My Threshold system

I see you have two FR54. How hard is it to do VTA with the FR54?
In another thread there was a discussion of the FR54 and FR24.
I'm still trying to figure out what the difference between the two is?
Michael

It's pretty simple. Thumb screw on the base and it slides up and down. Honestly the thing I love most about the fidelity research stuff is the fit and finish. They are really nice pieces, feel solid in your hands. I've had lots of tonearms of all designs a lot of them feel like toys in your hand, the fr54 feels like a precision instrument. Love it so much I put two on there!

I've been looking for that preamp/phono setup for years ... hang on to them as they are hard to find in good shape. Mono blocks are not a bad way to go, I picked up a set of SA/6e from none other than Jon Soderburg himself. I drove from Portland to Sacramento just to meet him and check out his digs. Turns out the amps were made for Rene Besne and were his personal amplifiers for about 20 years. Jon went through them top to bottom and they are mint in every way. A piece of audio history, and they will likely be buried with me in my coffin.

O'h to have the full Threshold setup ... I'm jealous! Fine looking system you have there.

The fit and finish, build quality are top notch and the sound... man I came from a biamped vintaged McIntosh set up running a dbx driverack auto room correction and switched to the Threshold, no tone controls in sight and couldn't be happier. It just sounds right.
Wait...that's Conrad Johnson, not Threshold.

upload_2017-4-15_10-16-42.png

:D

When I bought my C-J preamp I thought I might miss the tone controls. But I found I have never needed them. And the PA-7 amp (Pass's "Stasis" design for Nakamichi, nearly identical to the S-series Thresholds) has the cojones to fill everything out nicely. I am likely going to replace the PA-7 with a tube amp from C-J, but there is no way I'd get rid of it--I may want to swap it back in, or build a nice second system around it.

Room correction causes more problems than it fixes, so I've never gone that route. And having the added circuitry out of the way does make for a cleaner sound overall. :)

I've been looking for that preamp/phono setup for years ... hang on to them as they are hard to find in good shape. Mono blocks are not a bad way to go, I picked up a set of SA/6e from none other than Jon Soderburg himself. I drove from Portland to Sacramento just to meet him and check out his digs. Turns out the amps were made for Rene Besne and were his personal amplifiers for about 20 years. Jon went through them top to bottom and they are mint in every way. A piece of audio history, and they will likely be buried with me in my coffin.

O'h to have the full Threshold setup ... I'm jealous! Fine looking system you have there.

Nice! Yeah I love the preamp/phono set up, actually looking for another fet/10pc phono preamp for the system, definitely hard to come by. I traded a McIntosh preamp I paid $500 for for my pre/phono combo! Best audio trade I've ever made!

What has impressed me about the Threshold amps is they are very detailed without the hints of brightness I find on some (but not all) of the Aragons, Brystons and other mega amps. Of course with the right speakers those amps can sound fantastic too. I also find ( no surprise here) that Threshold amps sound even better with Threshold preamps. Excellent system. Keep up the good work.

What has impressed me about the Threshold amps is they are very detailed without the hints of brightness I find on some (but not all) of the Aragons, Brystons and other mega amps. Of course with the right speakers those amps can sound fantastic too. I also find ( no surprise here) that Threshold amps sound even better with Threshold preamps. Excellent system. Keep up the good work.

This sums it up pretty much exactly!

Love the DIY. Nicely done!

Thanks! I'm an artist so I really enjoy making stuff. My dad is also a wood worker and do it yourself kinda guy so I grew up working on stuff, building stuff, wrenching around. I think if people spent more time making things and less time buying things the world would be a much better place!

Dang son, that's a nice room! I love your rig, too.

"the rug is banana" cracked me up!

Dang son, that's a nice room! I love your rig, too.

"the rug is banana" cracked me up!

yeah , it's woven banana leaves. we have actually been storing that rug for almost 10 years waiting for the right place to put it, works great with the room.

Back
Top Bottom