My useless cart comparo Shure, Stanton, Ortofon

Bob in WI

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got one of the last Jico SAS for the Shure M95ED, got it mounted & did a short comparo. Played just one song from a used but not abused original BS&T LP. My observations;

Ortofon Black with OEM stylus - The best of the 3 as it should be. Air around the instruments. Background strings clean/ no mud. Brass very crisp, almost too bright but that could be my room which has some ugly HF reflections.

Shure M95ED w/ New (not broken in) Jico SAS - awful close to the Ortofon. Not super bright like my M97x/ SAS can be. Nice clarity & instruments are distinct. If anything, a little weak in the mids but that may correct with break in. Clearly a keeper.

Stanton 681EEE w/Phansteil 4822-DEE - more laid back, slightly veiled compared to the other 2. A touch muddy. Stronger in the mids, plenty of detail, strong & clear mid/ upper bass. Lowest bass maybe a bit recessed. This is staying on one of my decks because it is perfect for less than critical listening. Maybe "a little soft" is a good thing.

All of these had good HF response (cymbols, for example), did a nice job with the brass, voice was natural. All picked up old record crackles (this LP recently Spincleaned & vacuumed) especially between tracks.

I'm curious to see how the M95ED develops as it breaks in. Fun stuff.

Thanks for the comparison. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts as you continue to break in the M95Ed stylus.

:lurk:

I'm interested in the comparison, too, as I'm waiting for my SAS for the M97xE to arrive and still working bon what to pair with my 681EEE

You have a bright M97xE? That is not a normal review, highs are rolled off is much more typical. Check capacitive loading of each cartridge. Also room reflections, as you stated, could need taming.

For SAS, after break in tweak VTA to get fuller mids/bass. Remember to use very little anti skate.

Thanks for the review!

You have a bright M97xE? That is not a normal review, highs are rolled off is much more typical. Check capacitive loading of each cartridge. Also room reflections, as you stated, could need taming.

For SAS, after break in tweak VTA to get fuller mids/bass. Remember to use very little anti skate.

Thanks for the review!

I'm certain the set up could be better. I have messed with loading as my pre has multiple options.

Very cool comparison @Bob in WI , I would have preferred the Black and the M95ED myself! The 681 I always found the Top end to distort a bit and promote some sibilance!
A lot of that has to do with the mass of the stylus assembly and having a more stiff bearing. But I always loved its stance on your vinyl's because its a taller cartridge.
In terms of loading, what setting did you find the best results with the M95ED and the 681?

Not a fan of the Pfanstiehl ellipticals for any of the Stanton/Pickering lines. EVGs as a rule have been much more reliable if you can't get an OEM.

Never really been very engaged by the M95 series, although I'm not sure if it's the cart itself or the styli.

Very cool comparison @Bob in WI , I would have preferred the Black and the M95ED myself! The 681 I always found the Top end to distort a bit and promote some sibilance!
A lot of that has to do with the mass of the stylus assembly and having a more stiff bearing. But I always loved its stance on your vinyl's because its a taller cartridge.
In terms of loading, what setting did you find the best results with the M95ED and the 681?

If I knew what I was doing instead of playing around & drinking beer, I'd write settings down so I could duplicate them.

681EEE is my favorite. It really has some kind of soul the others don't express as well
... I don't know that I could pick a favorite but I know what you mean. Its very easy to listen to. Smoother somehow. My problem is I like them all which makes 4 carts (2 Shure, Ortofon & Stanton) for 2 decks which seems a little silly. I guess that unless something blows me away, I'll just continue to be silly. I can live with that.

"Soul" is a good descriptor of a 68x/XV-15 with the proper stylus. For years, it was the only thing I listened to (with either a D6800EEE-II-S or a D6807A). They can make just about any record sound good.

Other carts/styli shine with some records but not others. But those Stantons are just always warm and lovely.

Back
Top Bottom