My seven systems

audiomagnate

Addicted Member
All of these systems are fully functional right now, and all are FM capable except the computer system. And yes, I'm happily divorced.

1. Man cave: Sony PSX5/Shure V-15II, Sony TC-558, Pioneer F-91, Kromecaster 24 Bit Cloud Streamer, Samsung Blu-ray player with multichannel analog outs, SAE MK XXX, Custom 50 Hz Electronic Crossover, BGW 620B x 3, JBL 2245 Infinite Baffle Fireplace Subwoofer (hidden behind TV) JBL L300 (with Onkyo TX-DS656 reciever for rear speakers only JBL SVA-1800)
index.php

index.php

2. Master bedroom coffee area: Heathkit console, Dual 1219/Shure V15 Tye II, Audio Dynamics CA200E, T2000E, CD2000E, KLH Model Five
This is where I listen to records most often. Eventually I will fill the empty Heathkit speaker cabs with AS-27's or Altec 601's and use the Fives in my 8th system.
index.php

index.php

3. Master Bedroom Bedside: Chromecast Audio, Sony ST-80F, S.M.S.L. SA50 Chip Amp, Realistic 42-2110 Stereo Audio Source Selector (not shown) , Realistic Minimus 7, Velodyne VRP-10
index.php

4. Garden Room/Patio System (depending on which way the speakers are pointed): Chromecast Audio, Olson RA-290 "radar" receiver, Pioneer SP-BS21-LR.
index.php

5. Family Room: 2nd gen Chromecast/TV DAC, Scott 355R, Kef Coda 7
index.php

6. Kitchen countertop: Realistic STA-7, Minimus 7 (meter fuse lamp arrived today)
index.php

7. Desktop computer: Tascam TM-78, Behringer Xenyx502, Kenwood KA-76, Modified KRK6000,Superlux HD681 EVO. Please keep all wire management comments to yourself.
index.php

Attachments

• 20160730_112349[1].jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 911
  • 20160818_162101[1].jpg
    244 KB · Views: 907
  • 20160819_044133[1].jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 903
  • 20160818_162242[1].jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 900
  • 20160818_162825[1].jpg
    20160818_162825[1].jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 960
  • 20160818_162928[1].jpg
    20160818_162928[1].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 955
  • 20160818_162606[1].jpg
    20160818_162606[1].jpg
    75 KB · Views: 951
  • 20160818_162743[1].jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_20160819_063515[1].jpg
    IMG_20160819_063515[1].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 960
And then there were six...
When I was out playing tennis yesterday with my phone turned off (it's in the rules), the Scott in the family room went into oscillation. A household employee thought it was the fire alarm, and when she couldn't reach me called 911 (she's from Haiti and slightly technologically challenged). The firemen figured out it was the left Kef making the noise, so instead of switching the receiver to "off," they detached the speaker and put it out on the patio (I guess they were slightly technologically challenged themselves), I assume because they thought it was about to burst into flames. The speaker is fine (I got it inside just before the rain hit) but the left channel of the Scott is toast. I keep that system on during the day for background music, but after the repair I guess I'm going to shut everything down when I leave the house. It could have been worse, the cops could have shown up instead and shot the dog, which actually happens around here, or the fireman could have used an axe. I just hope I don't get a bill for a frivolous 911 call.

This is the first I've heard of anyone re-purposing a fireplace as an infinite baffle sub-woofer.

It's an incredibly cool idea. Could you give us more specifics ? I assume the baffle board is sealed around the opening.

What drivers do you have in it ? I see JBL and BGW referenced.

Did you sound deaden the steel shell ?

Does it sound like distant thunder when you're in the yard ?

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard of anyone re-purposing a fireplace as an infinite baffle sub-woofer.

It's an incredibly cool idea. Could you give us more specifics ?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....n-your-listening-room-youre-not-using.681688/

I'm in the process of adding a second 2245h right now. It's not really needed, I just like the idea of a separate driver for each channel, and the extra surface area/lower movement should lower distortion a tad.

I assume the baffle board is sealed around the opening.

Correct, with metal roof sealant tape.

What drivers do you have in it ? I see JBL and BGW referenced.

JBL 2245h

Did you sound deaden the steel shell ?

There is no steel shell. The fireplace is lined with fire brick. But even if it did have a steel shell it wouldn't be a concern. The area behind the baffle doesn't experience pressure changes like in a conventional box sub.

