My two systems

Pinterest at least!

Oddly enough, I was browsing Pinterest one day and saw that someone had uploaded the picture my vintage setup, and then shortly after that I saw a picture of my main setup at the time (photo below). It was kind of funny. “Hey honey, isn’t that our living room?” I guess once you’ve put something online it starts a life of its own...

UFKNJVJ.jpg

Updates. The main system now consists of:
Audio Note AN-E/LX Hemp speakers
Audio Note Quest monoblocks
Audio Note M5 preamp w/ phono
Audio Note DAC 3.1x/II Balanced
Audio Note AN-S2 MC step up transformer
Linn LP12 w/ Lingo PSU
Linn Ekos II tonearm
Linn Troika low output MC cartridge
Mac Mini
Matrix X-SPDIF 2 USB interface
Nordost White Lightning speaker cables
Audio Note ISIS interconnects
Audio Note ISIS power cables
AudioQuest Cinnamon SPDIF
AudioQuest Cinnamon USB

Next purchase: a larger console table or a proper audio rack if I can find something that fits the decor. The poor LP12 deserves to return to her former spot on the top shelf...

Ri7UeWK.jpg

syVEl5o.jpg

Well, I saw an interesting CD Player and decided to pick it up to use as a transport into my DAC. It’s a bit old for a CDP (1998-ish), but it uses the Philips CD-Pro module which was built like a tank, so I’m hoping it will last a while longer. This one was also serviced and came with a warranty. Here it is, the Thorens TCD 2000:

j7gn1FI.jpg

dGrWxSL.jpg

7WBdBoK.jpg

There isn’t much plastic to be seen on it aside from the acrylic front panel. The enclosure is all metal, the knobs are metal, as are the footers and the polished platter. The Philips CD-Pro module is mounted on springs and you can adjust them to maintain level (visible with the on-board bubble level). And you have a nice little CD weight. Aesthetically it even matches a lot of my other equipment.

Used as a CD player with its on-board DAC it actually sounds ok, but it is much better when I just use it as a transport and feed the digital output to my external DAC. Pretty happy with this one!

Also, I managed to take the back off the console table in order to place my DAC on the centre shelf. To my surprise the console is actually still quite rigid, although I will be taking extra care if I ever move it.

INTK2BI.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom