My shiny new toy -- Terry's HF-87 build

BuzzK

AK Member
Subscriber
Terry, and old audio buddy of mine, claimed that he makes the best tube amps. Just look at his bench. :)

So awhile back, I challenged him to make one for me. I sent him parts from and for an Eico HF-87, using an improved circuit that Dr. Dave Gillespie provided. It will have fixed instead of cathode bias, and a much improved feedback circuit.

A lot of what Terry does is proprietary. But I just wanted to share some eye candy of my build in progress.

Surely some of the best work I've ever seen. Can't wait to get my hands and ears on it . . .

Buzz

Terrys Shop.jpgHF-87 Shiny.jpgBtm Wiring 1.jpg

No Buzz Kill there. Top shelf. Now,... how to sneak that down and hook it up to my La Scallas.

If someone could enlighten me, I see he is running all the heater wires to each tube from one point, instead of in series. Is there a reason for this?

Maybe trying to reduce voltage drop, but there is a chance of more hum, for the increased wiring, although it is far from the sensitive circuits

Looks good so far. Resisting the temptation to suggest 'Best' and '12AX7' do not quite go together in amplifiers. Keep up the pix.
cheers,
Douglas

Resisting the temptation to suggest 'Best' and '12AX7' do not quite go together in amplifiers.

I imagine if it was Terry's design, he'd use 6CG7 / 12FQ7. But it's not his circuit -- it's an Eico with some modifications . . . whether or not you are a fan of the 12AX7, it's hard not to admire his build quality. So . . . I'm hoping for "the 'best'" Eico HF87/89. :)

Back
Top Bottom