My new old amp project: SE46 monoblocks

I love compact amps:yes: I'm sure they sound as great as they look. Will they be replacing the 6BQ5 amps powering your Feastrex?

Last edited:
I love compact amps:yes: I'm sure they sound as great as they look. Will they be replacing the 6BQ5 amps powering your Feastrex?

Probably, but I plan to hang onto those for a while.

I wasn't sure how the 46s would do with the Feastrex. They're not going to rattle the windows but I'm quite pleased so far with the sound.

Tube Amps 46

Morning Nate, How bout a couple of photos of the amps in your system ? Thanks :>)

Hey!! a little brush on "matte" finish rustoleum black. An artist brush? Heck the tranny will bake on the paint. but you want to keep those logo's.

Icing on the cake. If you want to send them to me I'll do the paint for free. :smoke:

The alternative is using some black markers that are true 'black... at least cover the scuffs.

You need some 71As man.
You know Jay, I have some of those. I would like to hear them sometime and I suppose the only way it'll happen is for me to build an amp or two with them...

Hey!! a little brush on "matte" finish rustoleum black. An artist brush? Heck the tranny will bake on the paint. but you want to keep those logo's.

Icing on the cake. If you want to send them to me I'll do the paint for free. :smoke:

The alternative is using some black markers that are true 'black... at least cover the scuffs.
I dunno, man. They've got a good vintage vibe going right now and if I painted them or touched them up too much, they'd lose some of that charm. It's patina, man. Patina.

46 Monos

Thanks for posting the photos Nate. They look great in your system. Enjoy my friend, enjoy ! :>)

I listened to these in the system you see above from around 6pm to after midnight last night.
One watt (at best) sounded fabulous driving the less that uber efficient Feastrex. No strain or meltdown at all at levels exceeding my usual listening level, IMO. Everything was sounding great, Nate. What a treat!

My experience contrary to what I have read here from time to time, I had to keep reminding myself that .75 watt and single driver is just not enough to produce the incredible audio ride that I was hearing. It must have been the Bratwurst ;)

RC

Yes indeed !

Good morning doucanoe, man I bet that was a treat. Wish I could have been there. My stereo 46 is wonderful and I really enjoy it. It is a keeper. I use speakers that are @104 db sen.. All is right with the world. :>)

Cool Ron, Bratwurst can do that. :)

I still remember that day 15yrs ago when I first heard low power SET on alnico Lowthers - sure, there were some limitations with that set-up that I couldn't ultimately live with (so chose compromises in another direction) but what I heard in that system locked me on a path I've happily traveled ever since. I bet Nate's system with these amps would even more effectively do the same.

Great build Nate - I'd love to hear these.

Mornin PRM!

You would enjoy them Bill. I'm sure things would start falling apart at higher level than I was pushing them, but that would have been much higher than I would normally listen quite honestly. I thought I was standing on the throttle pretty firmly and they were holding their composure quite well at pretty high levels.

Many say that a good loudspeaker should do everything equally as well. I suppose they should but many good (even great) ones don't but are overachievers when it comes to certain things. Single driver speakers can be such animals imo.

I've heard a few Lowther systems in my day and have enjoyed them quite a bit for particular program material. These Feastrex, although similar I suppose, really provide a different listening experience.. Really neat!

RC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom