Mysterious Tar filled multicell horn...Altec??

Dummydoctor

Looking for assistance from the Altec experts/gurus in identifying a mysterious tar filled 12 cell(2x6) multicell horn per attached photos. .info as follows:

- tar filled
- 2 x 6 cells
- LWH (L = 17 1/2", W = 40 1/2", H = 12 3/4")
- weight 74lbs
- brackets only on one side of horn
- no additional internal bracket support

Attached to this horn was a brass adapter stamped with "30165", the other side was stamped "T1503-F" and below it stamped "T1803-F". I inserted a 30210 aluminium adapter which fits perfectly(see photo).

DSC01300.JPG DSC01298.JPG DSC01299.JPG
Having spent a lot of time searching the net only resulted in scarce data but I learned more about Altec...the closest 12 cell(2x6) is the Altec 1203B from 1940's catalog but definitely not a Stephens Tru-sonic.
The dimensions/weight of the ?horn do not match those of the catalog though catalog had different #'s:
Lansing catalog: LWH = 26" x 43 1/2" x 16", 120 lbs
1943 catalog: LWH = 27" x 43" x 18", 152 lbs
1947 catalog: LWH = 36" x 43" x 18", 152 lbs

Looking forward to your feedback.

You could try contacting Steve Schell for more info

Early(as in late 1930's) 1203.

It's not tar filled, or sand filled, the lack of weight clearly shows you that.

It might be stuffed with horse hair, excelsior, wool for damping, or nothing at all.

The 30165 bronze throat ID's it clearly as early Altec.

Never forget the one hard and fast rule in all things audio - design and specifications subject to change without notice

bowtie427ss,

Thanks for your reply..is 30165 bronze or brass?

Apologies to all for the miscommunication on the 30165 brass throat adapter. I should have mentioned it was the wrong size for this horn as only two screws bolted to the throat, as such, I replaced it with an aluminium 30210 adapter which is the right fit.

I can't be sure exactly what alloy it should be, but the old timers in the hifi hobby always called them "bronze".

Even though the newer style aluminum adapter is a correct fit, i would opine that the light weight indicates the horn is an early version from before the period where they were tar filled.

Bowtie427ss, thanks for the additional info.

My searches since on "Pre 1942" and "1955 to 1962" have provided no further details, however, it would be helpful if someone could provide a link related to the Altec catalogs from 1955 to 1962 as they are not part of the "Altec Catalogs" at the Lansing Heritage site...I won't give up searching!!..

BUT no plan to lift up that bad boy(74lbs!!), hooked up to an 288-16G resting on top of an 825 for a listen.

Great Plains Audio would be a good place to start. My buddy Bill out there is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Altec gear. Just like Bowtie, 427 and Hardy.

Back
Top Bottom