My new "old" CDP...

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Celt, May 15, 2018.

1. Celt

Celt Super Maude Staff Member Super Mod

I ran across this the other day for cheap and couldn't pass it up. Other than a few light scrapes along the top front...it looks like brand new...and plays like new too!
    Well...as good as any 34 year old CDP could hope to. It's cool seeing the disc spin...kind of like watching the laundry spin around. :p
    If the chipsets are any clue...I would say this was built by Yamaha for Soundesign. Built April 1984.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    mstrane21, kirkendoll, stish and 4 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

The "Wow factor" of early CD designs. But you don't comment on the sound quality Celt... I'm curious.

3. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow, a Soundesign that might not suck.

I have a Yamaha about the same age that works pretty well. Doesn't track quite as well as some of my other ones but a) it didn't stop tracking completely like my Luxman and b) I haven't done squat to it except replace the two belts and clean up the associated goo.

4. Celt

It sounds pretty damn good. I know it sounds better than the early Sony players....(I had one)... But like early CDP's....it doesn't deal with discs over 70 minutes in length and pretty much it reading any CD-R is hit or miss. It's also sensitive to bumps...like most early players.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

I'm curious because many first-gen players were slammed, when it was the early CDs that were at least equally to blame — most of those still sound awful, even through today's better CDPs. I wonder how it sounds with the better sounding CDs that came later, when they learned how to remaster properly.

6. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

I would say that is a nice piece .

7. Celt

I'm playing some Bela Fleck on it right now...sounds very dynamic and engaging.

8. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Hey Celt, something I do on older cd players like that, I leave it on for about 3 days straight. Always seems to make things a little better. Of course, lube, clean, etc.

I'd totally rock that!!

9. spicer

spicer Well-Known Member

I remember top loading Magnavox players... among their first and watching the disc spin was kind of neat. We used to repair them, they sounded very good, had a die cast chassis. They sounded far better than most other units at the time and we had them to compare. It wasn't long before most CD players started to sound the same, that is, much better.

10. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

That's cool! Congrats on a great vintage find!

11. bluefan

bluefan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Love looking at those verticals Cool find.

12. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

I have a boom box with vertical cd player and it's cool to watch.