My "refurbed" 2270 is here -- my first 2270!

soundweasel

I picked up my "refurbed" 2270 today. Overall I am very pleased! :banana:

So far I've only listened to it using headphones but so far so good.

Aesthetics: 8.5/9 out of 10 overall. Scratch on left side of face next to left side of the dial. Not deep but certainly visible (see photos). Face will receive additional cleaning. Dial glass clear -- none of the careworn surface scratches usually found on units this age -- one minor scratch not visible unless you really look for it.

Knobs and buttons: 8.5/9 out of 10

Case: 9 out of 10. A few minor scuffs, nothing major.

Electronics: All controls - selectors, switches and buttons are static free and function properly (except one -- see below). All indicator lights function properly. Output from both channels seems balanced.

OK -- now the concerns and confessions department:

One push button control doesn't "catch" when activated -- the one labeled "multipath". It doesn't appear to do anything when I push and hold it in. Is this thing like a vestigal organ -- like your appendix -- or the Dolby button on other Marantz receivers? Or was it not replaced because the tech couldn't find one? Or, he might have just missed it? :worried:

I bought this 2270 for $100 from a local shop "sight unseen" (they responded to my CL posting seeking Marantz gear) and then asked them to refurb it. I was quoted a maximum of $200 for labor. They kept the labor cost to $168 plus $57 for parts. Total cost (receiver purchase, labor, parts): $325. The unit has a 90-day parts/labor warranty. While I consider this an excellent price for a 2270, I didn't see much evidence of someone working on it -- it still needed a good external cleaning, interior was OK (that may be a good thing), and I didn't get an itemized receipt.

Should I ask them for an itemized receipt, or, just suck it up, play it every day for 90 days until it blows up or keeps working and just be happy it works great?

BTW -- the place from which I purchased it is not my "regular" place for repair work. Does anyone know much about Q Audio in Cambridge by MIT? Does anyone know who does tech work for them?

Thoughts, opinions, feedback all welcome. :D

Attachments

• 2270 001_edit.jpg
    2270 001_edit.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 2270 003_edit.jpg
    2270 003_edit.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 64
  • 2270 004_edit.jpg
    2270 004_edit.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 2270 006_edit.jpg
    2270 006_edit.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2270 008_edit.jpg
    2270 008_edit.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 46
Multipath button is used adjust a directional antenna for best reception. You rotate the antenna up on the roof then push the multipath button and watch the meter to see when it is centered (I think).

I've been to Q Audio but never bought anything there. They also Ebay stuff. Don't know who does the work for them or if they do it themselves.

Doug, wondering why you didn't bring it to Vince at Audio Proz?

If it was me, I think I would like to know what they did.

Good luck with it. :thmbsp:

soundweasel said:
Should I ask them for an itemized receipt, or, just suck it up, play it every day for 90 days until it blows up or keeps working and just be happy it works great?

I would ask for a receipt. If you ever decide to sell the unit, you would have proof that it had been refurbished.

Personally, I would want to know what they did to it.:yes:

Great receiver you have there. Enjoy!

JoZmo said:
I've been to Q Audio but never bought anything there. They also Ebay stuff. Don't know who does the work for them or if they do it themselves.

Doug, wondering why you didn't bring it to Vince at Audio Proz?

If it was me, I think I would like to know what they did.

Good luck with it. :thmbsp:

Well, since they were selling it, I thought I'd give them a shot -- always nice to know if there is another good shop around. And, Vince can take a loooong time. Well worth the wait, but a looong time. BTW -- I do have a receipt that clearly states "refurbishment" just no itemization.

I did have some time to go over it last night and again today. It appears the dial and function lamps were replaced, a new relay switch installed and evidence of small capacitors being replaced, too. I must say, upon closer examination, it has been worked on. :yes:

Anyway, the 2270 is all gussied up and looks great. I'll hook up some speakers tomorrow and take it for a "spin"! :thmbsp:

More to come.

Urizen said:
I would ask for a receipt. If you ever decide to sell the unit, you would have proof that it had been refurbished.

Personally, I would want to know what they did to it.:yes:

Great receiver you have there. Enjoy!

QAudio responded with a description of all tests done and repairs conducted:

"The stock unit, prior to refurbishing, was found to have distorted and intermittent output, a sticking power switch, channel phase shifting, lamps out, dial mechanism loose and FM well out of alignment."

"The power switch and speaker relays were rebuilt. The main PCB was re-soldered. The dial mechanism was repaired and lubricated. The input selector and meter lamps were replaced. The tuning capacitors were cleaned. The FM (detector oscillator and MPX) was realigned. The DC offset was realigned and tested. RCA jacks, controls and switches were cleaned. 8 resistors were replaced. The unit was measured for specs and performance and returned to excellent working order."

Sounds/looks like they hit all the key points. I'm pleased.

I'm listening to the the local classical music station over it through my Allison CD 8s and it sounds great! :banana:

BTW -- they have another $100 2270 -- needs work -- in their inventory. Somebody go get it and tell them Doug J. sent you!

Congrats SoundW and best of luck with your 2270! I just won an auction for one on ebay. Now I just hope it arrives in one piece. I've never owned one of these classics but have always wanted one. I can't wait to put together a nice vintage system with it(Thorens TD-145MK TT, possibly classic Advent speakers or something similar).
I also plan to take my 2270 totally apart, do a complete cleaning, replace parts, lamps if needed. For me, this is half the fun of getting into owning a vintage classic like this. The knowledge gained from fellow forum members here will also help alot. I very much appreciate everyone sharing their info here:thmbsp:
Tim

QAudio has another $100 2270 -- needs work -- in their inventory. Somebody go get it and tell them Doug J. sent you!

:banana:

QAudio has another $100 2270 -- needs work -- in their inventory. Somebody go get it and tell them Doug J. sent you (or not)!

:banana:

Back
Top Bottom