Mystery Odor Question

Teddy White

The other day, I noticed a distinctly chemical odor coming from my Technics SA-202. Not trusting my own deficient sense of smell, I asked my wife, who not only confirmed it, but thought it smelled like bleach. At no time did the unit feel hot.

I did turn it on today (and, of course, couldn't smell a thing) but obviously I'm leery of using it for any length of time.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome, thanks.

Definitely, it's an electrolytic capacitor venting. It smells like a cross between cat-wee and fish.

Time to crack it open and track down the culprit/s unless you want loungeroom fireworks later.

Inspect the main filter caps underneath and power supply caps, along with all power amp caps on the amp boards first. Use your nose (with the power off) to find the issue.

The other day, I noticed a distinctly chemical odor coming from my Technics SA-202. Not trusting my own deficient sense of smell, I asked my wife, who not only confirmed it, but thought it smelled like bleach. At no time did the unit feel hot.

I did turn it on today (and, of course, couldn't smell a thing) but obviously I'm leery of using it for any length of time.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome, thanks.

That's the smell of quality!

Possibly look for "bulged tops" and/or white leakage at the bottom of the capacitors.

NOTE! Some of the larger capacitors have "plastic" inserts on the top and with the heat of the receiver/amp. they may look "bulged" IGNORE THIS! (Pressing down on them is "doe-able")

The bulging in in the TOP of the METAL can.

Mark T. :music:

A quick follow-up: the Technics has been serviced (I found a technician about 10 miles from my house who diagnosed the problem & gave me an estimate within 24 hours; the work was completed in 5 days. No surprises.) & now works perfectly well. I am very happy with the sound.

I've found that our noses are one of our best tools because we usually smell it before seeing it and can stop it before it's too late.doubleup.gif

Back
Top Bottom