My System has a New Home (as does my family)

BlackSwamp

Previously DingusBoy
As some of you know, My wife and I purchased a new home a couple of weeks ago. We are still getting settled in but as we do I continue to love the new place.

Part of the appeal is the new room for my main system. The family room (not pictured) is home to the TV so the living room gets the audio rig. The living room is 26' X 15' with a vaulted ceiling and the acoustics are a serious upgrade from what I had in the last place.

With a little work, I hope to integrate the components into shelving around the fireplace and set the speakers off with stands that match. Anyways, here are a few pics of the room and gear.

the first picture shows how I have everything setup now. I plan to keep the speakers up that high and angle them down towards the sweet spot. That way I can clear furniture and utilize the space near the middle of the room to enjoy the fireplace. The distance from the center of the speakers to the far walls is approximately 10 feet and the distance from speaker centers is around 9 feet.

Here is a picture of that shows the layout behind and above the sweetspot. The opening to the landing for the stairs seems to help with bounce but it's hard to say. Eventually, I'd like to acoustically treat that wall. The spot on the couch next to the lamp is my sweetspot.

And finally, a pictue from the top of the stairs gives a better indication of how open the area around and particularly above the speakers is. I instantly noticed an improvement to detail, depth and soundstage in this room. There is very little for the sound to "bounce" off of around the speakers. I was shocked at how much that mucked with things at my old place.

Still a lot of work to do to make it as I'd like but it's really a joy to sit down and listen in that enviroment.

DB, looks wonderful, but I'd say you have yr work cut out for you- that's some strange angles and space to work with.

Congrats Dingus !!!

The new place looks really nice and your system looks like it fits in perfectly.
Good luck, the next few months will be... "what box did I see those in ??? "

Nice Digs :thmbsp: When my wife and I were looking for the house we live in now,one of the builders we looked at had an option for the living room:You could have the room wired for surround sound when they build,or,you could have a fireplace built in,either/or.My wife and I almost had our own version of Wrestlemania over that one,but from your pics,my wife should have been the winner on that one!
Heres hoping you find everything you packed up before its time to move again. :D
Jimmy

tentoze said:
DB, looks wonderful, but I'd say you have yr work cut out for you- that's some strange angles and space to work with.

My house in Dallas was configured exactly like this and although gorgeous I must agree with Toze as it was a bear :cry: to get right especially my subwoofer. . . I had that 50hz bump we all know and love (almost 20dB)

I had to pull the speakers as far out into the room as possible, I couldnt let them "couple" with the walls period. The sub. . . Also moved it out and finally had to get a down firing one and let it couple with the floor. . .

I also used fabric panels hung in problem areas and finally got it right while maintaining the gorgeous looks. . .

You might get lucky and be right on right off the bat. . . Looks great :thmbsp:

Great looking house there,Ding! may you have years of joy within it's boundaries

Alan

DingusBoy said:
Here is a picture of that shows the layout behind and above the sweetspot. The opening to the landing for the stairs seems to help with bounce but it's hard to say. Eventually, I'd like to acoustically treat that wall. The spot on the couch next to the lamp is my sweetspot.

The place looks great! This pic, though, keeps giving me one of those Escher impossible-figure experiences - looks like the stairs are flush with the wall, but go down below it. 'course I haven't finished my morning coffee yet :D

Very nice, DB! I must say that I've never seen such big speakers so high off the ground before. Let us know how the angling works, please. Congrats in the new castle!
Tom

OvenMaster said:
Very nice, DB! I must say that I've never seen such big speakers so high off the ground before. Let us know how the angling works, please. Congrats in the new castle!
Tom

The DMT's are studio monitors. Studio monitors are often soffit mounted angled down at the listener. I would have never considered placing them at such a height but Tubino had these stands and we set em up that way for kicks. Once we did and I liked the way it sounded I realize THAT was the answer to utilizing the fireplace and the audio in the same room. I'm not sure it would work with most large speakers but the dual concentric design allows for thinking about one driver as opposed to many.

With the speakers horizontally straight at this height it can give the impression of being seated at a concert a few rows back with the musicans on an elavated stage. It sounds very good.

Last edited:
RichPA said:
The place looks great! This pic, though, keeps giving me one of those Escher impossible-figure experiences - looks like the stairs are flush with the wall, but go down below it. 'course I haven't finished my morning coffee yet :D

I looked at the pictures again and can see how it gives that impression. The railing is at the top landing not on top of the opening to the living room which is where the stairs have a landing before heading down to the main floor.

DingusBoy said:
The DMT's are studio monitors. Studio monitors are often soffit mounted angled down at the listener. I would have never considered placing them at such a height but Tubino had these stands and we set em up that way for kicks. Once we did and I liked the way it sounded I realize THAT was ther answer to utilizing the fireplace and the audio in the same room. I'm not sure it would work with most large speakers but the dual concentric design allows for thinking about one driver as opposed to many.
As soon as I read that I recalled KEF's Uni-Q concentric tweeters coaxially mounted within the woofers, for a single point source. Makes total sense, DB. :thmbsp: Thanx for that explanation... I get it now:yes:.
Tom

Great looking place, enjoy! Not to worry about the height of the speakers, my Polks are atop six foot wall units. They are in both corners of the Family room where the ceiling and walls meet - talk about bass reinforcement. Since the family room is sunken the ceilings are higher than the rest of the first floor.

Rob

interesting point about the monitors height....

I was playing with the idea of mounting them in those cool wall mounts for TV's that you can adjust like an elbow and wrist...I had some Bose 901's like that and it worked out well,,,,plus no one can mess with the drivers, or topple the stands,,,

and quite easy to make adjustments..

Back
Top Bottom