My try at a Really Nice Rebuild Marantz 1060

bktheking

Gitter Done!
Parts have arrived-I'm going to start it shortly, i'm audio exhausted however just seeing that big power cap gives me incentive.

img5531r.jpg

So come on then Bk, what goodies do you have? I'd like to know, also any reasoning behind them. :) I don't want to pick it to bits, just to be nosy really.:yes:

Let's start with coupling caps- Leestereo will have to chime in on the "reasoning" , I'll be posting the pics and progress. First lets start with coupling caps. Stock capacitance is 3000uf at 55V, the choice was Panasonic 105 degree caps rated at 6800uf rated at 63V-snap in caps. I just replaced one for comparison and photo's. Since they are snap in I had to solder eyelets to the caps.

img5533y.jpg

img5534lj.jpg

Now for the "pièce de résistance", the main cap is a computer grade low ESR BHC cap rated at 10000uf/100v. This cap was worth half the cap order, however if you are going to sink money into caps you may as well invest in the power supply. The stock cap is 4700uf/80v. It has just enough clearance for the lid, the bottom of the chassis and has screw terminals.

img5535j.jpg

Bloody hell, that BHC cap makes those Panasonic's look like the borrowers! :D

:lurk:

What I would like to know is how you are able to get away with going so far above the original rating. :scratch2:

Last edited:
Nice choice. The BHC ALS30A are great capacitors and I've used them with much success in the past!

I have to thank Leestereo for that choice, I searched high and low and came up empty- I was going to with a Nichicon from Partconnexion until he pointed out this one. I missed it cause I never thought of screw terminal. Here is a bottom shot with it installed.

img5536u.jpg

Onto the power supply board now.

Nice work there Bk. Is this unravelling as we watch (almost live)?

You should be done by morning if it is. :scratch2::music:

Let's start with coupling caps- Leestereo will have to chime in on the "reasoning" , I'll be posting the pics and progress. First lets start with coupling caps. Stock capacitance is 3000uf at 55V, the choice was Panasonic 105 degree caps rated at 6800uf rated at 63V-snap in caps.

Some the reasoning: a capacitor coupled output stage means that the signal path capacitor sees half the power supply voltage at all times, in this case about 35V. Since this is a signal path cap that is subjected to power supply conditions, a low ESR, high ripple rating, 105°C cap was chosen. The voltage rating was increased to 63V from the stock 55V since the latter is not a standard value. Note that a 50V rated cap would have been sufficient, but a 63V one was chosen to satisfy the last consideration: the aesthetics, i.e., same diameter as original caps to be able to use the cap clamps without a spacer around the cap.

Looks good. I didn't realize this was a quasi-complimentary design. Kind of like my Pioneer SX-626. I used Nichicon caps for that, but I only did the power amp board and the main capacitor. I'd post a link to the thread, but I"m using a tablet to type this, and don't know how to open up another window yet. Wow, I feel really out of date with my computer knowledge. Bring back the ZX81 and the BBC Micro I say...

Lee.

Forgot to mention that the original 3000uF output capacitor size was adequate, with a cut-off frequency of about 5Hz. The 6800UF cap does lower the cut-off frequency to about 2Hz, but that is not really necessary. As was pointed out by sony6060 in the cap shootout thread, the output cap should be at least 2200uF. Nor is the improved phase response likely to be audible. Bottom line: using the 6800uF cap here won't hurt and may help.

This is like watching the directors cut of a movie. Installation expertise by BK and technical narration by Lee, thanks guys.:music:

Nice choice. The BHC ALS30A are great capacitors and I've used them with much success in the past!

This series of BHC computer grade capacitors have many of the characteristics that I think are desirable in power supply capacitors (in no particular order): low ESR/impedance across the frequency range, low leakage, and high ripple rating (10A in this case). They are a bit pricey ($27 for the 10000uF/100V), but interestingly, still cheaper than the Nichicon KG 10000uF/100V at $33 from Parts Connexion. Although, a smaller manufacturer, BHC are known for their R&D looking into sound quality and capacitor design; IIRC, they developed the "slit foil" capacitor technology that is used in many UK "high-end" amp designs.

This is like watching the directors cut of a movie. Installation expertise by BK and technical narration by Lee, thanks guys.:music:

I concur, it is great. :)

As was pointed out by sony6060 in the cap shootout thread, the output cap should be at least 2200uF. Nor is the improved phase response likely to be audible. Bottom line: using the 6800uF cap here won't hurt and may help.

I'm reading about that too, just for a different cause. :scratch2:

Yes this is pretty much live Pingu, I just broke for dinner and finished off the p800 board. As you can see in the photo's, the glue on the bottom side of the board began to corrode the 100uf caps. All values were upped on this board as well as replacement diodes- UF4005's.

C803 was 470uf it's now 1000
C804 was 100 it's now 220
C805 was 330 and is now 680
C806 was 100 and is now 270

Pre replacement-

img5537x.jpg

Post replacement-

img5538av.jpg

The "bad caps", the leads simply broke off and were rusted.

img5539b.jpg

I'm now going to fire it up and give it a listen.

Instant power upgrade gents-the power output is back! It could be made to be loud at around 5-6 on the volume dial, now it's more like 2 or 3. I measured the coupling caps for fun, they were sitting at around half their rating, I kid you not!

Back
Top Bottom