My new system

Kyluckyman

This is my newest system put together for playing vinyl and possibly tape. I have a Kenwood rack system I bought in 1996 or so in the entertainment system in the living room to handle FM/CD needs. However there was no room for a turntable out there and the wife gave me the okay for a second system in our guitar/music room 3rd bedroom.

Growing up, my Dad had a nice Dual 1229 that I loved, but used Dual 1229's are a little rich for me, so I looked for a 1219 or 1228. The 1228 is a little smaller than the 1229, but has a strobe that I enjoyed watching as the albums played as a kid.

I soon found and won the bidding on a old 1228.

The Dual 1228 came in sad condition. (Why do sellers overstate the condition of the items they sell?) The arm would not move and the controls were basically locked up while the cue arm did nothing. A lot of cleaning and tense moments went into this restoration. I have it so the auto function works intermittenly, dispite changing two different steuerpimples out. I am also having issues with indexing, but it plays well on manual. I have not decided if I will mess with it further or send it out to a reputable repair shop.

The cartridge is a Audio Technica VS210E with a new stylus. In the wings in an unopened box is a Shure M97xE. The AT cart sounds pretty darn good. I'd like a second headshell so I could easity swap carts and do a comparison.

The amp is a Yamaha A 760. It, like the speakers were EBay finds. Unlike the turntable the amp worked perfectly from the time it was received. No static when the knobs were turned! All controls and lights work! Pure joy here!

The speakers are a nice set of JBL T62's. The wife said that one condition was going to be the speakers could not be huge monsters like the Kenwood 3 ways now in the living room. After reading reviews on various speakers I thought I'd give these a try. So far, I enjoy them. They sound great in the 10' x 12' room this system is set up in. They are placed on stands which get them over 2 feet off the floor.

Coming (hopefully) are a pair of JBL 2600's. I won them a week ago on EBay and paid afterwards with Paypal. However, the seller took the money but has not made any effort at all to notify me about shipping. I wrote him three times, with the final e mail threatening to intitiate a claim if I don't hear from him by tomorrow Tues. May 31. I've been burned by sellers before and after enduring the hassel from EBay got my money back. I hope to get the speakers or my money this time, too.

My plan was to A/B the speakers to decide which ones worked best with the rest of the system and go from there.

Attachments

• IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 1228 top.jpg
    1228 top.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 67
Nice gear...

Sorry to hear you have not received the speakers as of yet. I have a pair & they are darn good sounding to me. They do not get a lot of praise, so let your ears be the judge.

Post a pic of them when you get them...

Rome

The counterweight has been on since I fired it up. The photo where it's missing was taken during the repairs.

Still no word on the 2600's...

PM me with your email address and I will send you a service manual that a local guy put together. I've used it a couple times for a 1229 and a 1219. They worked flawlessly after that.

Back
Top Bottom