Does it sound like distant thunder when you're in the yard ?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Even cranked to the max with you can't hear it from down in the yard. You can hear it when you're close to the top of the chimney when you're up on the roof. Again, an IB sub doesn't behave like a Honda Civic loaded with "competion subs." The lack of back pressure makes for a totally different beast. It's more like planar or open baffle bass, but it goes lower because there's no front to back cancellation.

I've been in search of perfect bass since I was in college in the late 70's, when I founded KAS Audio. We made a dual transmission line subwoofer the size of a coffin loaded with eight Audax bextrine eight inchers mass loaded with a sand/epoxy mixture. This sounds even better. Once you've heard IB bass you can't go back to box subs. Even if the box is perfectly made with no sound of its own, you still hear what the box is doing to the driver.

Last edited:
Love the console. Most of them don't have shelves / front access for gear. Very nice.

Love the console. Most of them don't have shelves / front access for gear. Very nice.
Thanks, it's a real beauty. It's three pieces, otherwise it would be impossible to move. The speaker cabinets came with really nice Heathkit/Jensen 12" coax drivers which I foolishly sold. Now I'm looking for another pair or something similar. It's like a Barzillay in that it came empty and the end user or the dealer filled it with whatever they wanted.

Brother man, quite the collection... love it.

I picked up the exact same heathkit console set -up a couple of years ago...
Heathkit cabinet, Dual 1219 turntable, and Heathkit speaker enclosures with the original Heathkit (jensen) AS-27 speakers.
Re-capped the speakers, replaced an older Radio Shack SS receiver with some tubes & dac.
Amazed at how nice this set up looks & sounds.

Thanks for sharing

index.php
Brother man, quite the collection... love it.

I picked up the exact same heathkit console set -up a couple of years ago...
Heathkit cabinet, Dual 1219 turntable, and Heathkit speaker enclosures with the original Heathkit (jensen) AS-27 speakers.
Re-capped the speakers, replaced an older Radio Shack SS receiver with some tubes & dac.
Amazed at how nice this set up looks & sounds.

Thanks for sharing
That's EXACTLY what was in mine, with a V15 Type II. There were no electronics though. I even have the receipt and all the paperwork, sweet piece. I need to find a nice Heathkit tube receiver for it. I've moved the KLH's over to the bedside "giant table radio" system now, which also has upgraded electronics.

Attachments

• 20161021_230300[1].jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
All of these systems are fully functional right now, and all are FM capable except the computer system. And yes, I'm happily divorced.

Oh sir...You have committed the ultimate sin by covering the fireplace. But we forgive you...:)

Very nice.

1. Man cave: Sony PSX5/Shure V-15II, Sony TC-558, Pioneer F-91, Kromecaster 24 Bit Cloud Streamer, Samsung Blu-ray player with multichannel analog outs, SAE MK XXX, Custom 50 Hz Electronic Crossover, BGW 620B x 3, JBL 2245 Infinite Baffle Fireplace Subwoofer (hidden behind TV) JBL L300 (with Onkyo TX-DS656 reciever for rear speakers only JBL SVA-1800)
index.php

index.php

2. Master bedroom coffee area: Heathkit console, Dual 1219/Shure V15 Tye II, Audio Dynamics CA200E, T2000E, CD2000E, KLH Model Five
This is where I listen to records most often. Eventually I will fill the empty Heathkit speaker cabs with AS-27's or Altec 601's and use the Fives in my 8th system.
index.php

index.php

3. Master Bedroom Bedside: Chromecast Audio, Sony ST-80F, S.M.S.L. SA50 Chip Amp, Realistic 42-2110 Stereo Audio Source Selector (not shown) , Realistic Minimus 7, Velodyne VRP-10
index.php

4. Garden Room/Patio System (depending on which way the speakers are pointed): Chromecast Audio, Olson RA-290 "radar" receiver, Pioneer SP-BS21-LR.
index.php

5. Family Room: 2nd gen Chromecast/TV DAC, Scott 355R, Kef Coda 7
index.php

6. Kitchen countertop: Realistic STA-7, Minimus 7 (meter fuse lamp arrived today)
index.php

7. Desktop computer: Tascam TM-78, Behringer Xenyx502, Kenwood KA-76, Modified KRK6000,Superlux HD681 EVO. Please keep all wire management comments to yourself.
index.php

Back
Top Bottom