My very first dumpster score! Altec and electro-voice!

Not a great as I initially had hoped but still not bad for nothing.

One of the 808-8as is pretty crusty. It seems to of had some water intrusion. I managed to extract the diaphragm and get the gap nice and clean although the inside has some white corrosion on the aluminum phase plug which doesn't seem to come out. Not easily anyway.

20170416_205031.jpg

20170416_205728.jpg

20170416_205900.jpg

The EV 1829s are in great shape. I was able to disassemble them and make certain that they clean and particle free. Even got A chance today to fire these up. These would make decent mid range drivers!

This one horn is all that's hooked up and sounds pretty Good! Can't believe these things go down to 150cps!

Still have yet to try the Altecs. One of the diaphragm screws snapped off so I'll have to extract and tap. I ordered cheap frams just to make sure they're going to function well, if so I'll spring for decent ones. I also soda blasted the sectorals and am gearing them up for powder coating.

Last edited:
OK, your first dumpster score. How many have you been in before this and do you just checkout random dumpsters or checkout dumpsters randomly?

This was from a recording studio about 45 mins from me that apparently had shut down. They had an add on Craigslist selling everything off. I caught the listing 3 days later and wrote asking if the Altecs were still available, they replied saying they ended up just tossing everything in the dumpster. I immediately jumped in my car and b-lined there. I still haven't gotten a chance to get back and pillage the bass horns but plan on it in the AM.

This was the first dumpster I've even looked in for anything.

This was from a recording studio about 45 mins from me that apparently had shut down. They had an add on Craigslist selling everything off. I caught the listing 3 days later and wrote asking if the Altecs were still available, they replied saying they ended up just tossing everything in the dumpster. I immediately jumped in my car and b-lined there. I still haven't gotten a chance to get back and pillage the bass horns but plan on it in the AM.

This was the first dumpster I've even looked in for anything.

Dear god you lucky lucky man.

Where's the line forming? :bye:

I was actually on the other side of the dumpster in a situation just like this. The theater I worked in upgraded the sound system over the Summer dead times. I helped toss a pantload of Altec VOTs and Altec multi cell horns. All with drivers. I wanted to keep it all, but I lived in an 800 sq ft house and could not afford to rent a storage room. I also was driving a Toyota Corolla so traveling that stuff was a no way situation. The green Altec amps hung around the theater for years until they finally got tossed. You got a great find due to your quick responses.

That Altec driver in your photo looks like it may have an original Altec aluminum diaphragm, doesn't have the diamond pattern that I see on so many of the after market ones.
The phase plug only comes out after the driver is taken apart but in doing that you collapse the magnetic field in the alnico magnet. From what I can tell, the phase plug is two zinc die castings pressed into each other and than pressed into the steel phase plug shell. It's finished machined and plated afterwards.
Clean it as best you can and check it with the cheap diaphragm. Just remember that the zinc center part of the phase plug is soft.

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom