1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

my yamaha rx-v2500 wont detect more than 2 channels on new roku

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by bobinaz, Sep 10, 2018.

1. bobinaz

bobinaz Active Member

My rx-v2500 will detect 5 channels when playing a blu-ray or dvd disk. It will also detect 5 channels from an on-line network channel from my OTA tv antenna. I had an old roku box that I believe was limited to just 2 channel stereo. Has anyone here got their "older" AVR rcvr to detect 5 channels from any new streaming devices? I am using the optical output on the roku box connected to one of the optical inputs on the 2500.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

The two Roku express's I have are both connected via HDMI. One is connected to a Yamaha HT receiver. The other is connected to am Emotiva pre/pro. On some of the channels I had to manually select 5.1 for audio. At $30 the Roku Express is IMO a great buy.

3. PianotunerNJ

PianotunerNJ Active Member

Probably a roku adjustment but it’s possible the optical only does stereo. I’m surprised it has optical. Considering how literally every consumer grade A/V product seems to be leaning toward an all HDMI world, and it’s the only effective way to link stuff together, video switching, time aligned audio, etc. it’s 10 years past time to upgrade (modernize). I went to an HDMI receiver to make my first HDTV watchable considering how the video processing lagged way behind the audio, I can’t stand that. And I wasn’t willing to send audio through the TV and degrade/manipulate the source. My early HDTV wouldn’t pass surround through so wasn’t an option anyway.

4. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

It might be a software update issue , but I agree with others that you may have to go HDMI. I had to have a software update and use HDMI. When I lost my tone controls I said forget it. Went back to the old software and dumped Roku.