My vintage pieces so far. (Going to need more money/room)

Continue to troll, er, patrol CL. It's OK to flipper pieces you don't want. Build up your audio profits and buy what you really want. The members will be more than happy to give you recommendations on best vintage to look for. A lot of us built up fantastic collections this way.
Thanks for the support. Great site with so much info.

Decided in May I wanted to "obtain" some vintage system components. Never had the kick butt audio system growing up, I always had to listen to others, mesmerized by the silver faceplates and glowing dials. Been doing a lot of reading here and hitting CL and EBay and FB on the lookout for "bargains". Made a few good buys and a couple of maybes. I have yet find the elusive 2.50 pristine unicorn.

So far.
First was 2238 Marantz with black faceplate, came with a cheap Magnavox 5 CD player and some huge Realistic PA speakers. Plan to sell the speakers and recoup almost all of my cost.

2 pair of CV D3's. Guy had 3 pair, all refoamed, cabinets 9+. My son drove 2 hours to pick them up, his reward was one set while I kept 2 pair. Always enjoyed CV's in college, and I know they are not everyone's fav. The guy sold audio equipment for 30+ years and has 3 outbuildings of vintage equipment, including a set of CV D7's he will sell me and possibly some D9's. He has stuff the AK upper audiophile guys talk about, way above my current learning curve.

Which leads to a Marantz 2245. Told the same guy I was looking Marantz, said he had one for sale with wooden case. Told son to look at it, make sure condition was very good, make an offer. Got the 2245, plays fine, but will need deep cleaning. Some lettering on the faceplate is off. Appears to be all original on the inside. Case needs some work on 2 joints.

Found very good deal, I thought, on Harmon KardonPM660 and TU615. Ran it thru the Realistic PA just for fun. WOW. It will crank so clearly.

Realistic STA 240, good price but the faceplate has lost lettering above volume and selection knobs. Playing right now! One of those just cause buys, kind of cool with analog and digital dial together.

Just got back with a Technics SL 1360 with Grace head shell and F9e cartridge and stylus. No extra spindles, I asked, but it works so smoothly otherwise. Cover has crack in one hinge and the rubber bump stops on the front were gone so the cover rubbed the body. Other than that it is nice. Only concern is the stylus. Looks like a slight angle to it. Will find someone local to look at it, or anyone here that can help.

Can someone identify the head shell model, I can't find it online. Generic Grace?

Going to have to pause buying here until I get "my" room cleaned out and equipment set up. Maybe. Every time I see some equipment I log in here and start searching/investigating. Great site and I have already learned so much/been reminded how little I know.

Pics added, sorry for the quality.

View attachment 943992View attachment 943987 View attachment 943989 View attachment 944005 View attachment 943996 View attachment 943997 View attachment 944000 View attachment 944001 View attachment 944003 View attachment 944004
Let me know what you think of the STA 240. I have one and it impressed me everyday. Is the Marantz an improvement over it or not so much? I find the STA 240 to have really natural sounding bass.

The 240 was here on the farm and playing thru some efficient Realistic PA speakers, the ones I obtained with the Marantz. Hard to say as it is far from an ideal listening environment here, but FM radio was fine and CD's thru a generic disc player had no problems. Nice balance on all music. I still have the 240, boxed up currently, as I work on clearing some space at home. It's a constant struggle now, I keep adding/hiding pieces. Added a Marantz 2220, some Yamaha NS-200 Ma's, an inherited Pioneer PL-7, a dumpster rescue Sansui QS-500, and a Tandberg 2040. Add on a couple boxes of vinyl, cassettes, and cd's. :)

Back
Top Bottom