My system - new house = the next chapter!

pete_mac

My system - now with JM Lab speakers and room reconfig!

Howdy all,

I thought I'd create a brand-spankers thread (moving on from my old thread >>>here<<< ) as I've recently moved into our brand new house, and this will be the catalyst for much system tweaking, refinement, and general gear-swapping over the coming years.

The new room is 3.5m x 5.4m x 2.6m and during construction we added some 'upgraded' Bradford SoundCheck wall insulation. It has helped a bit regarding noise transmission between rooms, but I think I'd need to have gone a bit more hardcore with green glue and double plasterboard and other such things to net a big improvement. I'm happy nonetheless, especially given that the room abuts a large toyroom/spare bedroom and an ensuite/WIR, so this provides additional separation.

The door is a 1.2m wide solid core timber door with glass inserts to match our front door. It is nice and heavy and performs much better than the average hollow-core internal door, that's for sure! I will muck around with a discrete seal on the bottom of the door, or will utilise a draught excluder/snake to improve noise transmission under the door.

The room was initially very 'live' in its current configuration due to the current lack of soft furnishings and wall treatments. There was also a lack of bass at the listening position. I've just finished experimenting with the placement of some acoustic foam and other noise-absorbing panels on the side and rear walls, as well as tweaking the speaker toe-in and the listening chair position. The sound quality is now MUCH better than when I started. I think I will need to make up some more permanent absorbers/panels which have a higher WAF than the existing bare foam and panels.

A lounge will also be added to the room in future when it transitioned into combined audio/home theatre room, so this will no doubt help acoustically if done properly. This will be some time away, as funds will be channelled into landscaping (of the outdoor kind, not the listening room kind!) in the immediate future.

The current gear in this room includes:

• Squeezebox Touch with EDO applet
  • audio-gd NFB3(2014) with ES9018 chip, TCXO upgrade and OCC wire upgrade via asynchronous USB to SB Touch
  • Restored Sansui AU-X701, AU-7700 and AU-719 (rotated every now and then)
  • Technics SL1600 with Denon DL-110 HOMC cart
  • JPW Ruby 2 and Usher S520 speakers
  • Atacama 700mm speaker stands (spiked and sand-filled)
  • Custom EBQTRCD (Expectation Bias Quantum Tunnelling Resonance Control Devices) on top of the speakers - the ingredients being a 3.3kg slab of steel on squishy goo on dodgy MDF plinths
  • Audio Principe signal-carrying cables, and left-over Tara Labs speaker cable for the time being

As you can see, Sansui gear continues (and always will continue) to form the backbone of the system amplification-wise. I'm somewhat of a Sansui tragic!

I'm looking forward to some speaker experimentation/upgrades/sidegrades, permanent room treatments and gear swapping. A new cabinet/rack for my gear is also on the wish-list, but it will need to be relatively kid-proof, so this presents challenges of its own!

I am very much looking forward to pulling a bunch of Sansui stuff out of storage at the skippy124 Sansui Museum (TU-719, SC-3110, SE-7) to create a nice Sansui stack, as well as rotating some of Dad's other nice Sansui amps/receivers through the system when time permits (AU-999, AU-D11, Eight, 881, AU-919, BA/CA-F1 etc).

newroom9_zps01c2b151.jpg

newroom1_zps87cec2b3.jpg

newroom2_zps128115ba.jpg

newroom3_zps20808629.jpg

newroom4_zps3d1005ec.jpg

newroom5_zpsac19cefa.jpg

newroom7_zpsef3a543c.jpg

NFB320146_zps3fd8909b.jpg

newroom6_zps7e61795e.jpg

newroom8_zpse2fac6a5.jpg

Last edited:
Need me to come over and strun records all over the place?

Nice space!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words all! I'm thoroughly enjoying this new space, and look forward to tweaking it so that it has a less 'sterile' feel to it. I'll always keep it fairly simple and clean, but it also needs to develop a soul ;)

Lovely setup. That SL-1600 gets less press than its Mk2 descendant, but I've come to really love mine. It's bulletproof, nicely suspended, a pleasure to use and listen to.

Back
Top Bottom