My New Sansui

Eugene65

I just won a AU-G99X and Matching tuner on e-bay. 160watts/channel and a nice tuner. 130.27 plus shipping. Here are some pictures of a like unit. http://www.sansui.us/PGMP_AUG99X.htm
Another Sansui for me, my wife will find out when the box comes.
At least I'm not hooked on sports cars.

Congratualtions- thats a great buy for those items at that price. I check the Sansui listings on Ebay regularly and I did see that Auction. The AU-G99X was the top of the Line model in that series of the mid/late 1980's, 160W, and the matching tuner should also be Excellent.

Let us know how you like them when it arrives and you get them hooked up.

B/F :king:

Thank you. There is another one listed now. If anyone else wants a good deal. It seems people are not interested in the early 80's stuff because the build quality is not as nice. The insides and specs looked inviting to me , and this was one of Sansui's better digital tuners. The auction came up when looking under TU, for sansui tuners.

Amongst the multitude of Sansui's I own, I do have an AU-G77X, thats the next model below the AU-G99X. The AU-G99X does appear to be built better (less plastic), I suppose that should be expected with a more expensive TOTL unit. Sansui tuners have a very good reputation and being able to acquire the matching tuner as you did with the amp is certainly a nice bonus.

By the way, I have a very nice brochure of the AU-G99X/77X and their tuners.

To be precise, the AU-G models are not early 80's. The Sansui AU-D models were made in the early 80's. The AU-G models were the next generation. As far as cost cutting/decline in quality goes, I have addressed this issue before on the site, in the 1980's, Sansui was still making Good amps (The AU-D11 is a superb amplifier for example) the "plasticky" cheaper stuff was more evident in their receivers at the time. And it wasnt just Sansui, most any-other manufacturer also followed the same trend in the 80's to make their amps & receivers smaller, less powerful etc...

I just hooked it up. I really like it. It's built well and sounds great. It seems much more refined when compared to my Au-717. I'm using Genesis speakers rebuilt with www.humanspeakers.com parts. I braced the cabinets and dampened them with plastik clay. This sansui with my good cd player and the matching tuner.... is my best sounding system. Sounds better than my personal refrence system, a newer100wpc Denon. The Denon to me sounds better than my AU-717. The 99 is one tough amplifier.

Keep in mind the AU-G99X is nearly a decade newer than the AU-717 and 160W (vs 85W).

If you feel the AU-717 isnt meeting your expectations in comparison to the 99X or that Denon, you can always donate the AU-717 to me :)

B/F

B/F Ha Ha... I use the AU-717 everyday.. No disrespect to the AU-717, I would take it over 99% of the stuff I can afford. If I did not love it, i would let it go..... I rarely use the Denon, it's a recent kit, so my wife has it displayed in the family room media center hooked up to some Monitor Audio S6 speakers. The kids are watching TV in that room, so its hard to get listening time. What kind of speakers do you use with your high power sansui stuff? Anyway, for the record... If my AU-717 breaks down, i'm getting it repaired : ) Also, as a side note, in the manual for the 99X, it uses a Sansui model PC-V1000 cd player as the " example cd player" for explanation of hook up to the amplifier. Anything on how the Sansui cd players were? I need to get a CD player . any other advice on a cd player would be very helpful to me. I'm kinda thinking Older Marantz, or new or recent NAD. Thanks for the response and have a nice weekend.

Eugene

Hi Eugene:

My speakers are Infinity Renaissance 90's (introduced in 1992) and they are OUTSTANDING speakers, here is how they look (scroll down the the messages in the link to where I posted the photos, the ones after the Infinity QLS model, which by the way were awesome speakers in the 70's):

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9692

As for cd players: Sansui ones are ok I suppose, there is one or two Sansui cd players from the late 80's that did have Balanced output connectors, though for that to be useful you'd need an amp that had Balanced inputs (which I do with my Sansui C-2301 preamp and B-2301 power amp). Balanced connectors have 3 pins and resemble XLR microphone connectors. Theoretically, Balanced cables can better transmit more of the desired signal and filter out the unwanted noise that inherently gets tacked onto the signal, as opposed to the more commonly used rca phono cables which are unbalanced. I might be interested to acquire a Sansui cd player with balanced outputs if I see one at the right price. But for now, my main cd player is a NAD C521i which I bought new last year and its been working flawlessly, so that would be a model that I would recommend to you to check out. The price is reasonable, $260 for mine.

An alternative is to get a something like a Yamaha CDR-HD1300 which is a cd player that also happens to have an 80Gig hard drive- so you can transfer many songs from your cd collection onto the Yamaha and organize them however you want to and then sit back and enjoy the music w/o having to keep swapping out cd's- as is the case with a single tray model like the NAD. Both the NAD and Yamaha models I mentioned have gotten top notch reviews, particularly from the British hi fi mag, What Hi Fi

http://www.whathifi.com/

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom