My PD-272 Luxman Turntable is All I've known......

daza152

Hey guys just a quick question....AS above this turntable is the only one I've ever had, if you discount my mum and dads Thorn stereo with built in record player I used when I was 10 playing 7" singles. So my question is would I notice the difference is sound quality on a higher end table? my tonearm has a Stanton cartridge and stylus in it running through a pair of bookshelf Wharfedale speakers. Please enlighten me.

Had one of these in my shop last year. I was very impressed with its build quality. Unfortunity, it had a speed issue on its massive circuit board. Mine was a direct drive. Yours is a higher end Luxman that go for good money on EBay. From past experience with all sorts of turntables over the years ( I'm old) you might notice a difference with a belt drive like a Thorens TD 160. Maybe? I think it depends how critical you are. Personally, I am very pleased with my Dual family. Married to 4 Dual 1219s. Sound good to my ears. Your set up is good.

Matching components is an art to me. Have had over 40 systems over the years. Took a long time to be totally satisfied with my sets. Early on I had Pioneers, Marantz, and others too many to mention. Wasn't quite there with Marantz in the 70s. By accident, I got a Marantz 4270 four channel free. Combined with JBL 100s up front with a pr of small Pioneer in the back its the best system to date. Beat a Macintosh 4100. But it was not on the JBLs.

I could ramble on about systems I have had. Will spare you that. I boils down to are you happy with your setup? A combination of luck..free stuff and the ability to fix up Dual's for little money helps me. My shop system has free Avid and PSB Alpha speakers. From the landfill! The Alphas are mint! Still being made. Hope this helps. Even though I have 6 Dual's, if I found a working Luxman I would grab it.

Eric

The Luxman PD 2XX TT is much over looked. The base is very light weight, so you need to isolate it as best you can from feedback. If you compare specs it will beat many more expensive units made today. I think the 272 is a manual, and i prefer automatics. The sonic difference with lessor speakers will be hard to hear. As long as the unit is operating properly, I feel even a $500 to $600 table would not give you a WOW improvement difference. As you get into better cartridges, the match between the cart and arm become more important.

I am pleased with what I hear, I am consider tinkering around with broken turntables (if I can pick up a good one for a good price) and maybe build one up from parts alone. I enjoy electrics fairly confident in my ability. I just need a better understanding of how they actually work. Thanks.

The biggest problem with a used broken TT is that, main bearings, and arm mechanics can be damaged n ways that can't be fixed. Replacement parts may not be available. If you find a high quality table, with minor problems, it may be cheaply fixed. Junk is junk even after it is fixed. Once you get more experience you may find that the one you have is really OK. A TT only has to go around at 33.33 rpm and not feed noise into the cartridge and arm.

The PD-272 is a very nice turntable. Are there nicer? Sure. There are also much more expensive turntables with excellent designs that will probably sound better, but how much better..? My guess is that you will need to get well above the USD 1000 mark to hear significant improvements.

I owned Luxman turntables and liked them, but their acoustic isolation is not the best. Other than that, they are very nice. I would get a spindle weight/stabilizer to hold the record down a bit, get some better (isolating) feet, and probably upgrade the cartridge. Then enjoy it.

Nice tables and easy on the eyes. I had a 272 as my daily driver for about 5 years. If anything, I would upgrade the arm to something a little easier to match to current cartridge offerings.

Nice tables and easy on the eyes. I had a 272 as my daily driver for about 5 years. If anything, I would upgrade the arm to something a little easier to match to current cartridge offerings.
what kind of arms can fit on that deck? I've never messed around with it so haven't looked at taking it off?

The PD-272 is a very nice turntable. Are there nicer? Sure. There are also much more expensive turntables with excellent designs that will probably sound better, but how much better..? My guess is that you will need to get well above the USD 1000 mark to hear significant improvements.

I owned Luxman turntables and liked them, but their acoustic isolation is not the best. Other than that, they are very nice. I would get a spindle weight/stabilizer to hold the record down a bit, get some better (isolating) feet, and probably upgrade the cartridge. Then enjoy it.
I saw a video on the spindle weight thing that screws the record down to make it same weight as platter it was a Pro-ject hi end player (1800USD) had pointy feet too nice and heavy with a belt drive motor to the side....nice very nice.

I'm thinking about picking up a decent mid-fi linear tracking table.
Although not as sexy as a regular tonearm table, it seems to me the linears were the last hoorah, the "pure" setup, that flashed briefly before CD's started taking over.

Back
Top Bottom