My Sansui 881 Receiver

Figured out how to disassemble the backside to get those broken RCA jack solder connections?

Figured out how to disassemble the backside to get those broken RCA jack solder connections?

Nope, everything seems to block everything else. I'll figure it out, a lifetime of working on airplanes helps in times like these.

*First, do no harm*

Cleared the deck of the Yamaha M-60 so I could measure the original filter on the 881, I'm golden.

Thanks for your help.

Service manual may give you a clue or two.

You need the TO's to work on aircraft..;)

AUX culprit found and (hopefully) fixed.

In the middle is the back side of the RCA jack, the "tongue" has broken away from the solder. There were two of them that I needed to re-solder with my new bestie Hakko 888.

41937096395_9b117f79dd_c.jpg

To access was a bit convoluted.
-Disconnect the SELECTOR shaft and unscrew SELECTOR module from the rear of the unit.
-Separate side frame and move it enough to work the SELECTOR wires up to allow the SELECTOR module to move enough to expose the back of the RCA panel.

41937096305_15bd282e2d_b.jpg

41937096445_4a9824b627_b.jpg

All done:

42120632844_e697354570_c.jpg

Do you have a glass or window store that my be able to cut you a replacement piece of glass. Or use lexan or use polycarbonate acrylic.

There's a black (painted?) frame around the glass that might be hard to replicate,

I'll pull it out and stop by a glass shop to see if it's possible.

Thanks for the compliments, it's a new hobby for me and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Dumb questions of the week as I press forward.

the old caps have big honkin' holed lugs to solder to, the new caps are "snap in" (I couldn't find the option of big lugs). Affixing both a resistor and wire to one post seems inelegant. Or did I screw up?

42085794635_48d61ea6c9_z.jpg

About those resistors, I ordered 3W because I don't know what I'm doing... the resistors coming out look beefier.
Or did I screw up?

42085799495_0da0e3b390.jpg

It took a while to figure out but as the new resistors were smaller I went high and tight with them and wrapped the wires around the remaining terminal length.

Not enough time to do a test run tonight (I have to learn patience).
Tomorrow we rock...or smoke.

42273379944_27fee1882b_b.jpg

Let's hope for rock.

Thanks again for all your help.

I hate to say but l am sure that the wiring on those new caps is incorrect, please don't turn unit on. Refer to your photo of the old main caps, the - of one cap and the + of the other cap are common, then the red wire goes to the positive of one cap and the white wire goes to the negative of the other cap.

I hate to say but l am sure that the wiring on those new caps is incorrect, please don't turn unit on. Refer to your photo of the old main caps, the - of one cap and the + of the other cap are common, then the red wire goes to the positive of one cap and the white wire goes to the negative of the other cap.

Doh!!!! I *assumed* signal and ground.

I'll fix that before I light the fires.

A thousand thanks.

Your very welcome, def not the first time this has happened to someone on AK as in a way it seems wrong to tie + of one cap and - of other.

Back
Top Bottom