my wall of sound

davestradamu

Swimming in Sound
Hello! I have been a lurker around here for some time, and have enjoyed looking at everyone's system pictures in this thread! My system is finally sounding closer to what I want, and I am really enjoying it now!

I just picked up the Maggies yesterday, and they sound wonderful! They have a new capacitor and the panels have been re-done.

:banana: No banana peels or green/brown glue! :banana:

I am guessing they will last another 10 years or so! Or untill upgraditis strikes again....

Sources:
Technics SL-1200 mkII w/ Grado Green
PC loaded with Foobar and some good 24bit 96khz FLAC audio
Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC

Amplification:
Yaqin p307 Preamplifier and Phono Stage
Alesis RA150 Reference Amplifier

Sound Wave Generators:
Magnepan SMGa
JBL 10" subwoofer
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser CX280

My next upgrade will be a new sub. My girlfriend watched as I helped her brother set up a multichannel theater room with an Emotova 10". She LOVES that sub. Looks like that will be on my list pretty soon. She even offered to pay half. :D

maggies1.jpg

maggies3.jpg

roomview.jpg

wallb.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pictures. Imageshack was not being nice to me this morning!

Cheers!

Nice setup.! I am considering adding Maggies to my stable. How do you like yours, and do you feel they NEED a sub? I've heard that subs don't always dovetail with stats very well.

i have only put 3 hours on the maggies so far but they sound AMAZING! very transparent and the sound stage is HUGE! i still need to play around with the placement and tweeters (in or out) alignment. My room is fairly small but i do require a sub. SMGa's only extend to 50hz but do it pretty well for easy music. my sub SUCKS! but its turned down enough to not be offensive. the boom of hard rock or techno is lost on these babies. but ella fitz and the fleet foxes never sounded this good to me!

the maggies sound like i took a heavy blanket off of my old speakers and put them inside of my head! seems like these things have a specific sweet spot too. more focused than other speakers i have heard. i have a 3 foot space on my couch that is just right. :thmbsp:

i will be hitting the Mags with pink noise tonight in order to tweak EQ.

thanks for the responses!

happy listening!

Oooooooo Maggies! Ever since I heard a pair of SMGs I've sort of lusted after them. I've never heard a speaker system for less than second-mortgage prices reproduce piano near as realistically.

Nice setup!
BTW, Amazon has a $400 Boston Acoustics 10"HO sub on sale now for $100, however it is in white.

i like this forum because i left out every video related item in my system, and nobody cared!! i have a bluray disc player and a DVR, but i find myself listening to music 75% (or more) of the time i spend with my system on.

sometimes i find more entertainment with my eyes closed....

thanks for the kind words! one day i will have a system that is truly impressive, but i am enjoying experiencing different components in order to find out what i really want to live with....

I have yet to see an unkind word on the threads in the Member's systems forum. At least not any that were serious. That said, do the Maggies cancel the gravity in the room and allow the 2nd and 4th pic?
JK, very nice looking setup and it bet it sounds right.

I have yet to see an unkind word on the threads in the Member's systems forum. At least not any that were serious. That said, do the Maggies cancel the gravity in the room and allow the 2nd and 4th pic?
JK, very nice looking setup and it bet it sounds right.

Haha, was wondering about it too. :D

i am not sure, if it was the west coase IPA, but after the maggies arrived things do seem a little strange around here.... plus imageshack was being ugly about rotating my picture.

Back
Top Bottom