AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My Yamaha/JBL dedicated music system...

C45 preamp
P2250 power amp
CDX530 CD player
T1 Tuner
JBL L80t3 speakers

I hope to upgrade the CD player and interconnects/cabling over time but it sounds very clean to me now. The C45 preamp may be BOTL but I love it. As for the P2250...I've never heard the fan though I know it's turning. Although none of these individual pieces are the cats meow, together they are fantastic with the JBLs.

There's about a foot of space behind the JBLs at port height. I may try to pull them out a smidge further and possibly fabricate an acoustical panel for the wall behind them.

Though the Denon/Sony/BA home theater stuff is mixed in with this conglomerate, the two systems are entirely separate. Thanks are due to my wife for allowing me to have all this stuff on display in the living room. I really appreciate her tolerance of my audio efforts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 619
While individually many of my well used Yamaha units look like something the cat dragged in, yet, meow, meow, to no one here's surprise they look and sound great together. Your system looks wonderful. Yamaha knew how to do synergy. I often set up BOLT units (I have a C45 just waiting for a good home) for friends. I am pleasantly surprised by how good they sound.

I love the marble (or faux marble?) shelves. These units thrive on stability, maybe that is why your wife is so tolerant. Smart women.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really enjoy seeing all your systems posted here and visit this forum often to gaze in wonder at how they must sound.

The table is just a faux marble coffee table from Nebraska Furniture Mart with a piece of wood set atop the bottom wire rack to support the power amp. I bought a cheap monitor riser on Amazon to elevate the media players and center channel speaker. The Yamaha tuner/preamp wouldn't fit under the middle support rail so they're pulled out a bit. I pulled the HT receiver out to match which is good for it as it runs warm anyway.

as for Yamaha...They do indeed seem to have synergy. And...I've yet to be disappointed in any Yamaha 2-channel gear I've owned over the years.

update

I must apologize in advance if I don't make sense as I've had too many beers...anyhoo...

I made some changes in my system. Gone are the T-1 tuner (sold off) and the C45 pre amp (reassigned to another room). Taking their places...

TX-350 tuner...as I rarely listen to radio, the T-1 just didn't seem necessary. Now I have a decent digital tuner with presets to quickly get to the station I need which is usually an AM station for sports anyway so this is a good solution for me. I'm sure the T-1 is better...just not for me.

C-80 pre amp...this appears to be a significant upgrade. The first CD I played was Ella Fitzgerald and I swear I immediately heard drum beat decay that was not there before. It was a stunning audio moment actually. Thence I've been listening to several CDs and everything sounds fantastic. My hearing have adapted now so i'm not able to sense the improvement so dramatically but I am satisfied to know, subliminally at least, it is there.

Also, as noted in another older thread, the P-2250 power amp is now bridged with a second P-2250...big improvement here too.

I had the C-80 in my basement for some time due to issues with the front switch panel. That was resolved this week as I was able to acquire a non functioning donor unit. I just traded one front panel for another...now it's in the main rig and I'm loving it. I did have to remove the DSBG and replace components in contact with it but that was easy (and SOP now for any black Yamaha component I drag home). Good thing I did as some leads were seriously corroded and split as soon as I touched them so they were facing imminent failure.

One complaint about the C-80 though...what's with the plastic sidewalls?...seems cheesy and cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 244
Very nice upgrades, particularly the preamp as that was the weak link in your system.

I like the C-80 parametric tone control more than I thought I would. It is possible, just on the threshold of my hearing capability, to discern the finite adjustments. I usually run with tone defeat but occasionally the JBL tweeters are too hot and need to be disciplined for my ear comfort. I'm able to trim tone back at just the right frequency as if I had an actual equalizer patched in. I'm not convinced I can perceive the bandwidth adjustment yet but I'll keep fiddling with it across multiple music selections and maybe I'll eventually hear it as my discern-ability adapts.

The C-45 is a good pre...and I have use for it...but the C-80 does more a little bit better. And I have a parts unit for the C-80 too!

The best thing about new acquisitions is rediscovering the music. Happy here.

um...i'm a little out of control this weekend

I pulled the bridged Yamaha power amps (~500wpc) and replaced with a single Soundcraftsmen Pro Power Four (~200wpc). Still plenty of power and sounds better than a single P-2250. One of the P-2250s was getting warm in the bridged configuration causing the fan to kick into high speed. As I recall, it only did that once prior to bridging. I think I'll leave it this way for a while...at least until I can find a cheap P-2200/2201 or something similar without a fan. For now though, it sounds fine to me... and the Soundcraftsmen has a fun light show to stare at in a mindless stupor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 157
update....
I sold my JBL L80t3 to a good friend. They are replaced with DCM TF600. I loved the JBLs but the DCM sound great too and the tweeters, while never sounding veiled at all, do not hurt my ears like the titanium tweeters on the JBLs occasionally would do. The bass is not as tight on the 600s but I can handle that with my preamp. I guess it's a sideways step, but I've now lived with the TF600 for a few months and I have no regrets. I've never had any ear fatigue at all and they readily take all the power my Soundcraftsmen amp can deliver. My wife has even complimented the sound of this current configuration.

I finally got my hands on a reasonably priced Yamaha P-2201. It purportedly has a channel out but I haven't had time to look into it yet. When and If I can get it fixed, it will replace the Soundcraftsmen Pro Power 4 which has served me very well.

IMG_7968.JPG
ok so im a little excited. i have replaced my DCM TF600 with Infinity RS-iiia. Big Infinities have always been a dream of mine since my first speakers back in 1980 (RS10b). I refoamed all 4 woofers and recapped the crossovers. Sounds freaking amazing.

second photo left to right
Boston Acoustcs VR30
Infinity RS-IIIa
DCM TF-600

Living the dream!

IMG_7973.JPG

thanks all. its been a long process to get my system to this point. i went through a pioneer and jbl phase for a few years before.

Back
Top Bottom