My recent impulse buy...

o_rod

Thought I'd share my most recent purchase.

I'm certainly not as much of an audio connoisseur as many of you are, I usually hunt down cheap audio bargains, rebuild them and make due with what I have on a meager budget, rarely splurging on this hobby... until I spotted these on a classifieds site. Now I've never seen anything quite like these, but I was drawn to them, their shape, the finish, the unique speaker array and incredible build quality. Without rationalizing I immediately e mailed the owner and set up a time to make my hour long journey to pick them up.

On the way home I had time to rationalize my purchase, and remorse set in, I honestly knew nothing about these and had no idea what to expect... I lugged them into the house, connected them to my 1250, and pressed play, and at that moment, everything melted away. My ears took over all senses and it was like I was hearing on a different level, they sent shivers and goose bumps through me with how silky smooth they were at every frequency... Keep in mind I'm used to listening to mid tier speakers, but these have shown me a whole new level of sound, and I'm hooked!

Y4H8Erm.jpg

Wow, RSIII, great speakers. As tubed said generally tweeters go on the inside as per manual. Bottom woofer on those is crossed over lower than the top much like the RSII. Mirror image, first tilted time aligned infinity speaker, robust cabinet, very nice quality speakers. Only thing that goes bad on those is the foam surrounds and the pots need to be cleaned occasionally. I loved mine but regrettably sold them to make room for RSIIb...

Thanks guys, I'll move them around, wasn't sure which was left or right lol

They have been refoamed a few years ago so that'll be one less thing to worry about. Only issue is a small hole in one of the grills, gonna do that shortly. Going to deox the pots and check out the crossovers when time permits. Don't see myself moving on from these for awhile.

It's pretty amazing how each driver integrates seamlessly with the next sound wise, nothing gets colored at all. Very cool.

anyone know where I can print out a manual of these? I have only found a schematic of the crossovers, thanks.

Is it just me, I rarely see RS III's.
Were they made in small numbers or did they sell poorly?
As mentioned, pots might need cleaning at some point.
All drivers are readily available and not too expensive should you need replacements.
Congrats and enjoy!

Congrats on those, very nice find ! ^ i I agree that it's rare to find those.

Wow, very nice find on a sweet looking pair of RS-III's! Welcome to the world of vintage Infinity speakers.

Nice, rare and great sounding pair of speakers. Plus, they are free of the weird, irreplaceable drivers that doom many vintage Infinity speakers to be parted out on Ebay.

Great find. No dang ported speakers...

Now you'll be looking for folks selling other classic Infinity speakers within driving distance;)

Is it just me, I rarely see RS III's.
Were they made in small numbers or did they sell poorly?
As mentioned, pots might need cleaning at some point.
All drivers are readily available and not too expensive should you need replacements.
Congrats and enjoy!

I believe they were made from '81 to '83, not sure if that constitutes a short production run as far as speakers go... Vintage equipment always amazes me when they can survive 35+ years and remain in excellent condition.

congrats on your new infinitys! i love my iiia and still can be thrilled by them after a year of listening. i would love to hear the iii sometime to compare.

I wasn't too pleased with the bass response of mine until I happened to notice one of the woofers were mis-wired.
I will probably advise any AK'ers with new to them speakers, to double check the wiring to make sure of correctness.
Picture 741.jpg

Especially classic Infinitys with dual woofers.
As we all know, all classic Infinitys will have foam rot and either need or have been refoamed.
Based on the numerous mentions of "lack of bass" concerning dual woofer Infinitys I suspect many of those are mis wired after refoaming.

^^^agreed, my theory is most were refoamed the first time before the internet, YouTube, AK, and before everyone knew everything so we got them mixed up. Many now on their 3rd set of surrounds had their wires just put back on incorrect as they were the first time they were replaced...
Jim

I don't claim to know everything but, if anyone's budget is meager here it's mine and I see nothing cheap in that photo sir, just awesome. full-marks.gif

Back
Top Bottom