Mystery Cartridge / Stylus - Can Somone Identify?

polaris26

I just bought a Pioneer PL-530 TT and it came with this cart / stylus but I do not think it is OEM. There is a logo on the front with a sort of target or cross-hairs design with what looks like a letter 'C' shape surrounding it. I will try to attach photos.

Regards,
Dave P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010009.JPG

Thanks everyone - I was originally planning on getting a new cart for this TT, but actually I think this 'Compass' cart doesn't sound too bad, although I don't know how many hours are on the stylus..

Regards,
Dave

SA-708: That's not quite correct, as the AT-Ps with that body type all had fat pro/DJ style cantilevers, while the AT-Xes all had the regular hifi cantilevers.

Dave: What you have in form of that ATX5E practically is a somewhat modified AT70 family body with a needle type that's on level with an ATN12XE or AT120E(b) in terms of technical quality - so that actually already is a pretty decent cartridge, and the next step upwards in AT's current line-up would be an AT440MLb or respectively the new VM540ML. So if you like it, it might be a good idea to grab one or two (or three... ;)) original replacement needles - I think Gary (Thevoiceofmusic) should still offer these in Pfanstiehl-repacked version (should be the 205-DET) for roundabout 40 bucks. *checking* Yup, US$ 42, to be exact - that's pretty attractive, if you compare that to the prices for a current ATN120Eb and even more so the new VMN30EN.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Manfred, do the ATP/ATX styli fit the AT70 body, or any other more-common A-T bodies?

Walt: As far as I'm aware, the AT70 (or AT7x/77x) family and the ATX/(this type of)ATP family bodies and needles are incompatible either way due to the mounting frames and needles being a bit different. I think the mounting frame of the latter is slightly wider and the step near the ears with the mounting holes is closer to these than on the AT70 family mounting frame for the somewhat longer upper part of the side-walls of the needles. And there also isn't that additional "triangle hooks into triangle" design the AT70 family mounting frame and needles sport in that area.

Not sure, whether any other AT bodies would work instead. The only other really close relatives to the AT70 family I'm aware of would be the Signet H-Ten and H-Twelve (including that one Yamaha OEM variant), but the bodies and needles of these obviously also are too differently shaped to be compatible. However, maybe an AT371x family body (probably more frequently to be found in form of the Akai PC-90/95) would work. Alternatively one could of course remove the mounting frame from an AT70 family body and replace it with a DIY mounting bar - should be fixed by screw below the "number plate" on the top...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Oh, and I fear this will be my 5000th post on AK. Maybe I should retire... ;)

Thanks for the info. Do you have specifications for the ATP/ATX bodies? I've seen a retailer list it as 600mH, but can't confirm it.

Walt: Yup, 600 mH for the ATP-1/2/3 - don't know whether that also applies to the ATXes, though. The AT120-family-based ATP-4/5/6 are 630 mH.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Just got in an ATX1 body-- the channels average 630mH @ 800Hz.

UPDATE: The NOS ATXN5 sounds good; am going to try the EVG generic version from tVOM.

The interesting news (to me) is A-T's claim that the now-discontinued ATP2XN cartridge, which was included with the AT LP120 USB turntable, has a laminated core.

Last edited:
wualta, did you ever end up grabbing an EVG generic? I have an ATP-3 complete with stylus (with a questionable history) however would like to "upgrade" from the fat cantilever and relatively heavy tracking force.

Yes, I did, the EVG-Japan 4205-DET. My sample wasn't made very carefully, so I can't be sure if they're all like that or if mine was one of those late-Friday-afternoon jobs. It's okay, but the originals are better. There's one currently on eBay for just under $50 shipped, not much more than I paid for a NOS ATX-N5 a few months ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom