My system - old meets new!!

Great setup! I sold a friend a restored AU 717 and I have some Dynaudios myself. Remarkable speakers, great sound from such a relatively small enclosure.

A few further tweaks!

I bought some nice Grave Science (made in Australia) speaker, interconnect and digital coaxial cables have improved the level of detail noticeably, and the speaker cables tightened up the bass a bit. Very impressed with them! I needed to convert one set of speaker connections on my AU-517to 5-way binding posts to facilitate the use of cables with banana plugs.

AU517andAU3174.jpg

gravescience1.jpg

gravescience2.jpg

I've also added an audio-gd Digital Interface with separate Class A power supply as a digital signal reclocker between the Squeezebox and my NFB-3 DAC. Still very early days, but I'm liking what I'm hearing.

audiogddi.jpg

I've also made up two sets of 10dB attenuator links for both of my Sansui amps. Very very happy with the outcome... much better volume control, and the amps seem to operate in their 'sweet spots'. There is a DIY that I posted here with further info:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=392186

10db2.jpg

10db3.jpg

10db4.jpg

An update to my system...

A recapped Sansui AU-719 has been added, and it sounds wonderful! Internally and build-quality-wise, the 517 is noticeably superior... but it's the sound that counts, and first impressions tell me that the 719 wins this battle.

I added newer binding posts to the rear to allow the use of banana plugs. This was an easy job on the 719 as it came with basic binding posts already, so the holes on the rear panel were perfect for the aftermarket binding posts.

AU719front1.jpg

AU719insidetop.jpg

AU719newspeakerterms.jpg

AU719newspeakertermsrear.jpg

AU719drivers.jpg

I've also modded my audio-gd Digital Interface by fitting a Tentlabs low jitter XO and a 'faster' hex inverter. I also grabbed a silver power cable too (more bling than anything, but for $10 delivered I thought why not!

The upsampling performance of the DI is noticeably better with the new XO.

I also made a clear acrylic lid for the DI to show off the internals.

dihex1.jpg

dihex2.jpg

diabsystemscable.jpg

tentlabsclock1.jpg

diinside1.jpg

Also, a quick visual comparison of the 517 vs the 719, and two pics of the 719 with some 'companions':

au719finished1.jpg

au719finishedstack2.jpg

au719finishedstack3.jpg

Time for an update! :)

I've acquired a pair of Lenehan ML1 Plus Rs with Mundorf Silver oil by-pass capacitors, Vishay and Mundorf resistors, cryo'd wiring and Eichmann binding posts. They are finished in radiant ebony piano gloss and look sensational. Pics don't do the finish justice. They also have the optional proximity switch fitted and came with padded aluminium flight cases for storage and transportation. Very cool!

I can't believe how heavy and acoustically inert these cabinets are! They are constructed of HDF with a steel lining and weight 26.4lbs each! It's quite amazing. The build quality is just brilliant. The grilles are attached magnetically.

More info on these Aussie-designed and built beasties here: http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/

A few reviews of the base-model ML1s:

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/lenehan-audio-ml1-loudspeaker-review.php

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/Loudspeakers/reviews/lenehan.htm

I love how they sound - I feel like I'm listening to my DAC and Sansui AU-719 amp rather than listening to a pair of speakers. The clarity and resolution is superb. These speakers simply get out of the way and let the source and amplification do their work. I think that the Sansui amp and audio-gd DAC impart enough warmth to provide a very satisfying listening experience.

I've got a more detailed-sounding Emotiva DAC arriving soon so it will be interesting to see how it sounds with the ML1s in comparison to the audio-gd NFB-3.

LenehanML13.jpg

LenehanML11.jpg

LenehanML12.jpg

Update time.

I've had a good listen to the Emotiva XDA-1. At the current run-out price I consider it to be a stonking bargain. The sound is quite balanced - more forward than the audio-gd NFB-3 with a wider soundstage and better fine-detail retrieval. However, it doesn't sound as organic and as tonally accurate as the NFB-3 so it remains my preferred DAC at this price point.

On the subject of DACs, I've just finished burning-in my new DAC - an audio-gd DAC19DSP. It features two high-end PCM1704U-K chips which are R-2R chips rather than the delta-sigma chips which proliferate these days. The DAC19 was discontinued by audio-gd due to the increasing cost (and rarity) of the K-grade PCM1704U chips, so when I saw that they had obtained a few and were re-releasing the DAC for a limited production run, I jumped at the chance.

It definitely ups the ante even further vs the NFB-3. It is more accurate, neutral and more tonally accurate than my current audio-gd NFB-3 DAC, without becoming dry and uninvolving. I am suitably impressed! For me, it pushes all the right buttons She's sounding damn sweet!

DAC19.14.JPG

DAC19.16.JPG

A few more pics related to my new ML1 speakers.

They come in their own individual aluminium flight cases:

79f4522527304259be2cdf013a74e7c3.jpg

Different colour speakers (candy apple red) but you get the idea:
1255257970.jpg

ML1 crossover:

crossover.jpg

Cut-away pic of early-model ML1 speaker:

HD3-enclosure2.jpg

Very impressive!!

I wish to update my hardware soon, and you did a wonderful job on your presentations.

Ever think about selling audio online? You'd certainly get my bids with these great camera angles!!

Very impressive!!

I wish to update my hardware soon, and you did a wonderful job on your presentations.

Ever think about selling audio online? You'd certainly get my bids with these great camera angles!!

Thanks for the comment mate. Muchly appreciated!

I always get a lot of joy seeing detailed pictures of other people's gear, so I figured I'd return the favour. Living vicariously through others is half the fun of our hobby!

A quick update.

The DAC19DSP is really shining. I took it over to a friend's house (who happens to be an audio reviewer) for a bit of a comparison vs the Rega DAC, audio-gd NFB2.1 and Schiit Bifrost DAC. We both agreed that the DAC19 was the most realistic and natural sounding out of these DACs, and a very good DAC indeed given the price. Needless to say I am very happy with its performance and the effect that it has had on the overall sound of my setup.

A few pics of some recent upgrades too:

New power supply filter caps for the Sansui AU-719:

epcosandbypass3.jpg

epcosandbypass2.jpg

New power cord to replace the weedy original cable. Belden 19364 cable, Martin Kaiser silver-plated mains plug, and a Thomas and Betts cable gland:

newcable3.jpg

newcable4.jpg

New DIY IEC cables for the DAC and DI comprising Belden 19364 cable, Martin Kaiser silver-plated mains and IEC plugs, some heatshrink and some carbon-look TechFlex:

diycable1.jpg

diycable2.jpg

And the last addition for a while methinks... a REL T2 subwoofer to flesh-out the low end. I'm really impressed with how well it integrates with the ML1s. I've got the ML1s running full-range and the REL covering the sub-50hz territory. Very smooth, even when positioned close to the wall as per the pic below. I will muck around with the placement a bit more in future, although this is quite limited due to young children and wandering hands ;) Thankfully the REL is also quite compact at about 335mm wide x 375mm high x 394mm deep.

The REL also came with an aftermarket SignalCable Speakon high-level connection cable which certainly looks the part.

http://signalcable.com/relspeakon.html

RELsub.jpg

Absolutely loving how this setup is sounding right now. There's something inherently 'right' about it. Time to stop buggering around with the DIY and starting to listening to more music!

The tweaking bug has once again bitten, so I bought some ProAc 1S clones and have set upon modding the crossovers with higher spec components which are closer to the original ProAc crossovers.

Very nice speakers indeed, and incredible bang-for-buck. The build quality is excellent.

The sound quality with the revised crossover is very nice indeed. They were decent enough with the original crossover (which incidentally uses the same general type of mylar capacitors as per the original speaker) but the new components have opened up the sound, giving better resolution and clarity, and an inherent 'tightness'

1sc1.jpg

1sc2.jpg

1sc3.jpg

New crossover components:

jantzen1.jpg

Old crossover vs new crossover:

clonecrossoversoldvsnew.jpg

Update time... a new DAC now graces my system!

I managed to secure a near-mint audio-gd Reference 5. This is the balanced version of the DAC19DSP that I previously owned, with four PCM1704UK chips, and extra transformer (one for the digital stage and one for the analogue stage) and also balanced outputs on the rear panel. This will mate nicely with a Sansui AU-X901 if I ever manage to find one in future!

Sound-wise it is very similar to the DAC19 in terms of tonality, but with a noticeable improvement in detail retrieval and overall accuracy. Suffice to say that I really like it!

The quality of the casework is noticeably better - solid aluminium panels all-round rather than pressed steel top, bottom and sides and an aluminium front panel. The casework (along with the extra transformer!) take the weight from 4.5kg for the DAC19 to 9.5kg for the Ref 5.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share a few pics of Kingwa's handywork.

ref55.jpg

ref51.jpg

ref53.jpg

ref6.jpg

ref54.jpg

ref58.jpg

A few futher updates.

I've added an Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh reclocker between the Squeezebox and DAC to clean up the 0's and 1's. Removing it from the audio chain shows what a big difference it makes. Everything sounds flatter and less defined. I also bought a DIY'd linear PSU including a superteddyreg regulator which further lifts the performance of the Smesh.

smesh_1.jpg

The REL T2 sub is gone, as I found I wasn't using it much, plus the speaker-level inputs didn't work well with my current Sansui AU-X701 which is a X-balanced, ground-free design.

Speaking of the 701, it's a sensational amp. I've fully recapped it and the sound quality is superb.

aux701outside1.jpg

aux701outside2.jpg

slitfoil6.jpg

I've also acquired some Focus Audio FS68 standmount speakers. I haven't seen a pair of these for sale in Australia as yet. They are Canadian-made and were quite popular over there, as well as in Europe and particularly throughout Asia. Reviews at the time were generally glowing in their praise.

The build quality is quite excellent, with extremely rigid and inert enclosures finished in a piano black finish. They remind me of the Lenehan ML1s in this regard. The binding posts are solid copper Cardas items and the internal wiring is also Cardas. The tweeter is the legendary ScanSpeak 2905-9500 1" soft dome (second only to the Revelator) and the woofer is a custom 5.5" Eton hexacone composite. The crossover uses quality components as one would expect.

Size-wise it's about 1" taller than my ProAc 1S clones and Ushers S520s but has almost identical width and depth measurements, and has the same offset tweeter arrangement.

In terms of sound, out of all of the speakers that I've owned, the FS68 sounds closest to the Lenehan ML1, but based upon my distant audio memory of the ML1s, the FS68 is a tiny bit warmer. There's bags of detail though, and the tweeter is a real honey. It's a very very impressive speaker indeed.

I'll need to do some serious listening over the next week or to so determine which speaker will stay and which will go... FS68 vs Proac 1S clone. They both sound quite different so it will be a tough choice. Time will tell!

fsfront2.jpg

fsfront4.jpg

fsfront3.jpg

fsfront5.jpg

fsrear1.jpg

A few recent additions:

Aurealis R1 interconnects (hand-made with Neotech PCOCC, Eichmann copper bullets and Mundorf silver solder) and Aurealis R2 CuT interconnects (the same build components, but with different thickness of wire and a different design). The interconnects sit between the DAC and amp. They are designed upon the philosophy of using the purest materials possible - all copper, no brass etc.

Anyone who claims that all interconnects sound the same need only compare these two interconnects back-to-back to see what a minor difference in wire size and geometry can make to the sound! The R2s present a strong up-front image, whereas the R1s are more laid-back and present a deeper sound stage. It's quite an eye (and ear) opener!!

Very very good interconnects for the dollars - check out the ebay seller 'gmdb' for further information.

aurealis3.jpg

I've also sourced some NOS TDK PCOCC star quad speaker cable sourced from Monarchy Audio. Apparently TDK were looking to enter the cable business many years back and went to the effort of having reels of PCOCC cable made up by Furukawa, including the use of PTFE dielectric and a special exterior jacket, but TDK pulled the pin and decided to focus on other aspects of their business instead.

Each of the four conductors is 14AWG, so doubling them up as I have done results in 2 x 11AWG conductors.

One end is terminated with Multi Contact low mass beryllium copper BFA bananas and Mundorf Silver Solder (sourced from Audio Turntable Accessories / gmdb) , whilst the other end is bare wire treated with Caig DeOxIt Gold to prevent oxidation.

They do the job nicely and sound very clean and balanced. Better bass and treble extension than the Tellurium Q cables that I recently owned, and less edgy than the Grave Science cables in the upper registers.

monarchycable3.jpg

monarchycable1.jpg

monarchycable4.jpg

Lastly, I managed to grab a second-hand but as-new SVS SB12-plus sealed enclosure 12" sub with a 425W amp in 'rosemar' real timber veneer.

Compared to the REL that I previously had, and the B&W sub that I've recently been using, the SB12-plus is tighter and definitely goes lower with more control and lower perceived distortion. Insert cliches here------> tight, deep, musical bass with no apparent boominess at all. SVS have done a great job shoe-horning a 12" driver into a 35 x 35 x 35cm cube and making it sound as decent as it does. Kudos to SVS!

The build quality of the sub is superb. The timber veneer is divine; the anodised aluminium cone woofer is a brute, and the amp is nicely featured. I also love the pin-less grille which is held on via high-strength magnets.

System integration was fairly straight-forward with minimal gain required, a 50hz crossover point, and a smidgeon of cut via the PEQ to tame a percieved peak that I heard when using a variety of test-tones at 5hz intervals. She sounds pretty flat to me now, but one day I will invest in a DB meter or speaker testing gear to check the response properly.

I've got the sub hooked up via the speaker-level inputs and the 'B' outputs on my Sansui. This makes it really easy to click the B speaker outputs on and off and compare the sound with and without the sub instantly. The improvement in the depth and scale of the music with the sub playing is obvious.

I'm smitten! :)

svs1.jpg

svs2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom