N00b question - new member - Marantz servicing?

dynarider

Hey there everyone!

Just found this Forum doing some research on my "new" Marantz receiver - I once owned a 4230 (which was sold off by my ex-girlfriend when we broke up) - my brother still has his 4240 he got back in '75 - I went and bought a 4300 off EBay for $300 - yeah, it has issues.

While it powered up and ran OK initially, I noticed that the right side (as you face the unit) seemed overly warm - put a computer power supply fan on it to cool it down. After a week or so, I noticed it would sporadically make a popping sound (seemed like both channels) - finally it made the same sound and lights out. I checked out the line fuse and it had blown - funny thing is, it was only a 3 amp fuse - what is the proper rating on this - I think it is 8 amp?

I was worried the original owner put the 3 amp in as a safeguard insuring it wouldn't burn down do to speak. I am NOT a good tech and cannot do the repair on this receiver; can anyone point me in the direction of anyone who might service my 4300 - I'm in Kenosha, WI and am willing to ship to anyone proficient in restoration - hope there is someone out there with reasonable rates - not finding much around here at any rate, hence my post!

Many thanks - hope to be a more active participant on this Forum! :thmbsp:

Chris

Well, first off, welcome to AK! Thats a fine receiver you've got there.. Beleive it or not, your in luck. There are alot of good techs in the midwest region close you there, I'm sure one will chime in shortly. You've found a great forum, stick around for a while.

I had a 4300 (which has since gone to another loving home) that was worked on by EchoWars. It was a stellar performer, and benched at 185 wpc before clipping, against a rated 100 wpc, in stereo. And it sounded amazing!

merrylander is another fine tech, whose work on a Yamaha CR-2020 I have enjoyed. There are other techs on the board, but I have no personal experience with them. Check the Feedback forum for satisfied customers.

...and Welcome to AK!

Back
Top Bottom