My stuff

The Onkyos look familiar as I just picked up the same ones. A7070 amp and T-4040 tuner right? I accidentally took the lettering off cleaning the tuner. Your stand looks fantastic, but it must be a bit*h cuing up a LP.

Nice stack O' gear. :thmbsp:

Love the old BSR. My older brother had a BSR/McDonald TT and receiver back in the day.:yes:

Your stand looks fantastic, but it must be a bit*h cuing up a LP.

Well, the turntable shelf was supposed to have a neat little slide out mechanism that makes that easier, but the guy never installed it. It's sitting down there and I just have to remember to do it one of these days.

i like the built in! how do you think the enclosure effects your speakers?

its nice that you can find a break from playing music to check out the forum! ;)

happy listening! :music:

i like the built in! how do you think the enclosure effects your speakers?

I think it messes with the imaging and the really low base might not be coming out well enough. I used to rattle the walls with the second track on Boston's second album, but now it just kind of booms a little bit.

Last edited:
An addition! Found this at Goodwill this morning, sadly only a single, but I'm guessing I can find a twin eventually. Only problem I can see is one of the connectors lost the little plastic part. Haven't tested it yet though. Woofer and tweeter look good. I can't tell the model right off the bat, I don't recall one having a port. . . .

http://acagle.net/images/Genesis_1.JPG
http://acagle.net/images/Genesis_2.JPG

[Edit] Aha, it's a V6. . . . .

[Edit II] Hooked up and works fine. I've got it replacing one of my 2+s and it's sufficiently disappeared. Imaging's good. Base is obviously attenuated at the bottom but mid-range and up it sounds close to the 2+ (same tweeter, obviously). It seems tuned to have more upper base making it sound a bit heavier, but it's not overbearingly so and remains clear (snare drums and base sound more pronounced, but not muddled is all). I like the sound. Now all I need is its twin. .. . .

I found it at the second GW I went to and the second I saw it I thought "Score! On my first time out!" sadly, no second one. =( Helloooo, Puget Sound people. . . . .

Last edited:
that Onkyo IA looks like my A-7040 which I bought new in 79/80 great amp sounds good never skipped a beat. my neighbor tossed a beat up pair of those genisis speakers a while back, but I was able to salvage the tweeters.

Yeah, I love my amp. Never a problem, just the phono switch is a little gimpy anymore. I like the clean design, too, I've never gotten tired of looking at it.

Yay, I'm getting a JBL-2050 to pair with my Genesis V6. I'm guessing/hoping it will sound close enough until I can find a twin for the V6.

New JBL

I added a single JBL 2050 to (hopefully) complement the single Genesis. It's a bookshelf, 4" woofer and ported so I thought they would sound similar enough to at least not cause me anguish on listening until I found another Genesis or a similar vintage pair (which I did, darn it, some Smaller Advents).
http://www.acagle.net/images/Speakers/JBL2050.jpg

It's okay, I suppose but I far prefer the Genesis' sound. The JBL really has no low bass at all while the Genesis at least goes down a ways. Not sure how much this is due to the slightly larger woofer on the Genesis (5.5") or if it's just designed better. Not sure what the response is on the JBL, I seem to recall it going down to 70, but the Genesis is at 52 so there shouldn't be that much difference, I would think.

The JBL is also way more up front in the midrange, which may be good or bad; I was listening to one song that had a little guitar riff going and during parts when the riff was more in the background, I could barely hear it on the Genesis but it was obvious on the JBL. It actually detracted from the song not to hear it.

Latest update

Well, here's my latest update to my system. These are the new Smaller Advents that I recently refoamed (see http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=368910). Still have both the Genesis and JBL; JBL will eventually go as soon as I find a twin for the Genesis V-6

Those Advents were exactly what I was looking for. I've wanted a pair for years and this was the perfect room for the Smaller ones. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. I love looking at them, I love listening to them, I love the very idea of even having them. I suppose that's what this place is all about.

Don't know if I'll buy any more vintage speakers, except for a Genesis if I ever find one. I don't need any more (I know, I know. . .) and I'm not sure I'd be that into flipping them. Probably will snag some classic ones again if I come across some for cheap at thrifts or estate sales, but these are just so perfect I know I won't be replacing them anytime soon.

Thanks for everyone's help in the refoaming process.

Attachments

• MyAudio_02.jpg
    MyAudio_02.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 35
I've got that same tt, and it's a good one: their TOTL from that era. Like so much of the other classic Onkyo gear, it's underrated and underpriced in the marketplace (which is great if you're buying Onkyo).

Dayum. I am impressed with these little Advents. I slapped on the vinyl of Spandau Ballet's Parade and it's like I never heard it before. Well, admittedly, I haven't played it since the 1980s. But the bass is just gorgeous. You can hear every thump of the bass drum and the bass line is clear and deep. I'd bet my Genesis' probably are similar (I always loved the bass on those things), but they're three times the size.

Man, I love these things. . . . . .

Did you know that most standard DVD players also play CDs? I didn't. I've been getting a bit bored with with radio and my LPs, so I was thinking about getting a little CD player to hook up to it, but then I remembered I have an old (as in probably 3-4 years, eh) DVD player sitting around. It's actually got labeling on the front saying it plays CDs and MP3s, etc. So I hooked it up.

Interestingly, I am now playing the Best of America through the vintage 1970s system on a DVD player that I originally downloaded from iTunes and then burned to CD. Damn it, I am not a Luddite!

Back
Top Bottom