My Thorens TD 166 is very sick...

squibber

I have my parents' old Thorens TD 166, but it hasn't been working very well. I've put a Goldring Elektra cartridge on it and i've got it going into a Creek phono stage which also grounds the table, but the hum is still horrible. It also came only from the right channel...the left channel was nearly silent. I have heard that this can come from the hardwired phono plugs coming out of the turntable, so I guess those need to be relplaced. The hum was so bad i didn't play the table, but for a while it I remember it would spin at 33 rpm only and a little faster when set to 45, but never at the right speed.

I live in New York City. Could anybody reccommend a reasonable tech to take it to for a serious tune-up? Or should I get rid of it and try and get something else?

BTW...don't get rid of it. I have one and really, really like it. On mine the factory wired RCA's were removed and RCA plug-ins were mounted on the back. Gives the freedom to try different interconnects.

john

my TD166MkII has the same dreaded hum issue squibber, manipulating the RCA'a cures that nasty hum everytime. Time to get new cable.

Yes, you need a new phono cable.

My Thorens TD147 developed this hum after 20 years of great service. My solution was to buy a refurbished Thorens TD125MKII and a VPI phono cable. :)

I still need a new phono cable for the 147, but now that I am not using it, the hum doesn't seem to bother me!

Dick Schneiders

Don't bank completely on it being just needing new cables. Inside your TT the existing cables likely land on a block with some electronics, a few capacitors and such. (did on my 160 anyway) Just changing the old cables out may not solve anything. Didn't for me. I had to bypass all the existing table electronics and land directly on my SME arm. Fortunately that was easy as the SME has RCA's on it.

Audiokarma member JBLMAR fixed by table for me and it sounds great now. Turns out that the hum was caused by bad connections at the cartridge and the speed issue was from a dirty belt. He also balanced the tonearm and set up the antiskating...it's never sounded better.

All great and knowledgeable advice from fellow Aker´s here.

If you are new to Thorens turntables, you owe it yourself to take a look at:

www.theanalogdept.com

Fix it and enjoy it for the rest of you live.

Jorge

Back
Top Bottom