My Threshold system

Been a long time since I posted any system pics, the vintage McIntosh system is gone and was replaced by a less vintage Threshold system. We just bought our house and did a little living room make over so I figured now is a good time to post some new photos.

the system is

Garrard 401 with two Fidelity Research fr-54 tonearms one with a soundsmith denon dl103r and the other set up for 78's with a audio technica mono cartridge. DIY plinth.

Threshold fet 10pc phono preamp
Threshold fet 10hl preamp
Threshold s/300 amplifier
denon dvd2900 cdp
Dali ikon 6 speakers
definitive technologies sub
Kimber Kable silver streak interconnects
Kimber speaker wire
Zu audio power cables

the rack is DIY, the record boxes are DIY the sound absorption panels are DIY , the rug is banana.

thanks for looking.

Thanks so much guys. Yeah the Threshold gear really sounds great. The fit and finish, build quality are top notch and the sound... man I came from a biamped vintaged McIntosh set up running a dbx driverack auto room correction and switched to the Threshold, no tone controls in sight and couldn't be happier. It just sounds right. I love the simplicity of the system, hell I would ditch the cd player but my girlfriend wants us to have one for the two times a year she wants to listen to a CD otherwise it is a vinyl only rig.

Nice setup! Enjoy!

And I like the "card catalog" bureau.

Yeah my girlfriend is a Librarian and I looked around for years for a card catalog, after about 7 or 8 years of hunting, missing out on everyone that came up for sale I finally found the perfect one. When the libraries did away with the card catalogs they just threw them away by the truck load, hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

... man I came from a biamped vintaged McIntosh set up running a dbx driverack auto room correction and switched to the Threshold, no tone controls in sight and couldn't be happier. It just sounds right. I love the simplicity of the system

Funny you mention biamping. I biamp my Pass Labs and Threshold monoblocks with some FirstWatt active crossovers. Not simple but still love the sound.

I was reading one your other post on LOMC and I thought "which LOMC haven't you tried ?" this would really give me lots of information as the one's you've tried makes my head spin and I get very dizzy. Of course I'm saying this as a major complement.

I own a Nakamachi PA 5II which is kind of a poor boy's (well I'm not so poor, I protest too much) Nelson Pass wanda be amp. So I know where you are coming from or where I'd like to be leaning toward. Like we're tight? Right? Another 'I admire your system' complement.

To add more vicarious but comeuppance thoughts you're also into Fidelity Research tone arms and products. So if you have any sloppy seconds B stock, I'm all ears as Ross Perot might say.

Thank you sir for sharing I salute you.
Michael

I was reading one your other post on LOMC and I thought "which LOMC haven't you tried ?" this would really give me lots of information as the one's you've tried makes my head spin and I get very dizzy. Of course I'm saying this as a major complement.

I own a Nakamachi PA 5II which is kind of a poor boy's (well I'm not so poor, I protest too much) Nelson Pass wanda be amp. So I know where you are coming from or where I'd like to be leaning toward. Like we're tight? Right? Another 'I admire your system' complement.

To add more vicarious but comeuppance thoughts you're also into Fidelity Research tone arms and products. So if you have any sloppy seconds B stock, I'm all ears as Ross Perot might say.

Thank you sir for sharing I salute you.
Michael

Thanks man, nothing wrong with that Nak at all! I really dont think you can go wrong with any Pass design.

And yes, I am a FR fan as well, I really geek out on esoteric audio gear and as great as the Threshold and Fidelity research stuff is they just aren't as well known as they should be. I say it all the time, late 80's early 90's high end boutique audio gear are the best deals in the hobby right now. They aren't new enough for the modern guys and aren't old enough for the vintage guys. The designers of the era threw everything they had at this stuff, spared no expense and it fits right in with any high end gear today. Hell when you open up the fet/10 phono preamp the entire circuit board is gold! I felt like that scene in pulp fiction where Sam Jackson opens the brief case, basking in the warm glow of gold! hahahahaha Nelson Pass was definitely not F'n around with this stuff!

Funny you mention biamping. I biamp my Pass Labs and Threshold monoblocks with some FirstWatt active crossovers. Not simple but still love the sound.

I really want some Threshold mono blocks, if the right deal pops up I'll jump on them otherwise my next step up will be a Pass Labs system. New (to me) speakers will be my next big purchase then I'll start upgrading the equipment to their level. I really want some Wilson's , sophias probably, and think the wilson's and pass labs would be a great match!

I really want some Threshold mono blocks, if the right deal pops up I'll jump on them otherwise my next step up will be a Pass Labs system. New (to me) speakers will be my next big purchase then I'll start upgrading the equipment to their level. I really want some Wilson's , sophias probably, and think the wilson's and pass labs would be a great match!

You could also find another s/300.

I see you have two FR54. How hard is it to do VTA with the FR54?
In another thread there was a discussion of the FR54 and FR24.
I'm still trying to figure out what the difference between the two is?
Michael

Back
Top Bottom