My System(s) [with apologies to Aron Nimzowitsch]

pauljh

I've been immersed in this hobby for a long time. Here is a list of the gear I can remember owning:

Speakers:
Rectilinear III, Infinity 2000 electrostatic/hybrid, Chartwell BBC LS/35A, +custom 3-tube transmission line bass cabinets with KEF B200 woofers, NHT SuperZero loudspeakers with SW2 subwoofer and MA-1 crossover/amp, B&W Matrix 801 Series 3, Infinity infinitesimal 0.3, ELAC UniFi UB5, Infinity Reference Standard 1

Preamplifiers:
Hadley 621, SoundExplorer Ken-Audio Stereo Control Center CR-1000 (tubes), Audio Research SP-6A (tubes, obviously), factory upgrade to SP-6B

DACs:
Proceed Madrigal PDP, Music Fidelity VDAC-II, Oppo Sonica DAC

Amplifiers:
Sony TA-3120 amplifier, Adcom GFA-2, Conrad-Johnson MV45 (tubes), Aragon 4004, factory upgrade to Aragon 4004 mk II, Hafler P1500, Adcom GFA-555 Mk II (I'm regressing).

Tape:
Tandberg 1641X, Nakamichi 582Z

Vinyl:
Dual turntable with Shure V15, SOTA Sapphire turntable + Linn Itokk II arm + Dynavector Karat 23R ruby (I haven't used the SOTA setup in over 20 years. Is anyone interested in this stuff? It was state of the art at the time).

Interconnects:
Non-believer

Speaker cables:
Non-believer

What I'm currently listening to:

Source: JRiver Media Center running on a Windows 10 PC Laptop with DSP room correction convolution filters enabled
DAC: Oppo Sonica DAC hooked to PC via USB
Preamp: (none)
Crossover: Rane AC22B
Woofer Amp: Adcom GFA-555 Mk II
Mid/Tweeter Amp: Aragon 4004 Mk II
Speakers: Infinity RS1

index.php

Last edited:
When I say non-believer, I mean that I don’t think the difference in price between standard interconnects and speaker cable and audiofile interconnects and speaker cables is worth the money or actually in most cases even audible.

Here is a list of my understanding of the relative importance of the audio chain:

Microphones
Recording
Mastering
Speakers
Preamp/DAC
Amplifier
(the rest is really quite unimportant).

I use 12 awg stranded copper speaker cable and Monster Cable interconnects.

Last edited:
Okay just checking because, you know, there needs to be a wire between the stereo and the speakers and all the components. :thumbsup:

But I will say, that is some very nice gear. I would give some up grade speakers cable a try. Friday I gave some Audioquest Type IV cables to try that I wasn't using (too short) to a fellow AK buddy that was using standard copper speaker wire for his AR90's and McIntosh amps. Within two hours he was texting me saying the improvement blew him away. Now he is sourcing cable and connectors to build his own which wont be any more than probably $6-$8/ft. And that is as far as I would go too, especially with our vintage gear/value etc.

Okay just checking because, you know, there needs to be a wire between the stereo and the speakers and all the components. :thumbsup:
... I would give some upgraded speaker cable a try. Friday I gave some Audioquest Type IV cables to try that I wasn't using (too short) to a fellow AK buddy that was using standard copper speaker wire for his AR90's and McIntosh amps. Within two hours he was texting me saying the improvement blew him away. Now he is sourcing cable and connectors to build his own which wont be any more than probably $6-$8/ft. And that is as far as I would go too, especially with our vintage gear/value etc.

I’d be willing to try a set of fancy cables if I could find a dealer willing to sell them on a trial with money back basis.

Very nice.

Those Infinity speakers are just begging for a big ARC tube amp.;)

Back
Top Bottom