My SET Amp's Speaker connections are not identified Pos. or Neg. (does it matter) ?

SixCats!

Hi all,

I've been trying my new SET 2A3 MONO Amp out on several different MONO Speakers. I noticed the Amp's Speaker connectors are NOT identified as being either Positive or Negative. Does this matter if using only ONE Speaker ? Thanks for any help.

SixCats!

Positive and negative usually applies to 2 or more speakers when all the speakers need to be in phase of each other. A mono amplifier and one speaker doesn't have to be in phase with any other speakers so there is no need for a negative and positive.

If you are using two or more speakers for mono or stereo connections, then they all need to be in phase with each other. The positive and negative markings makes it simple to connect speaker systems to stereo and multi channel amplifiers so all speakers are in phase with each other.

Some people swear they can hear the difference in absolute phasing. Try it both ways, use what sounds better to you. If you can't tell, flip a coin :)

If you got another mono amp you could get both speakers in phase by sending a good signal (like a drum beat) to each one and then reconnecting each speaker up (if needed) so they both react the same (looking at the center of each ) .

Hi guys,

I very much appreciate your input. I kind of figured it didn't really matter in Mono but, my being new to the World of SET (in this case Mono) I figured I had better check just to play it safe.
I figured if the Amp's builder (former owner) John Eastman didn't ID the connectors, then it was most likely not an issue. I guess the only "Heads up" that is REALLY important regarding SET Amp is to make sure it's ALWAYS connected to a Speaker and not powered ON if no Speaker is connected to Amp. Today while trying a few other Mono Speakers, I made damn sure I powered OFF and UNplugged the Amp before I switched Speakers. I don't want any surprises! Thanks again C tek for your help.

Regards,
SixCats!

Hi gadget,

Ummmm......interesting. I'll have to experiment. Shadowdog, I only wish I had a second one of these Tru-Sonic Horn speakers! I'm lucky to own ONE!

I appreciate all your help guys. Thank you.

Stephens.jpg

Regards,

SixCats!

Any speaker or a load of say 16 ohm 20W resistor can be used as a load when testing, and that applies to PP amps also.

Back
Top Bottom