My new Thorens TD 126 - wow!

vintage cltr

This is my first Thorens. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was part of a lot I bought.

Wow is all I can say. This turntable has a great look, but can anyone tell me what I have here?

as far as, is the tonearm stock? headshell?

also, what and how does that dust roller thing work? I know that's not stock...

thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• 126a.jpg
    126a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 126b.jpg
    126b.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 126c.jpg
    126c.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 126d.jpg
    126d.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 125
I hope that Decca is in good shape. If so you're in for a real revelation with your records! That dust thing goes the other way when playing ( drags across the record) if free of dust it will do an adequate job of keeping the stylus clean. Back to the Decca for a minute, make sure it is set up correctly, tracing weight, not to much side thrust compensation, and loaded properly. Most of the Deccas I've used prefer 32k loading. The table is fabulous! Enjoy
Dan

Wow, awesome find! That Decca is a real gem, hope you enjoy the heck out of it! Everything except the dust bug looks stock original to my eyes.

That thing dangling from the headshell is a Discwasher DiscTracker. Designed to help match cartridges to tonearms. Not needed for lots of set ups but helpful for others. VE has the OM for you to learn how to use it.

The 126 is a great tt, which version?

Looks to be a MK I with the TP16 tonearm.
Regards,
Jim

That thing dangling from the headshell is a Discwasher DiscTracker. Designed to help match cartridges to tonearms. Not needed for lots of set ups but helpful for others. VE has the OM for you to learn how to use it.

Thank you. :)

I learned something new. I've never seen one before.

OP, how does it sound? I would expect: Fantastic...

UPDATE:

Thorens returned yesterday after a to my local turntable doctor.

He did an awesome job and finally got to here this machine.

The build quality on this is very cool.

Oh yeah, that Decca cartridge on it... it just loves any record you put down

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 27
It looks fantastic and should give you many years of excellent performance. Some day in the future you will want to upgrade to a new cartridge. They all have issues with age.

Congrats on the new table! Had a MK II with a Black Widow back in '79 wish I still had her.

The Decca cartridges can be rebuilt. An engineer John Wright (I believe) that was with Decca back in the day has a license to build the design and can service them. I've had my London Decca Super Gold running this week. When dialed in they are unique in the world of carts for their speed and transparency. They can be petulant at times though.

Sounds like the op has a good one, they have a reputation being fragile, (at least he older ones)

Back
Top Bottom