NAB adaptors that don't suck?

I want to know who makes those metal aluminum or steel reel holders that are available in different colours,the ones with the holes around the circumference. They would look boss on all three of my Teacs. Please tell me the make, model, and price........additionally. where I may purchase them.

Thanks.

Philip.

I have a Sony 755 Bought new in '79, c/w the optional reel adapters.
They work great, never had an issue. They lock to the spindle and then you tighten the outer collar to grip the reel itself.

The spacer is only required when using metal reels. If you use plastic reels you must remove the spacer to keep the tape path in correct alignment.

nascar03

On my TC-758 I use mostly plastic reels (3M / Scotch and professional broadcast reels from NPR) and it must have the spacers or the reel won't lock securely and the tape will rub and curl on the tensioner. There may be some thicker plastic reels out there that don't need them, I dunno.

I want to know who makes those metal aluminum or steel reel holders that are available in different colours,the ones with the holes around the circumference. They would look boss on all three of my Teacs. Please tell me the make, model, and price........additionally. where I may purchase them.

Thanks.

Philip.

If it's the ones i think you're talking about, they are Revox/Struder adapters. They come in two parts. The NAB hub adapters themselves, and the fancy metal part you are talking about. As a set they're around 140 dollars over on the bay.

Where can I get some Nab hub adapters for my Crown

Hello and thanks for posting the information.

I just acquired a Crown 724 reel to reel. It has the screw on out part of the adapter but not the hub itself. Where can I purchase the entire hub adapter?

Thanks for your help

Jim

Crown RTR decks were often found in the home stereo environment, but were used much more in a professional or commercial setting. The functionality of the NAB adapter hubs had to do several things. They had to hold the reel securely enough to prevent the loss of a reel during fast forward or rewinding operations as well as be quick and easy to use. You wouldn't want to spend much time fumbling with a reel adapter when changing reels if recording live, or during broadcast playback.

As the proud owner of several Pioneer RT series machines, I am very familiar with the hub adapter operation with the PP-220 and PP-220A adapters. Although they look nice and mine work well, it is more complex than with the Crown adapters.

The earlier style Crown reel adapter, shown here without a reel attached, is a simple to operate device. The center hub acts as the tensioner on a spring that can be tightened and loosened in order to increase or decrease the circumference of the spring.

MVC-006F.jpg

As the center hub is "backed off", the tension on the spring results in a decrease of the spring circumference, which allows you to easily slip the reel onto the hub. After the reel is placed on the hub, you tighten the center hub which spreads the spring out and secures the reel.

MVC-007F.jpg

There was a later style hub adapter that was even easier and quicker to use. It utilizes 3 spring-lock tabs to secure the reel.

MVC-003F.jpg

You simply place the reel onto the hub in the correct position and press the hub down until you overcome the spring tension on the tabs and the reel drops into the correct position and is locked into place as the spring tabs return to their normal position, securing the reel.

MVC-002F-5.jpg

Whatever works on an 800 series Crown transport will work on a 700 series Crown transport.

Can you post a picture of your reel tables?

Do I understand that your reel tables have center shafts that have internal threads? (they should)

I hate to tell you this, but Crown adapters have been out of production for over 35 years. :sigh: Rarely, they show up on eBay, and usually go for big $$!

You might be able to adapt some other types of adapters to work on your Crown.

Crown SS 724 Reel hubs

Yeah, I know that's why I am doing a frantic search. Not sure I know how to do the pictures but here goes.

Attachments

• MyCrown.jpg
    MyCrown.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Crown reel to reel 029.jpg
    Crown reel to reel 029.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Crown reel to reel 030.jpg
    Crown reel to reel 030.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 49
Adapt a TZ-612 for use on a Crown

That's interesting, my reel tables on all of my 800 transports have a thin layer of what appears to be cork, like a thin spacer.

I have looked at my reel tables and considered what other options might be available if one did not have either of the two Crown NAB hub adapters that I posted pictures of.

Here is what I believe I would do if I were missing a set of hub adapters. Look at the Teac TZ-612 hub adapters. Take a good look at the third picture. You will notice that on the rear of the adapter, you can see a slight depression at about 0830 on the reel adapter to the left. That depression lines up perfectly with the locating pin on a Crown reel table.

I would purchase a set of the Teac TZ-612 adapters, drill a hole through the adapter at the location of the slight depression, and then, using a sleeve, screw them down on the center shaft.

Then you will have good adapters. The Teac TZ-612 rotates CCW to line up the inner tabs with the outer tabs. You place the NAB reel on the hub and than rotate the outer ring CW to tighten down the reel.

I checked this out (with the exception of drilling the holes) with one of my 800 transports and a Teac TZ-612 adapter, as I have both Crown and Teac decks (plus a few Pioneers as well).

The Teac TZ-612 adapters aren't cheap, but are available on eBay at fair prices, much less than when the Crown adapters appear, which is rare! Check out this past sale on the famous auction site, search for item # 280628309488. A single adapter went for $56.00, and it was the only one listed, no mate in sight! :sigh:

Attachments

• Teac TZ-612 A.jpg
    Teac TZ-612 A.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 54
  • Teac TZ-612 B.jpg
    Teac TZ-612 B.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Teac TZ-612 C.jpg
    Teac TZ-612 C.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for the help, you have been a big help. I will check them out.

Jim

That's interesting, my reel tables on all of my 800 transports have a thin layer of what appears to be cork, like a thin spacer.

I have looked at my reel tables and considered what other options might be available if one did not have either of the two Crown NAB hub adapters that I posted pictures of.

Here is what I believe I would do if I were missing a set of hub adapters. Look at the Teac TZ-612 hub adapters. Take a good look at the third picture. You will notice that on the rear of the adapter, you can see a slight depression at about 0830 on the reel adapter to the left. That depression lines up perfectly with the locating pin on a Crown reel table.

I would purchase a set of the Teac TZ-612 adapters, drill a hole through the adapter at the location of the slight depression, and then, using a sleeve, screw them down on the center shaft.

Then you will have good adapters. The Teac TZ-612 rotates CCW to line up the inner tabs with the outer tabs. You place the NAB reel on the hub and than rotate the outer ring CW to tighten down the reel.

I checked this out (with the exception of drilling the holes) with one of my 800 transports and a Teac TZ-612 adapter, as I have both Crown and Teac decks (plus a few Pioneers as well).

The Teac TZ-612 adapters aren't cheap, but are available on eBay at fair prices, much less than when the Crown adapters appear, which is rare! Check out this past sale on the famous auction site, search for item # 280628309488. A single adapter went for $56.00, and it was the only one listed, no mate in sight! :sigh:

Crown reel to reel owners manual.

While I search and try to buy the reel adapters that you suggested, do you have any idea where I can get an ownerns manual for a Crown tape deck. An Sx 724 would be ideal but any one an 800 series of whatever would be fine.

Thanks again

Jim

You can purchase one from Mr. Haynes. I will post again later and provide you with his phone number.

Last edited:
Mr. Haynes

Mr. Haynes phone number is 574-534-9122.

I purchased a Crown Instruction and Service Manual from Mr. Haynes a little while back and it cost me $28.00. I do not know if the price is still the same. You need to specify that you need a manual for a CX800 series, as the manual will have a section for the CX electronics and a section for the 800 series transport.

The manuals are reproductions, but are of good quality and IMHO, well worth the price!

Please be very courteous to Mr. Haynes. He is a fine gentleman and a senior citizen. He works part-time and is very deserving of our respect. I know that you will enjoy speaking to him! Please let us know how everything goes for you. We would also enjoy seeing good quality pictures of your unit.

Crown Manual

That sounds great, I will of course be courteous. I have found an owners manual for my 700 series but will see what he has on the 800 owner and service manuals.

Thanks again

Jim

HI,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but after reading it through the original question doesn't seem quite answered.
I have an 909 with those same cheap adapters, and they seem to work, but what other hubs will fit correctly to a 909? and don't need a 2nd mortgage to purchase?
Thanks

HI,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but after reading it through the original question doesn't seem quite answered.
I have an 909 with those same cheap adapters, and they seem to work, but what other hubs will fit correctly to a 909? and don't need a 2nd mortgage to purchase?
Thanks
I do not own a 909, so I can't make a definitive statement on your machine.

The Teac adapters work pretty-well on most machines. The version with dimples for the reel-locks work the most reliably though. The Revox adapters are less likely to shift around when you wind though, and may be a better choice if you can't find the teacs with dimples (these seem to be rare). But I don't like the "feel" of these as well as the Teacs.

My all time favorites are Akai's adapters, but they are very finicky and will not work at all on some machines (Never use these with a Sony or a Teac). Sony made some pretty nice-two piece adapters too.

HI,
Thanks

Have a look to the post #27 in this thred. These hubs are made of metal (one piece) and have strong fasteners instead of the weak tabs of the Pioneer adapters.
They are in the price range of original Revox NABs.

Vlad

This just in.

I got an email from TEAC/TASCAM today stating the following - The hubs, part number 5598054001, are currently out of stock, cost is at $28.97 each. Please add $5 for postage/freight per order for UPS ground service within CONTINENTAL USA plus local and state sales taxes where applicable. Prices quoted are only for SHIPMENT WITHIN THE U.S. or its territories.

I called their '800' # and was told it would be ~ 30 days until new stock arrives.:sigh:

.......My all time favorites are Akai's adapters, but they are very finicky and will not work at all on some machines (Never use these with a Sony or a Teac). Sony made some pretty nice-two piece adapters too.

Are you thinking of this type of AKAI adaptor ??

attachment.php

mine works nice on my TEAC's and was fine on my Sony 765, but doesn't fit my Revox'es... weird !

Attachments

• akai_nabs.jpg
    akai_nabs.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 117
Are you thinking of this type of AKAI adaptor ??

attachment.php

mine works nice on my TEAC's and was fine on my Sony 765, but doesn't fit my Revox'es... weird !
I could be completely wrong about how these work with Teacs since I must confess that I haven't tried them on a Teac. I just see the Akai cinch-down mechanism on these as being totally redundant when used with the Teac spindles which serve exactly the same purpose.

The problem with these on the Sony R2Rs is that they will not cinch-up evenly because of the way that the back spacer-piece presses unevenly against the reel table. Test it for yourself: These will wobble slightly on your reel tables when cinched-up if you pull against them. On most machines these have a rock-solid hold on the spindle when tightened. But not on the Sonys (unfortunately).

The fact is that there really is no best option out there. Everybody's hubs fit slightly differently, and the stock hubs almost always fit best. But all things being equal, the Akai Adapters are still my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom