My two systems

spartree

PYd9BBW.jpg

EwcW9Za.jpg

That’s the main system. Would like to have an area rug, but my wife is against it. Weird I know. For critical listening when she isn’t home I do put a few strategically placed pillows on the floor. The preamp is currently sitting under the table because it’s too deep to go on the shelf, and too ugly (according to the wife) to put up top. Those are the compromises of cohabitation and having your stereo in the living room! I considered taking the back off the console table but I did not trust the structural integrity without it in place.

Audio Note AN-E/LX Hemp speakers
Audio Note Quest monoblocks
Audio Note M2 preamp w/phono
Audio Note AN-S2 MC step up transformer
Linn LP12 w/ Ekos II, Lingo, Troika
Digital is handled by a Mac Mini dedicated to audio, feeding a Musical Fidelity V90-DAC at present, but I also have a Musical Paradise MP-D1 DAC.
Nordost White Lightning speaker cables
Oehlbach interconnects
Merlin power cables

Obligatory disclaimer: Audio Note speakers are designed to work with room acoustics rather than against, and corner placement is typical. They also generally don’t need much in the way of room treatments to sound good. Not that the wife would want acoustic panels in the living room anyway...

ii359pX.jpg

That’s the vintage setup - err it used to be like that anyway. It’s currently on loan to my cousin while I’m working abroad.

KLH Model Five speakers
Marantz 1060 amp
Thorens TD125 w/ SME 3009 + Ortofon 2M Blue
KLH Model Eighteen FM Tuner

I’m extremely happy with the sound of both systems, but by all means share your thoughts/suggestions/questions. I think my next step will be a new DAC. Audio Note 2.1x Signature will be on the list, but I’d also like to check out some R-2R options. And I’d like to get a decent CD transport one day so I can dust off the rest of my music collection. I do have most of it on the Mac, but still would like to be able to play a CD.

Thanks for looking.

Jon

Jon, these are great. Glad you posted them. Disregard my question about the speakers in the other thread. They are really good looking. I imagine they sound great too.
The Model Fives are a great choice. Have you had the caps replaced etc on them as of yet?
Who's the decorator? You or the wife?

Jon, these are great. Glad you posted them. Disregard my question about the speakers in the other thread. They are really good looking. I imagine they sound great too.
The Model Fives are a great choice. Have you had the caps replaced etc on them as of yet?
Who's the decorator? You or the wife?

Thank you. Yes, the Fives have had a full recap, refinish, reseal, and have modern binding posts installed.

My wife is the decorator and the artist. We have very similar taste when it comes to design, so it works out well.

Sweet! The setups look like they came straight out of a magazine.

I'm a sucker for matched systems, so I'd go with the Audio Note DAC to match the system as much as possible. But that's me.

Sweet! The setups look like they came straight out of a magazine.

I'm a sucker for matched systems, so I'd go with the Audio Note DAC to match the system as much as possible. But that's me.

Thank you. Yes, I have been on the path toward a fully AN system and will likely go that way with the DAC as well. Seems to be a sure fire way to nail the synergy aspect, and I can definitely say that things have improve drastically with each component I’ve added. Started with AN speakers, then added the preamp, then the monos. After the DAC I’ll probably get the itch to replace the LP12 with something from Audio Note as well. Maybe the lowest cost version of their TT3...

Thank you. Yes, I have been on the path toward a fully AN system and will likely go that way with the DAC as well. Seems to be a sure fire way to nail the synergy aspect, and I can definitely say that things have improve drastically with each component I’ve added. Started with AN speakers, then added the preamp, then the monos. After the DAC I’ll probably get the itch to replace the LP12 with something from Audio Note as well. Maybe the lowest cost version of their TT3...
Synergy is often an underrated thing. To have components that were designed to be used together, for both sound and looks, and that have similar quality is a great thing. I love the synergy and quality I have with my matched Luxman systems.

That is one beautiful and esthetically pleasing Audio Note / Linn system. I've never heard Audio Note or the LP12 to comment on its sound, but they're highly praised by many.
And you vintage system is a looker too.

That is one beautiful and esthetically pleasing Audio Note / Linn system. I've never heard Audio Note or the LP12 to comment on its sound, but they're highly praised by many.
And you vintage system is a looker too.

Thanks a lot. Audio Note takes a different approach to design and as a result their stuff has a sound that is a bit different from most modern hifi equipment. It’s resolving but perhaps not to the nth degree. Always listenable, engaging, dynamic, exciting, and never fatiguing. The speakers like to be in the corners, but this is not strictly necessary for great sound. Ideally the wall they’re against should be concrete or otherwise very solid. Flimsy drywall can have a tendency to make the speakers sound boomy if they’re too tight to the corners. My walls are concrete, so they’re perfect here. I’m really happy with them.

The LP12 is fun and there is thankfully a solid supply of used Linn tonearms, etc to choose from. Buying Linn components new is a bit too pricey if you ask me.

Mighty fine setups!

Rome

Very nice! You’ve got a great eye for design. Well put together.

Thanks folks. I think the stereo works with the decor and even becomes the main focal point of the room. Having speakers that can work well tucked into the corners helps in that regard. We’ve also decided that a big TV is not for us as we much prefer to have music playing while we relax in the evenings.

PYd9BBW.jpg

EwcW9Za.jpg

That’s the main system. Would like to have an area rug, but my wife is against it. Weird I know. For critical listening when she isn’t home I do put a few strategically placed pillows on the floor. The preamp is currently sitting under the table because it’s too deep to go on the shelf, and too ugly (according to the wife) to put up top. Those are the compromises of cohabitation and having your stereo in the living room! I considered taking the back off the console table but I did not trust the structural integrity without it in place.

Audio Note AN-E/LX Hemp speakers
Audio Note Quest monoblocks
Audio Note M2 preamp w/phono
Audio Note AN-S2 MC step up transformer
Linn LP12 w/ Ekos II, Lingo, Troika
Digital is handled by a Mac Mini dedicated to audio, feeding a Musical Fidelity V90-DAC at present, but I also have a Musical Paradise MP-D1 DAC.
Nordost White Lightning speaker cables
Oehlbach interconnects
Merlin power cables

Obligatory disclaimer: Audio Note speakers are designed to work with room acoustics rather than against, and corner placement is typical. They also generally don’t need much in the way of room treatments to sound good. Not that the wife would want acoustic panels in the living room anyway...

ii359pX.jpg

That’s the vintage setup - err it used to be like that anyway. It’s currently on loan to my cousin while I’m working abroad.

KLH Model Five speakers
Marantz 1060 amp
Thorens TD125 w/ SME 3009 + Ortofon 2M Blue
KLH Model Eighteen FM Tuner

I’m extremely happy with the sound of both systems, but by all means share your thoughts/suggestions/questions. I think my next step will be a new DAC. Audio Note 2.1x Signature will be on the list, but I’d also like to check out some R-2R options. And I’d like to get a decent CD transport one day so I can dust off the rest of my music collection. I do have most of it on the Mac, but still would like to be able to play a CD.

Thanks for looking.

Jon
Exceptional equipment that is displayed in a way that I too find pleasing to look at. I would love to hear your AN system as I do not have the funds for one and have never had the opportunity to hear one. Don't forget to collect on that loan when you get back to the states. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Back
Top Bottom