my new office setup -- all AK

rogerfederer

determined amateur
Subscriber
started a new job downtown in a pretty relaxed office. my current office system is behringer UCA202 USB dac (from leesonic), gainclone amp (hatrack) and minimus 7s (bought at AK gathering) to which i've added the zilch crossovers.

sounds pretty good. i'm using internet radio souces via itunes at the moment but can also hook my ipod into the amp.

Attachments

• new office setup.JPG
    new office setup.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 593
OK, changed things up. brought in a passive pre a while back. today i switched out my gainclone for a TPA 3116 based amp. following the lead of another AKer, last year i gutted an old ST120 and installed a 3116 chip and a laptop brick power supply.

this amp blows away the gainclone. super detail. lots of power. anyone who has yet to try a TPA 3116 should really consider it. check out the huge thread on it: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=574806

Attachments

• 2015-8-12 office rig.JPG
    2015-8-12 office rig.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 159
going overboard. brought in a new DAC, musical fidelity V-DAC, and some better cables. now gotta make sure i don't play it too loud. with august vacations i've been only one in the office the last 3 days so could rock out. today someone else is due in, but not here so far:guitar:

Love it but would like to see a close up of that turtle painting.

I have been meaning to try the tripath thing, seems like a great option for the size and cost.

started a new job downtown in a pretty relaxed office. my current office system is behringer UCA202 USB dac (from leesonic), gainclone amp (hatrack) and minimus 7s (bought at AK gathering) to which i've added the zilch crossovers.

sounds pretty good. i'm using internet radio souces via itunes at the moment but can also hook my ipod into the amp.

Hi Rogerfederer I was wondering did you put the amp together as a do it yourself project ? And have you had a chance to use a source using ac power, im curious if this amp might be ok using a PC as the source, im putting together a simple solution for my sister and the current older mini hitachi system I tried with her PC has serious feedback issues and the hum is just too much. That Hitachi https://picasaweb.google.com/100432993815858475506/HITACHIAVID#5652763953989994850 is circa 78 0r so and probably needs new caps. Im interested in the amp your using as a possible solution to her PC audio issues, it will be pushing just a small set of boston HD 5s on her desktop. I was able to ground the feedback on the old Hitachi once before by using and old filter and also running a TT with the ground and filter line but I cant in this case and that amp of yours looked like it might be a fun project to give her this holiday, congrats on your office system btw, im somwhat of a fan of small form factor seperates myself and have used a Mitsubisihi M-A01 Amp and matching Mitsu M-P01 pre along with a Mitsu M-F04 tuner wich doesnt get used alot. the amp/and pre however have been powered up 24/7 for several years and power a set Rosewood MIrage OMD 5s on my desk with my PC and a Mistsubishi DP-EC 20 TT i restored a few years ago here on AK with the help and advice of some of the nicest people anywhere, Im sorry for such a long question, If you could if you have the time Id like to know how that amp you have is doing and if it seems to be free of feedback or hum, if you have never used a source that uses AC power like a PC this might be a mute question since feedback generally doesnt effect sources that use battery power like phones and even laptops, Good luck with your office system, I use mine in a home office setup, in truth its been my hiding spot for years since im a grandfather I get to choose when to face the gaggle of ladies and grandkids these days :) thx

Last edited:
Jt45
It is diy using the now famous tpa 3116 chip amp. I'm traveling or I'd link you to the long thread re same. Amazing sounding amp; true giant killer.

I'm using a computer laptop power brick as a power supply. You can also use external power supplies by astron and pyramid among many possible options.

There are some pre built very small amps using this chip. They use wall warts for power and are quite reasonably priced. Search the long 3116 thread or search Amazon for 3116 amp and the options should pop up.

No hum problem ever. Best of luck!

Jt45
It is diy using the now famous tpa 3116 chip amp. I'm traveling or I'd link you to the long thread re same. Amazing sounding amp; true giant killer.

I'm using a computer laptop power brick as a power supply. You can also use external power supplies by astron and pyramid among many possible options.

There are some pre built very small amps using this chip. They use wall warts for power and are quite reasonably priced. Search the long 3116 thread or search Amazon for 3116 amp and the options should pop up.

No hum problem ever. Best of luck!

Hey thanks for replying to my question, since your using a brick PS feedback loop issues would be null and void making your amp a nice option for what I was hoping to set her up with, I appreciate you taking a moment to
fill me in on the specifics of its power source in particular, its always a good idea to keep my family loaded up with my old rescue projects (like speakers, lol ) it keeps us in touch more often in todays fast paced world.
best of luck with your system.

2016-1-20 office rig.JPG here is the latest iteration. now have project box with TPA 3116 "audiobah" green board and pyramid power supply. creek passive i picked up on CL. eico tube tuner (mono, baby!). upgraded form beringer DAC to Musical Fidelity V-DAC and berresford SPDIF-USB converter.

playing Ziggy Stardust for the umpteenth time in the last 10 days.... really great sound.

Latest version: sold the eico tuner and brought in my Sherwood
So nice to have good tunes at work:jump:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 35
More changes. Brought in DIY speakers and new amp. Amp is another TPA 3116 board; from Allo.com sold as the Volt+. Speakers use the GR-Research "Little Giant Killer" flat pack but with Fostex drivers (AKer FMJunkie did a sweet job of veneering them). Also recently brought in my Pass B1 preamp to replace the Creek passive. B1 added nice dynamics and soundstage.

Attachments

• 2017-03-24  new office setup.JPG
    2017-03-24 new office setup.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom