My system - new house = the next chapter!

Were these units designed by anyone famous?

Ha! Not famous as such, but the original items are currently available for sale at around $800/pr.

After hearing them, I dutifully cloned them ;)

Do they work? Only on some speakers, and it largely depends how rigid the stands are and how heavily the speaker cabinets vibrate.

EDIT: Hrmm... the quoted post has disappeared, so my reply has somewhat lost its context...

[*]Custom EBQTRCD (Expectation Bias Quantum Tunnelling Resonance Control Devices) on top of the speakers - the ingredients being a 3.3kg slab of steel on squishy goo on dodgy MDF plinths

Were these units designed by anyone famous?

See above post for answer.

A recent update - a refurbed, cleaned and polished SR-222 MkII turntable in gloss black.

It suits my rig perfectly and sounds super with a Denon DL-110 HOMC cart installed.

A few updates since October... I've now got a Gieseler Audio Klein DAC in my system, replacing my beloved audio-gd DAC19DSP. The Klein DAC isn't quite as warm, but it has excellent tonal qualities and offers superior sound staging, imaging and separation. It really is a killer piece of kit and I will hopefully have the opportunity to hear it against some very fancied, higher priced DACs soon.

I've also added a Gieseler Power Supply to power my Squeezebox Touch, banishing the old switch-mode PSU forever. Huzzah!!

Gieseler%20PSU%204_zpsdlow4uee.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%205_zps8fdfxlea.jpg

Lastly, I have upgraded my headshell to a lovely vintage Nagaoka magnesium headshell with CU-99 Litz copper tonearm wires. It suits the SR-222 Mk 2 nicely!

nagoka2_zps0xixbyub.jpg

nagoka4_zpsrxeu1hje.jpg

nagoka3_zpss6xwpggr.jpg

A few updates from 2016 that I haven't yet posted to my system thread...

Sansui AU-X711 (Feb 2016) and AU-alpha607MRX (March 2016) - thanks skippy124 (Dad) for allowing me to have these on extended loan!

alphas%20front_zpsieupadgx.jpg

711%20front_zpst7zxnfpo.jpg

711%20xbalanced_zpsehvhiqo5.jpg

607%20front_zpsrb8y588l.jpg

607%20alpha%20circuit_zps6r010hun.jpg

607%20transformer_zpsh7nz66im.jpg

January 2016 - Restored Technics SL-120 with recapped power supply, rebuilt and rewired SME3009 II tonearm with copper Aurealis Star RCAs, and Denon DL110 HOMC cart:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-sl-120-and-sme-3009-ii-resto-tweak.699695/

SL120%20pcb%20after_zpsy5uudtju.jpg

tonearm%202_zpsw7lnat0y.jpg

SL120%20finished1_zpsmj368dow.jpg

SL120%20finished3_zpsnotmlq4i.jpg

September 2016 - Osborn Rhapsody B3 speakers with new SB Acoustics ring-radiator tweeters and revised crossover to suit:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....rhapsody-speakers-a-new-lease-on-life.735359/

Effortless, clean, detailed, musical... these tick all of the boxes for me. Thoroughly enjoyable beheamoths, and all the more satisfying given my crash-course in speaker measurement and crossover adjustment to accommodate the new SB Acoustics tweeters.

osbornmanual2_zpsgoee3tdk.jpg

Osborn%20speakers%20crossover%20tweaking1_zpsarvd3968.jpg

osborns%20in%20situ_zpsxzbecubh.jpg

Other unphotographed tweaks in 2016 :

• Aurealis R1 Dragon Silver and Copper litz interconnects with KLE Pure Harmony RCAs - just superb RCAs which displaced my own DIY solid silver/KLE attempts.
  • Uptone Regen USB de-crapifier with SBooster BOTW P&P linear PSU and Curious Cables Regen link - cleaned up the sound a bit further.

Overall, I'm in a very happy audio place at present!! :)

It's been a while since I've updated this thread! Over two years of relatively little change, apart from using a restored and enhanced Sansui AU-X711 as my main amp.

However, a few recent changes have occurred. I've moved the equipment rack away from the very centre of the rig, and have fitted some temporary cheapy entertainment unit thingies in preparation for a wall-mounted TV (if the pre-Christmas and Boxing Day sales are kind!). I've had to ditch my DIY solid core speaker cables, and are now using some Canare 4S8 star quad cable in 4.5m lenghts.

I've also recently changed to a Gieseler Klein III USB DAC which sounds brilliant, and courtesy of @Cafad have a simply sublime AU-alpha907XR performing sterling duty.

The speakers remain the Elite Aesthet I Mk II and the interconnects are the brilliant Aurealis R1 Dragon silver/copper litz.

Best of all, after the recent changes, my rig has never sounded better.

new1.jpg
NEW2.jpg
new3.jpg
new4.jpg
907xr 2.jpg
907xr 7.jpg
907xr 8.jpg
907xr 9.jpg
K3 1.jpg
k3 6.jpg

Last edited:
Time for a bit of an update, as the room has been reshuffled, up-spec'd, and made more inviting and comfortable for the rest of the family. I really can't complain - my backside is a direct beneficiary of the new lounge and ottoman!
default_smile.png

I haven't changed anything on the pure 2 channel front in terms of components:
  • Sansui AU-alpha907MR as main amp
  • Sansui AU-X711 to power speakers in al fresco area
  • Gieseler Klein III DAC and Gieseler Kraftwerk PSU
  • Squeezebox Touch and Gieseler PSU
  • Elite Aesthet 1 Mk 2 speakers
The rest of the Sansuis and the Technics SL120 are in storage elsewhere in the house.

The gear has, however, been relocated to a modified cabinet to accommodate the large and heavy amps and centre speaker. As a result, my Canare 4S8 speaker cables have been halved in length which is a win!

The big change to the room is accommodating a TV and associated upgrades to allow my hifi gear to mate with a home theatre setup.

Key additions are a TV (Samsung Q75R 75"), a Denon 3312 home theatre receiver, and a lovely Silverline Center Stage centre speaker in birdseye maple which matches the finish of my Elite Aesthet I Mk 2 speakers.

The 3312 acts as a preamp for the left and right speakers, feeding signal to the Sansui AU-alpha 907MR which powers these speakers. The 3312 powers the Silverline Center Stage and also a pair of temporary side/rear speakers which I am experimenting with (Realistic Minimus 7 bricks) and offers plenty of tweakability and sounds pretty decent.

I only hooked-up the Silverline speaker quite recently as whilst the left and right speakers did a good job of creating a phantom centre speaker if you sat right in the sweet spot, this didn't suit multiple viewers who were sitting off-centre as the centre image would collapse. I found this incredibly frustrating. The Silverline has massively improved movie and TV viewing and is a pretty decent tonal match for the Aesthet speakers. Alan Yun knows how to design a nice sounding speaker, that's for sure! I'm 100% a convert regarding the benefits of a centre speaker, particularly when sitting relatively close to the TV.

Tucked in a corner is a HSU Research STF-2 subwoofer which I sourced as a non-working unit. The Class D amp was repaired and fully overhauled and is performing sterling duty with movies.

The previous configuration of the room featured numerous large Martini Polymax XHD50 panels to help tame the room acoustics. I've since pulled-back a bit for aesthetic reasons, with some small panels dispersed around the room, including a trio of canvas prints inside oak frames with XHD50 inside. Unfortunately the canvas prints limit the outright effectiveness of these panels, hence the extra bare panels sitting underneath. Wifey doesn't mind as she loves her framed canvas prints, so all is good on that front. Aluminium french cleats made it easy to securely mount the panels given their bulk.

Interestingly, I can feel the leather lounge vibrate with vocals at certain frequencies at higher volumes - it's amazing to witness the difference that different types of upholstery can play regarding absorption, reflection, and even resonance!

Back
Top Bottom