My thoughts on three CD players: Naim, Musical Fidelity, and Jolida

You know, being someone that has been on the other side of music, recording, producing, and performing, I can tell you I've never been in a studio that cares about the fuses. Or the power cable or the mic cable. Most use standard Mogami cables. I know there are exceptions where some hifi guy decided to go into the recording business.

I have studio experience on the other end of the mic...and I hear ya. My personal philosophy lies somewhere in between both camps. I like something of quality for transmission of all signals and power. Not too much, but not too little either.

As for noisy AC, that's another bag.

I have studio experience on the other end of the mic...and I hear ya. My personal philosophy lies somewhere in between both camps. I like something of quality for transmission of all signals and power. Not too much, but not too little either.

As for noisy AC, that's another bag.

Moderation is the key? :yes: Very ZEN of you.

Arigato!

Moderation is the key? :yes: Very ZEN of you.

tshirt.jpg

:lmao::lmao:

I just hung an oscilloscope to my AC line. Far from a perfect sine wave. It has peaks crushed a bit.

Right. You would be amazed at how much "crap" your digital components feed back into the wall. Rather than spend squliions on conditioning, I simply seperated the two. Existing line for digital, and another for analog. While it's far from perfect, an improvement was most certainly made. It's one I can live with.

Have you ever checked your component polarity Gene? This is probably the only other area which I feel is fully proven. Here's a link, VERY simple and based in science.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/acpolarity.html

With polarity, it's not about achieving the lowest number on each component, but rather having them all match up for increased synergy. While my system is not the best money can buy, I have painstakingly put it together based on sound and synergy. The music quite literally sings and pulls you in, engages you, entertains you...with no hint of gear based bias. It all works together for the same end, and that's the goal IMO.

AC will indeed get in the way of the music. As we discussed, low level detail.

Last edited:
Also, at the risk of snobbery, I think if the gear is of a lower quality, or the syergy is not right, power improvements will not be audible. It's a long road for us audiophiles huh? :yes:

It's not snobbery IMO, but people are understandably sensitive to being told their gear might not be revealing enough to hear differences between cables. When you say "revealing" that's translated to "good," so it can come across as an insult to certain people. But this is not a contest, and you can have a great-sounding system that's not super-revealing. I don't think people should be offended by that.

Can anyone tell me they improved their system by replacing the fuse in their gear with a "HIFI" fuse?

Apparently not, but a lot of people, including me, have tried this successfully. There's a fairly recent thread about it in the TOL forum if you're curious.

I actually appreciate forthright folks with their opinions. It is good to share our thoughts.

Arthur Schopenhauer felt that modesty in itself was a far more cruel trait in humans than knowing when you are truly superior in some area and respecting that with dignity and compassion.

Very cool. I just recorded couple old albums by George Benson. Not his pop shit but the real jazz stuff. Burning!

Dude Benson is one of my faves, everything up to In Flight. His project with Atkins wasn't too bad, I still need to hear his latest which I have been told is great.

Oh ya Benson can really cook, I think alot of people don't know this about him. He is officially a jazz master and not because he can croon "The Greatest Love of All".

Dude Benson is one of my faves, everything up to In Flight. His project with Atkins wasn't too bad, I still need to hear his latest which I have been told is great.

Oh ya Benson can really cook, I think alot of people don't know this about him. He is officially a jazz master and not because he can croon "The Greatest Love of All".

To me, he's the most swinging guitarist that came after Wes.

And his commercial stuff pays the rent for him. He used to work at Rudy's guitar shop on 48th Street when he was playing real music! Sad, ya know?

Update

I thought I should talk about this a little since I alluded to it in my last part of this review.

About a week ago I finally got around to moving the PS Audio Juice Bar outlet center from the TV/DVD/music system to my headphone system, which is what I use 90% of the time to listen to these CD players at the moment.

You'll recall that the Juice Bar is a deliberately minimal design; there are no switches, lights, surge protectors, power conditioning - nothing. Just copper bus bars and PS Audio's basic hi-fi outlets (eight available altogether) in a heavy aluminum chassis.

Yes, there was undoubtedly a real increase in performance, even beyond what I described in my last posts. The natural, refined sound became more natural, and more refined. I hear more detail, dynamic range has greater effect than before, and everything just sounds more open. It's made it that much easier to compare the three CD players.

For now I've settled on a Shunyata Research Diamondback power cord from the outlet to the IEC inlet of the Juice Bar. From there I have yet another of the Diamondback pc's going to the CD player in use. In effect, it's like having a three meter run of the Shunyata pc from wall outlet to source component.

Not sure why I waited so long to do this, and now I don't think I could go back, so large is the improvement in sound, in so many ways.

As I said before, this new arrangement enhanced the performance I get from all the CD players. Positive changes in the sound of the Jolida were at least equally as noticeable as those with the other two better CD players. Perhaps even more, as a matter of fact. However, I am now able to hear more than ever that the Jolida - ironically, considering it has tubes - is clearly the brightest and harshest sounding of the three. This seems like a damning statement, but I still maintain that the Jolida is a very nice CD player, and one that people should consider if upgrading from a "lesser" CD player.

One example of the above: A few nights ago I broke out the Beatles in Mono box set. I used the Jolida first, thinking the tubes might perhaps tame the excessive (IMO) upper midrange energy in these recordings, and thereby eliminate listener fatigue. As it turns out, I was wrong, and switching from the Jolida to the Musical Fidelity, then playing the same Beatles songs, it was perhaps the biggest difference in sound I've ever heard between these two CD players. The MF was more coherent, revealed more detail, reproduced richer harmonic colors, and most importantly, it was so well balanced that it eliminated listener fatigue that I sometimes get with the Beatles in Mono CDs.

So there you have it. Now I'm going back to listening! :music:

Nice comparative review and updates, Mr. Lin! :yes:

Thank you.

Nice update: could you please post some pictures of your new setup at some point?

For you guiller, of course! This setup is somewhat unconventional (for me at least) in that everything is in a different area. Properly supported, etc, but not on traditional stands or shelves. The picture of my headphone amp came out blurry, so it's not here. Underneath the Juice Bar you can see I put three of Herbie's Iso-cups with the "db Neutralizer" balls, just for the heck of it.

One thing I can say about the Juice Bar, the outlets grip the prongs very tightly, so it can be a hassle to plug and unplug things. But obviously I'll happily put up with that to have the tight grip.

rsz_hpim2098.jpg

rsz_hpim2099.jpg

rsz_hpim2100.jpg

Just one other thing I'd like to add to this: Believe it or not, PS Audio recommends the use of specialty footers underneath the Juice Bar, as well as a better power cord than the one that comes stock with the outlet strip.

I couldn't tell you if the Iso-cups had any significant impact on the sound quality in this application, it's just one of those things were I had them on-hand, they weren't being used, and I figured it certainly can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom