My plans for the future

ckelly

Folks

I have some news to break... I'm leaving Chile and moving to the land Down Under (Sydney) - Walt... you better score vintage equipment before I get there :D), probably between November and February.

It all depends on the INCREDIBLE amount of paperwork I have to go through (renewing passports, getting social security papers for Aus in order, get my university degree validated, etc), as well as getting the funds necessary to embark on what is my biggest personal adventure.

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

That's great news - I suspected that you might come back this way given it's your country of birth. I assume you still have an Australian passport, or have you lost that in the years you've been away?

So Sydney is the choice? Being the largest metro area, it's probably your best chance to secure employment. But it's not cheap to live here either! Ask Jack - compared to Melbourne I would say Sydney is about 10-15% more expensive in terms of the basic cost of living.

And you'll be leaving your family behind in Chile? I know how you feel there - my family is scattered all over the world too.

Now, as for the vintage gear - why don't you bid on that AU-555A on eBay, and get them to deliver it to my place - I'll take care of it until you get here early next year! ;)

Anyway, that's good news. Good on 'ya mate! :D

Walt

I still have my passport, all I have to do is renew it. As for staying in sydney, I'm being offered a room at an aunt's place, so I'll have somewhere to stay.

I saw the prices in Sydney, and they are HIGH. But that shoudln't be much of a problem.

It is tough to leave the family, but sometimes one has to take these chances, and better now, young and single, than married with kids.

I followed that amp at ebay and it closed at 50 AUD! Great score for the winning bidder IMO.

I was just thinking... I'll also have to learn how to drive again... In Australia they drive on the wrong side of the road :D...

Chris

Yes I think you're making a good choice alround.

The room at an aunt's house should give you a bit of a leg up while you're still looking for a job.

Remind me what field you are in?

I studied business administration.

My studies are in economics, marketing, finance and business administration.

I would like a job in marketing, or in sales "behind the scenes". Another job I could probably do very weel is as Account Executive.

OTOH... I could work in anything....

Chris

I doubt you'll have much trouble finding a job provided you are able to present an employer with some sort of track record of your employment history in your chosen field. Failing that you'll just have to be prepared to start on the bottom rung of the ladder and work your way up.

As for the driving, the RTA here will make you sit an electronic exam at a minimum, and if you're really unlucky some sort of practical exam as well.

But, the climates good, the beaches are good, your like of BBQ's will fit right in, the Australian economy is pretty solid - its all upside.

Good luck - keep me posted - I am possibly catching up with Jack next month for a beer (he is coming up from Melbourne), so it would be nice to meet another AK'er as well!

Chris, Alright! That's great news and very handy to have an aunt to stay with too- at least for a while.:) As Walt says, plenty of upside over here. From memory, it's been a while since you were here, but I'm sure you'll just slip into the lifestyle witn no problems. :)

With driving, i just follow the guy in front!

Look forward to it.:)
Jack

One Question

How do you intend to ship the "precious cargo" :) . Seriously, all the best in your new adventure! MikE

Re: One Question

Originally posted by MikE
How do you intend to ship the "precious cargo" :) . Seriously, all the best in your new adventure! MikE

Actually, MikE it's not a dumb question at all - I'm taking my amp with me on the plane, or I'll be mailing it by ship.

Thanks for the kind words

Chris

I'm taking my amp with me on the plane

If you're really serious about this hobby, you'll get the amp it's own seat on the plane! :D ;)

Then you can eat its meal too!

Originally posted by Walt

If you're really serious about this hobby, you'll get the amp it's own seat on the plane! :D ;)

Then you can eat its meal too!

:lmao:

If I could pay for it's ticket... you bet I'd do just that :D

BTW - I'll be staying in Summer Hill - is that far from you?

Hey Chris,

That's a pretty good idea since the Sansui is quite compact and no UPS gorrillas can get their hands on it. BTW, is voltage in Chile 240V like here?

If there's any info or help that you need, please don't hesitate. There might be things I can do in Melbourne.

All the best with the preparations.:)

Jack

Jack

Voltage here in Chile is 230V :D

That's not a problem, since the amp is one of the few vintage multi voltage units I have ever seen.

I'll take your offer into account, once I get there, I'll see what I'll do.

Chris

Summer Hill - inner west, near the suburbs of Stanmore and Leichardt.

About 15 mins from center of city, about 20 mins from where I live (on the Nth Shore in Lane Cove).

Sounds like a VERY good place to stay while you're getting on your feet - very handy to everything.

Ditto Jack's offer if you need me to do anything at this end ...

Walt

Thanks for the support. I'll keep you posted as to how my preparations are going.

The lasty time I went to Sydney was in 1985 (1 was 12), and I remember my aunt's place being really close to everything, and about 2 blocks away from a train station.

So we'd be kind of close - I guess we can have a beer or two. :D :beer:

Chris

Well Chris,
If the job market is anything like it is in the states being bi-lingual will get you a job faster and at higher pay. Being in Texas it is a bit more in demand than say Omaha, but I know in NYC or LA you could get a job in a heartbeat.Not to mention Miami or Pheonix. I am taking for granted you are fluent in Spanish after living in Santiago all these years. The world is a much smaller place than it used to be. Witness this group! Being in Santiago aught to give you a shorter plane ride too. It is 24 hours in the air from here, so with layovers, luggage etc it can take 36 hours.
Thatch

Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
Well Chris,
If the job market is anything like it is in the states being bi-lingual will get you a job faster and at higher pay. Being in Texas it is a bit more in demand than say Omaha, but I know in NYC or LA you could get a job in a heartbeat.Not to mention Miami or Pheonix. I am taking for granted you are fluent in Spanish after living in Santiago all these years. The world is a much smaller place than it used to be. Witness this group! Being in Santiago aught to give you a shorter plane ride too. It is 24 hours in the air from here, so with layovers, luggage etc it can take 36 hours.
Thatch

Thatch

I am fully bilingual. My plan to go to Australia is mainly due to the fact that I don't need a visa - I am an Australian citizen. There is a significant latin american population in Australia, not nearly as large as in the states, but I guess knowing spanish SHOULD help me get a job there.

Chris

Good for you man!! Just don't go swimming in the ocean there are great whites there :eek: Also watch out for the crocodiles they kill lots of people there too :eek: There is also a deadly spider there, funnel web, is that the name?? Look out for those! Also I was watching a documentary about driving in Australia called The Road Warrior, you might want to reconsider driving, see gas is really scarce in Australia there are these biker hooligans and such who prowl the countryside in search of stray travelers to steal gas from and they also have a tendency to rape the villages and pillage the women errr I mean rape the women and pillage the villages, scary stuff for sure :eek:

Back
Top Bottom