My vintage system

Mrvintage

I’m currently putting together my vintage system. I have 3 Yamaha P2200 amps which I purchased new in 1978 and used for my DJ business until 2013 driving my Cerwin Vega PD 18s. Now I’m turning it into my home system. I’m going to use a Nikki Beta 50 pre-amp which I purchased new in the early eighties, I have a Technics 1200 MK1 turntable and a Denon DN-D 4000 CD plat form and a Teac X 1000R reel to reel and I’ll be driving a set of JBL 3648 bass bins (2) 15” and matching 2446H horn drivers and JBL 8340 surround speakers from a Ciniplex theatre that was being torn down. I bought the speakers off kijiji for $800.00. I know they’re huge but I couldn’t pass up the deal. I will be using a DBX 260 Drive rack for my crossover.

Sounds like a serious system. Photos when you get it together?
Yes I will post pics soon. I’ve been collecting audio equipment for 30 plus years my wife says it’s a sickness. I also have a rare Bose system. Bose 1801 power amp it’s a brute almost 120lbs and matching 4401 pre-amp and 901 MKIV speakers and multiple turntables from dual, pioneer, Sony, and JVC. Axiom and klipsch Heresy speakers

In my workshop I have a Marantz 1152DC integrated amp and matching 112 tuner and Sony CD player matched up to a pair of sound dinamic S15 speakers.

In my workshop I have a Marantz 1152DC integrated amp and matching 112 tuner and Sony CD player matched up to a pair of sound dinamic S15 speakers.
I too have this sickness you speak of! But I’m not looking for a cure lol

Welcome to AK, Mrsvintage. (That's an interesting name. Are you a man or a woman?)

Your JBLs should sound great in that role. Do you plan to pretty them up for use within your home? Looking at the bass bin I was envisioning it with an acre of nicely-finished veneer, and some cool grills to keep pets and kids away from the woofers.

What kind of up-chain equipment will you be using with them? I'm assuming you will be bi-amping them and using active eq. Keep us up to date on the progress. We all love watching systems as they evolve, and lots of pics are very helpful.

GeeDeeEmm

Good morning GeeDeeEmm

Yes I’m a guy it was a typo when I put my membership together and didn’t notice until it was to late. I will have to back and edit my profile. I will be putting a cherry Cabrera finish on the bass bins and making a box for the horn drivers. I will be bi-amping the bass bins with 2 of my Yamaha P 2200 and use the third P 2200 to drive the horns. I have a Nikko Beta 30 pre-amp for volume and tone controls. I will be using the DBX 260 Drive Rack for my cross over and eq. I also have a Craftsman sound shaper two eq if I need to add more and finer sound control. This will be my winter project. I live in northern Ontario in a snow belt area so this will be a way to keep me from going crazy and getting shack fever lol. We usually receive between 12-17 feet of snow over the course of the winter.

wow!
with that stuff there wont be no sno on the roof :)
what part of N Ont?
i'm in the Lakehead

Good morning GeeDeeEmm

I will be putting a cherry Cabrera finish on the bass bins and making a box for the horn drivers.

That should be beautiful. Be sure to post your finish process so we can all enjoy the ride.

You can ask one of the moderators to correct your name for you.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks GeeDeeEmm

I will take lots of photos and when complete I’m going to post the system on YouTube so everyone can enjoy this project

Shane

Hey Orson

I’m in Parry Sound the home of Bobby Orr. We’re located on the Georgian Bay
Between Honeyharbour and Britt Ontario. I’m hoping to at least put the system together in the next few weeks to start to enjoy the JBL’s. I’m picking up the cherry veneer to cover the bass bins in two weeks. I’m still not sure what I will be choosing for my crossover settings with the DBX 260 Drive Rack if anyone here can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Shane

Here are a couple pics of two out of three my Vintage Yamaha P 2200 Circa 1978 Power amps I'm going to be using to drive the JBL bass bins.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom