My new Shanling is here !!!!

Wards,

You have some of the sweetest looking gear :yes: and now this beauty. Very nice. Would love to see some pics of the Shanling on active duty integrated into the rest of your system.

How does the 100 behave with SS gear ? Have you done any experimenting yet ?

Looking forward to your full review :D

J

Wards,

I am soooo envious! :) I too want to know how this unit sounds. I already knew it was mega cool in the looks dept.

What the heck is a HDCD? Is that one you should use as a coaster for the larger frosties? :)

Rob

What is HDCD?

Originally posted by Rob

What the heck is a HDCD? Is that one you should use as a coaster for the larger frosties? :)

Rob

HDCD is an acronym for Heavy Drink Coaster Device, also known by some as High Definition Compatible Digital. It is a patented encode/decode process (recently acquired by Microsoft) that encodes 20 bits onto the disk instead of the standard 16. Info can be found at http://www.hdcd.com/about/ourstory.html A supersized 20oz Newcastle Brown Ale will fit nicely on a HDCD disk, but like the regular redbook disks, the HDCD's tend to leak through the hole in the middle. Seems like they would have fixed this defect in the design process.

Hi Wards,

I'm very glad to hear how much you're already enjoying your new Shanling player. In my opinion, the Shanling needs at least a couple of hundred hours of break-in time before it REALLY begins to sound good - in other words, "You ain't heard nothin' yet!" Please keep us posted regarding your listening impressions...

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. The CDT-100 is easily one of the best HDCD players I've encountered in its price range. If you haven't done so already, try spinning some HDCD-encoded discs with the Shanling - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Congrats on the player

If you haven't done so already, get some WE 396As to replace the chinese tubes that came with it. HUGE difference. It also responds to vibration control. Try it with and without upsampling. I personally prefered without, but its different enough that you should definitely try both.
enjoy,
Jack

VERY VERY NICE STUFF!!

I saw it in a magazine I got a few days ago. The retail was $2,000.

The "high end" version was a bunch more. :eek:

Hi Wards,

So, how's that Shanling treating you nowadays? I'm guessing that it must be broken in by now...

Also, did you ever get around to upgrading the tubes? If not, my recommendation would be the same as Jack G's (see above).

Cheers,
Brian

Hey Wards,

Care to give an update on the Shanling? I am looking for one and am interested in your perceptions over time.

Thanks,
Clark

Wow how time flies when your having fun. Looks like it's been a year since I got this player. One of the best investments I ever made in home audio gear. I love the T100. It does everything well and, as of yet, nothing bad. The tube section blends so well with tube amps and horn speakers. Very smooth and effortless. The solid state output adds some high end crispnest that goes well with some of my less efficient speakers. I really like the variable output, that gives me remote control volume for any amp(s) I choose. Personally I prefer the upsampling, it adds some more dimension to the audio. all in all, I would do it all over again. This is saying something, as I am a self professed, cheap skate. I hate spending big bucks, but sometimes you just have to, to get to the next level in audio.

Wardsweb said:
Wow how time flies when your having fun. Looks like it's been a year since I got this player. One of the best investments I ever made in home audio gear. I love the T100. It does everything well and, as of yet, nothing bad. The tube section blends so well with tube amps and horn speakers. Very smooth and effortless. The solid state output adds some high end crispnest that goes well with some of my less efficient speakers. I really like the variable output, that gives me remote control volume for any amp(s) I choose. Personally I prefer the upsampling, it adds some more dimension to the audio. all in all, I would do it all over again. This is saying something, as I am a self professed, cheap skate. I hate spending big bucks, but sometimes you just have to, to get to the next level in audio.

Care to share where you purchased your Shanling?

From our own one and only BrianB of Venus Hi-Fi

menu_main.gif

Drop Brian an email or give him a call. I know he will take care of you. As a matter of fact, I just purchased my new Shanling SP80 amps from Brian. If I can't find things from my local dealer, I always give Brian my business. That and he has always been a big supporter of Audiokarma.

Wardsweb:
Excellent purchase.
After having mine for a while I pulled the Chinese tubes and replaced them with the Western Electric's. Really took the sound of this unit up a notch.
You are going to enjoy this unit, the best thing about this unit is the volume pot as I run it direct to the amplifier and do not have a pre-amp in the loop. It seems the less components in the mix, the better and cleaner the music becomes.
Have fun with it as they are well constructed units.

Workingslug said:
Wardsweb:
Excellent purchase.
After having mine for a while I pulled the Chinese tubes and replaced them with the Western Electric's. Really took the sound of this unit up a notch.
You are going to enjoy this unit, the best thing about this unit is the volume pot as I run it direct to the amplifier and do not have a pre-amp in the loop. It seems the less components in the mix, the better and cleaner the music becomes.
Have fun with it as they are well constructed units.

I ran with the WE 396a's in mine for about a year and just recently replaced them with Bendix 6385 Red Banks and WHOA! :thmbsp: The WE's are a huge leap better than the stock tubes and I was doubtful that the Red Banks would make much difference but those were erased in the first few moments of hearing Celine Dion's "Power of Love". I am running the T200 and playing a lot of SACDs. If you want to make another leap in sound, find some Red Banks to drop in! Good luck finding them too.

Wards - It has been about a year on your Shanling. Have you done any tube rolling? Do you still like it?

as my little brother says

"Oh Shit Son!"

thats one serious player... and the white gloves... *shakes his head*... seriously, congrats I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

As I've said before, this is one great cdp. It's versatility with solid state and tube outputs allows me to mix it with most any gear/speaker combination. Even from what I've read, many others would rather have it over the SACD version. This without any of the mods available. It's sweet right out of the box. It's a keeper. :thmbsp:

Wardsweb said:
As I've said before, this is one great cdp. It's versatility with solid state and tube outputs allows me to mix it with most any gear/speaker combination. Even from what I've read, many others would rather have it over the SACD version. This without any of the mods available. It's sweet right out of the box. It's a keeper. :thmbsp:

Totally agree with you that it's a sweet one. :thmbsp: I home demo'd it for a little over a month way back and loved it. I home demo'd the T200 next. Took the T200 back and they had a buyer waiting on it. Took me another couple of months to find another T200 and I have not looked back. Have you tried tube rolling with it yet?

Back
Top Bottom