1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

My new MCS 3249

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Vintage Unit, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Vintage Unit

Vintage Unit New Member

After shopping around various local venues for a vintage tuner, I picked up this unit for $12 with an old (probably garbage) Technics single cassete deck on a local auction. All I knew was that it powers up. Did a bunch of reading on them to find out what I was getting into, and figured I'd probably have to replace/refurb a lot of buttons at the very least, and knew there was a chance I'd be the proud owner of a piece of junk. I knew it was a bit dinged up (but $12!) so wasn't expecting much.

Good news! So far anyway. It not only powers up, it sounds better than anything I've had hooked up to my crappy old Sony speakers in years. The switches and buttons all seem to work, although I think the buttons are on the downhill slide and could stand some new foam perhaps. I got a tiny bit of crackle out of the balance and volume pots but it wasn't bad, and after working it back and forth it seems to have improved quite a bit. Maybe it will be fine. And sometimes it doesnt remember the presets after being shut off for just a few minutes, while other times it does. All in all, not bad for $12.

slow_jazz likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats. They are decent stuff.

I picked up an MCS 3835 fairly cheap.

Enjoy.

Vintage Unit likes this.
  3. Vintage Unit

Vintage Unit New Member

What might be the cause of the memory loss? Please say its something that doesn't require intelligence or soldering. Not that I care that much. It takes 5 seconds to retune.

4. Hifirob2

Hifirob2 NEC and Klipsch rock!

There is a Ni-Cad battery inside (should be mounted on the circuit board near the power supply) that probably is not holding a charge after all these years. You can replace it with a new one - although I'm not sure the same size & value is readily available. It was an odd shape, if I recall (the 3260 uses a similar type).

5. Vintage Unit

Vintage Unit New Member

It seems to have held overnight. Maybe having the unit on for a few hours last night charged that baby up. But I need to go in there at some point to look at the tuning bar so I'll see what kind of battery it is. Thanks!

6. Vintage Unit

Vintage Unit New Member

Here's the innards in case anyone's interested. I saw NEC in there somewhere, as I expected to.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.