My New TU

DanTana

Special thanks to Russman, my new TU-517 just arrived and I have to say it is simply a wonderful tuner. I cleaned the tuner section and did an alignment and it picks up stations and sounds just fantastic. Although the Narrow mode isn't quite as sensitive as I like, that can be fixed later. It still picks up stations beautifully and in Wide mode they sound terrific. I can see why the TU-717/517 are so well regarded. The bass isn't quite as deep or maybe emphasized as my Proton 440, but the mid and treble are just as smooth as silk. The seperation is outstanding and the soundstaging is excellent. Truly a wonderful piece of equipment, thanks again Russman!!

cool :D

How hard was it to do an alignment? i may have to do that to my 517, although i have no idea how.

I posted that in another thread in Vintage Audio. It's not rocket science, but take all precautions. If you don't feel comfortable trying it, Punker X does it. Only reason I did mine was because the dial indicator and actual station were about .5 off. If the dial said 99, the station was actually 99.5. Now it's spot on. I'm sort of picky that way I suppose, and I figured changing the pointer to match the station wasn't really the correct way to do it. With some more narrow filters I can see why these things can be such a great DX machine. Just remember if you need help on the TU-517, the innards are exactly the same as the TU-717. Only thing missing I believe is the calibration tone. The schematics are identical as well. Even the board numbers are the same.

Back
Top Bottom