1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

My new Rega Saturn sounds like my old Apollo

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by theoman, May 30, 2018.

1. theoman

theoman Confused Member Subscriber

After having my Apollo for over 10 years I decided to upgraded it to a new Saturn. Well, I can't tell the difference. Maybe its the CD's I'm using. I ordered a few Mofi discs maybe that will work?
    Do the Mofi disk sound better?

Last edited: May 30, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe the Apollo was a very good player in it's time. Not uncommon. I'm not familiar with Rega gear but some of the older CDP can be very good. Newer doesn't always mean better.

BillWojo

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    darkblue94 likes this.
  3. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

They might, but not as a result of changing the DAC. The MoFi may sound better, but that is because of engineering/mastering--not the DAC.

darkblue94 likes this.
  4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

CD's and DACs are the pieces where THIS IS NOT TRUE. The designs and DACs have improved immensely. Remember that DAC's and CD players also have an analog out system and if that is not changed, you may not hear a difference.

5. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

Maybe your amp and speakers are the limiting factor in your system?

6. theoman

I learning that over and over and still making the same mistake.

7. theoman

Then do I find a good DAC and add it to the Saturn? Or is it best to run the CD player to the digital in puts of the preamp? I'm in the middle of upgrading my Macintosh Preamp to one that has digital pre inputs.

8. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would wait till you get the Mac and see how the DAC in that sounds. If all you play is CD's an older DAC from the height of CD popularity can be shockingly good. I use an old Parasound D/AC-1000 and love it. Burr Brown PCM63K chips were one of the best.

BillWojo

darkblue94 likes this.
  9. theoman

10. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I have sampled a lot of CDP and other digital DACs and digital out put devices opposed to the DAC in my McIntosh D100 digital preamp. The D100 always wins and as such I go out of all sources digital to the D100 DAC and then to my analogue 2ch preamp.

Wait till you get the mac preamp with a built in DAC. I also like the Coaxl and optical inputs better than the USB.

11. theoman

I made a offer with audio classics on a C47

12. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

The original, full width Rega Apollo was the first CD player I really liked. I bought mine used, gave it to a friend, and got an original, full-width Saturn, which I assumed I'd like even more. Not so, for me. In an A-B-C-D shootout, the Saturn was the brightest, tizziest digital source of the four contenders. I liked the Apollo more, from memory, but never had them side-by-side.

13. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

My friend had an older Apollo and I really like the sound. That’s the one I’m am planning on getting in the future. The Apollo R.