Mystery Deck for your guesses.

cabinover

Dazed and Confused
OK folks, anybody want to take a stab at this one? It's a player complete with it's own amp and speakers and records also. Looks like a suitcase when it's all done up. Good luck, Bob

Hint

The deck is solid state and I would guess late 50's, early 60's on this. It says 4 track solid state on the head cover.

Nope.
Here's another hint, it wears the same badge as a few old radios that I have seen on the bay now and them, mostly bakelite.

It kind of looks like an old Webcor from Montgomery Wards, which also sold "Airline" bakelite radios.

vin64MontWardWebcor.jpg

Last edited:
Great ad.
Pricing on the tape, $1.08 to $2.92 each based on a lot of five (5)!
Thanks for sharing the ad.
I know this is off the mark but I would guess a Sony just from the gray color and the way the top is connected to the unit.
Have a good weekend.

One more hint before I let the cat out

This deck's maker starts with A and has 5 letters. It may very well be made by another company, I'm not sure. I'll let it out in the morning if noone has guessed it yet. Happy Day, Bob

Ampex. That's what it is. I have one that looks similar. Mine is a 900 series and needs repair so I am not sure how it sounds.

It looks to me like a VM deck a friend of mine once owned. Don't know who the OEM was. Since you say the maker starts with "A" all I can think of is AMPEX, who made lots of decks for other brands.

It does have a strong resemblence to an old REVOX, so I can see that as a very good guess. I don't see much resemblence to a Sony or Tandberg.

And the winner is......

I stumped all of you! Don't feel bad, I'd never heard of this company until I happened upon this r2r in a pawn shop either. It's an Arvin. No model number anywhere to be seen and the only other thing I can tell you is that it's a one motor deck with belts and 12V capable too. It works although the belts are tired and have there memory built in so W&F is scary. I'm going to recap this one and see if I can find belts for it as well as get the hum out of one channel. Just thought I'd share it with all of you that enjoy seeing different things now and then. Happy Day, Bob

Re: And the winner is......

Originally posted by cabinover
I stumped all of you! Don't feel bad, I'd never heard of this company until I happened upon this r2r in a pawn shop either. It's an Arvin. No model number anywhere to be seen and the only other thing I can tell you is that it's a one motor deck with belts and 12V capable too. It works although the belts are tired and have there memory built in so W&F is scary. I'm going to recap this one and see if I can find belts for it as well as get the hum out of one channel. Just thought I'd share it with all of you that enjoy seeing different things now and then. Happy Day, Bob

My grandma had a mini reel deck by Arvin and exchanged audio letters with her son in Vietnam. Not understanding what Vietnam was, the grandkids used it as a toy and it was toast by 1976. I kept one of the Scotch tape reel cases and kept coins in it. I do not know where THAT might be at the moment.:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom