My vinyl system

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by johnd393, Jun 11, 2017.

1. johnd393

johnd393 New Member

Audio has taken a back seat to video for a few years. Vinyl LPs were in boxes scattered into what ever storage space was available. A 100 CD changer on the living room AV system goes unused. A new Ikea shelf unit has gathered all the vinyl into one place.
    A BIC 60Z turntable with a Shure/Realistic R1000EDT has found itself a space on top of the Ikea shelf. A pair of Pioneer CS99As went into service.
    I tried several receiver/amps: Pioneer SX201, Sony STR-AV320, Kenwood KR-V6070. With these, with some variation, the bass seemed a little flat at modest volume. A just arrived auction buy, MCS 2270 Amp has a more pleasing, fuller, sound. I don't get the different sound from these things. They all have, specs that seem good enough, phono inputs, loudness buttons, tone controls and at least 35 watts. The Kenwood is 100 Watts. There was sometimes some low freq feedback between the speakers and the turntable, only with the MCS, wihich, I think, indicates those low freqs are not passing through the other amps. I like the MCS sound best. but I'm thinking I ought to have a more powerful amp. Something just feels right about not having unneeded theater stuff and a tuner in the box.
    My equipment choices are dependent on whats available from bargain sources. There is a 150 watt Mitsubishi integrated amp available cheap, if I want to drive 60 miles to pick it up.

Nightwisher and Ds2000 like this.
  2. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

welcome to AK................

3. Marine0811

Marine0811 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome! I'd make the trip

4. johnd393

johnd393 New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I don't know why I seem to be flagged as a new user. My old emails confirm membership validated Dec 2008. I've not posted anything for a while, but I'm here looking from time to time.

I just won the bid for a Pioneer SA-1050. It's kinda ugly but we'll see how it sounds. Waiting for pickup info from seller.

5. johnd393

johnd393 New Member

The Pioneer SA-1050 is here. Cleaned it up, blew it out with compressed air. It's got discrete transistors for output. The Loudness button has little, if any, effect. I might still prefer the sound of the MCS amp. A couple segments of the LED power meter are out on one channel. I'll have to take another look inside to see it that can be fixed. It was only $20 and the meter is not so important.

6. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Nice.. Had an SA9900/TX9500ii once... Fabulous when it worked...lol Cheers from the North...

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pictures bro..... otherwise it is a waste of a click. know what I mean?

Nightwisher likes this.
  8. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

Agreed.

9. johnd393

johnd393 New Member

Not sure how to add pictures. I uploaded some files.

Attached Files:

Nightwisher likes this.
  10. zenarrrow

zenarrrow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice, I believe you can just click and drag a photo, then select full image. Thanks for the Pics.

11. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Love the Pioneer CS-99A's

12. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict Subscriber

Welcome, enjoy the Music!

13. Bubbalouie

Bubbalouie Active Member

You have a nice setup. Enjoy the music!!