troubles talking to apples OS today. As soon as you buy something digital the clock is ticking to obsoleteness, it may not even talk to a computer in 10 years.

I bought my C100 used 5 years ago and now it's 20 years old, but I'll never need to worry about what the digital world is doing. I can simply add current digital equipment every few years or as needed.

IMG_3476.JPG IMG_3479.JPG IMG_3481.JPG

Last edited:

I followed this great advice a couple years ago and it's effectively ended my search for an excellent Mcintosh preamp. Old-outdated or not one would have to spend a lot of coin to equal these 2 piece pre-amps.

A 20 year old flagship analogue 2ch preamp isn't very old, A 20 old entry level digital / analogue 2ch preamp will be ancient well before it turns 20. ;)

When the C100 was made in 1998, there wasn't very many digital cameras. Kodak modified cameras like the Cannon EOS 1n by adding a digital back because Canon nor Nikon had professional digital cameras yet. Professional companies like the media would buy them at $20,000.00 each. Kinda a clunky 2 mega pixel camera that needed all sorts of support to transfer the images to a computer. They would then need to reduce the size of that image and zip file it to get it to their headquarters over severely limited email, or send a fax of the image. Today you can find these camera bodies for $150.00 or less. But the problem is getting them to work with todays computers.

I bring this up because today a $400 iPhone can do a lot more and has other uses than a $20,000.00 SLR did in 1998. Conversely a 2009 iPhone 4 without anymore support from apple has troubles talking to apples OS today. As soon as you buy something digital the clock is ticking to obsoleteness, it may not even talk to a computer in 10 years.

I bought my C100 used 5 years ago and now it's 20 years old, but I'll never need to worry about what the digital world is doing. I can simply add current digital equipment every few years or as needed.

View attachment 1252336 View attachment 1252337 View attachment 1252338
I love your passion, you're a real hoot!! :thumbsup:

Speaking of "speakers finally getting the power they want"...

I'll have to admit, my 452 sure woke-up my little JBL L100a's (as I look to the heavens thanking God and McIntosh for Power Guard.)

I’ve finally had a chance to really listen to my new amp and I have to say it’s impressive. I’m listening to Jackson Browne, “ the Pretender”, at pretty high volume and I’ve never heard my Aerial 7t’s scound like this. The bass notes, the drum strikes are just amazing, the presence of the music in the room is incredible. My Vincent amp sounded pretty good but this is just another level. Using my Vincent as a pre amp, the 452 just seems to make the music come alive.
Congratulations! i am running my new MC452 with Aerial 10Ts and it is absolutely impressive! I have experienced exactly what you are describing. My MC2205s were great, but the 452 has taken the music to a new level of excellence! Long listening sessions indeed, I have been in a serious sleep deficit since the MC452 arrived! :music:

Last edited:
If you are not using the graphic controls you are missing out on most of the joy of having them. Having owned pre amps with variable controls stepped controls and graphic controls I wouldn't consider a pre-amps now with out the graphic controls when listening to analog sources.

If you are not using the graphic controls you are missing out on most of the joy of having them. Having owned pre amps with variable controls stepped controls and graphic controls I wouldn't consider a pre-amps now with out the graphic controls when listening to analog sources.

I agree that people shouldn't be afraid to use tone controls, which can help to compensate for various mastering and recording anomalies, room acoustics, and much else. However none of the devices being discussed here have graphic controls.

I agree that people shouldn't be afraid to use tone controls, which can help to compensate for various mastering and recording anomalies, room acoustics, and much else. However none of the devices being discussed here have graphic controls.
I have found since I have reached a certain level with my gear, the EQTone controls get used less and less....
But they are rather nice to have for the odd occasion when you do need them...
I wouldn't have a system without tone controls....

I have found since I have reached a certain level with my gear, the EQTone controls get used less and less....
But they are rather nice to have for the odd occasion when you do need them...
I wouldn't have a system without tone controls....

I as well use the graphic controls very little or not at all since doing extensive room treatment and getting a sub. Prior to that I used a specific setting on the graphic controls all the time with all music, adjusting them only slightly for an odd recording. But yeah, I wouldn't own a Mc preamp without at least the 5 bands.

Back
Top Bottom