Considering the amount of beer involved, I'd say I'm off to a pretty good start

Attachments

• shower retile.jpg
    shower retile.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 181
  • shower retile 2.jpg
    shower retile 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 181
Nice! Sorry you didn't post earlier ... you could have done mine for practice! :D

I cheated and went with a Sterling kit alcove ... pan and three interlocking walls. Slam, bam, thank you man ...

shower-alcove.jpg

42" and just finished it up Saturday. Already had it's maiden voyage - just gotta add the perimeter trim. I was hoping to get away with the curtain, but alas ... I already hate it and ordered a pivot door. Silly things are expensive, aren't they?

Little more work involved than what I implied as the project involved ripping out a jetted tub and relocating all the drains and plumbing. Tried ordering copper lately? Hardware guys looked at me like I was crazy ... then again, wouldn't be fun if I couldn't put fire in the walls and breathe lead ... <G>

PS ... might want to mark the studs if you haven't already done so before you close it up so you can add grab rails later. Handy little devils for us older types ...

This project was originally just going to be a tub replacement with a tile shower, but has since, of course, morphed into a a full on bathroom remodel.

I'm moving the vanity to the other wall of the bathroom, I'll have to move the plumbing about four feet,.....Yeah!:no:

I was just about to set the first tile horizontally Sunday when the wife walks in and says, "Aren't ya gonna set those like diamonds?".

Me, "Yeah I guess I could, it's gonna be a few more cuts though", about a bazillion more.

I got the shower plumbed last night.

I've got until Friday to at least get the bathroom functional as we're wanting to move in the house this weekend, so I've got keep throwin' mud.

My wife wants the same thing done to our upstairs bathroom.

Guessing it will be a winter project for me...

I'll use yours as inspiration! :thmbsp:

This project was originally just going to be ...

Famous last words, that ... I use them all the time. :D

That was the plan here, and so far it's worked out well. I built a bump out on a tiny cottage style bathroom 30 years ago with the intention of eventually converting to a shower stall when I hit geezer time. Surprise ... it all came together. I even have enough tile to match the rest of the floor! Beats the carp out of having to rip the entire room because you can no longer get that style.

Hardest part of the job was pulling out all the flow restrictors on the shower head ... they don't make that easy either, but it was wimpy right out of the box with my 40ish pounds of pressure. 2½ gallons at 80 pounds is the rule - cut the pressure in half, and it's pretty sad. Minus all the doodads, it's not bad at all.

shower-flow-restrictors.jpg

Something to keep in mind for anyone getting into plumbing as some mfgs don't give you the option. Delta is pretty good about giving the EPA a nod and a wink on restrictions and still allowing you to gut the planet if you've a mind to ...

I made a little headway tonight, hopefully I'll get to grouting tomorrow.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 107
Good point, but shouldn't be a problem on vertical surfaces if the grout is dressed and sealed properly.

I guess the new "standard" is to sealcoat the cement board ...

Sealed-slab-penetration-product.jpg

... then tape the seams with mastic instead of mortar as you apply the tile. That way the corners stay soft and mold to the tile, so no high spots ...

Fun fact ... cement board can soak up and retain three times as much water as standard green board if the seal fails. I did not know that.

Yep, I didn't tape it. If grouted correctly, including sealing the grout, it should be fine.

I did see where people are sealing the cement board these days, I didn't though as it seems like overkill when using moisture resistant cement board. But hey, I'm no professional.

Anyway, too late now as the grouting is pretty much done. Check it out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 85
None of my business, but I didn't see any taping on the cement board... Did I miss it?

Good point, but shouldn't be a problem on vertical surfaces if the grout is dressed and sealed properly...

As I understand it, taping the seams under tile isn't so much to create a waterproof seam as it is to join the two pieces of backer, yielding a joint less likely to flex if leaned upon. If it flexes, grout can break and then the whole trouble with water can begin. The seams shown above are pretty high on the wall, so shouldn't be much trouble.

As I understand it, taping the seams under tile isn't so much to create a waterproof seam as it is to join the two pieces of backer, yielding a joint less likely to flex if leaned upon. If it flexes, grout can break and then the whole trouble with water can begin. The seams shown above are pretty high on the wall, so shouldn't be much trouble.

Yup ... add to that, it's the fiberglass mesh that adds the strength ... either mortor or mastic provides the bonding so the mesh stays put.

All this has a lot to do with why I went with the interlocking precast shower stall. That doesn't even need to be caulked except around the door. Actually surprised how solid that feels ... not like one of those cheap motel jobs. The injection molded Vikrell that Sterling uses is pretty thick too, so there's no bounce and it damps sound nicely. You don't get that "trapped in a tin can" sound effect like with the plastic. I hate it when the sound of the water hitting the wall drowns out my melodious caterwauling ... <G>

EDIT >> If anyone felt the rumble of the water table dropping, that was me going back to my trusty old Speakman shower head that could double as a water cannon ...

2013-turkey-water-canon.jpg

Ah ... refreshing!

Tried two of those new fangled eco-friendly jobs - both are wimpy as hell. Those will probably end up in the landfill shortly. How's THAT for eco-friendly?

Last edited:
Lookin' good!

What door is that?

I went with a pivot myself (yet to be installed) as I felt a slider would be a bit cramped in a 42" alcove, and I also have the room to swing one - it'll stick out about 30" when open. Biggest decision was whether to pay the $300 more they wanted for a taller door - only another 3½ inches - I figure I'd have to duck under the bar either way, and it wasn't worth it. Bonking the noggin a couple times trains you pretty fast anyway.

Trade off is pivot doors tend to drip on the floor when open - gotta get me a door squeegie ... <G>

Lookin' good!

What door is that?
. <G>

Thanks.

I'm not sure of the brand door as we purchased the shower pan and doors from someone on Craigslist, they we're doing the exact opposite of us and pulling the shower out and installing a tub for their little kids.

Here's a little progress pic of the floor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom